The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 141

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    That works rag. It's bouncier that the original, which is what I call a "couch sinker." Preferably with bourbon in hand. But you give it a little lift.
    Jeff -

I know I've done one already but it ought to be slow really and everyone's doing it that way. But any excuse for a bourbon. It's pretty straightforward except for one rather audacious note at the end... just happened by itself.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I’ll only do GJ versions of tunes that shouldn’t work haha

Van Hemert already got there with Dolphin Dance though

Great Stuff!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Great Stuff!
    Christiaan is such a great player.

DB

User Info Menu

John, nice stuff! A mix of bop and blues...and those bends!

DB, Burning! Makes me want to take another stab at it this week and get some more energy into my playing of it.

Kris-- it really works as a bossa-- I was skeptical. Great playing as always.

User Info Menu

Dutchbopper -- really fun take on the tune, and that ES 350 sounds fantastic. And yeah, I'm really liking the way this 77 sounds.

Kris: Did you post a bossa version (per Jeff's comment)? I'm not seeing anything. If you did, can someone post the url?

Rags: Leave the gun, take the cannoli.

John

User Info Menu

So here's my first go...I was listening to the backing track and singing lines earlier (yeah, im a dork) and that quote seemed to fit...

Very fine playing Jeff - as expected!

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

John
    Another fine take - love the bends there, John!

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Jeff -

I know I've done one already but it ought to be slow really and everyone's doing it that way. But any excuse for a bourbon. It's pretty straightforward except for one rather audacious note at the end... just happened by itself.

I like that better than your first take, ragman - very relaxed.

User Info Menu

That's weird, definitely worked for me early this morning...but I always look forward to hearing another.

User Info Menu

Will post today, took a couple of takes last night.

Hard to find versions that conjure up that mojo that Grant Green had on the original with Joe Henderson and Duke Pearson.

I love anything with Peter Bernstein, but that Blue Note 7 album left me thinking something was missing--I bought the album and thought, "this doesn't quite punch me in the gut as overtly and subtly as usual with the guys in their own right." Love Bill Charlap. Anything with Peter Washington is going to be a treat. And Steve Wilson? Ravi freaking Coltrane? Lewis Nash?!? I thought my ears would be in for a treat, something that would be hard to top. Something felt really tame on the album which goes against what all these musicians bring to the table on their own. Sometimes these types of albums work, sometimes not as much. I'll blame Blue Note's new management because I feel crappy saying anything bad about the musicians--they are top notch players! They kill it on their own!

This sounds better to my ears, maybe because it's live:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Well I’d love to do one of those.
    Backing tracks would not be available, which would make it difficult.

Since you're interested, check out Mountain Flight by Toninho Horta.

Part of a chart here:

Toninho Horta - Mountain Flight

What makes this tune interesting is that the harmony flows very nicely. You hear ii Vs and it's all very pretty.

Then, when you try to play it, it turns out there are a lot of unexpected key changes. Most players find it very challenging.

User Info Menu

Another take on the way:

One thing I noticed... this tune is challenging if you want to get busy with it... nah nah nah nah, nah nah naaah...

Or wait, was that... get jiggy with it?

Double timing and such felt very weird on this tune, and not because of lack of chops--this is a SLOW tune. I can double time on Ballad standards and it feels okay. With this tune, if you are not careful, you end of loosing the groove. I think this tune is groove dependent. Like bluesy, 1st line, groove dependent. Like a slow gospel. Or maybe like a slow down and dirty blues. Going double time is possible, but it's not the same way you go double time on a ballad...

Got great advice from a teacher in the past. He said, don't forget to leave space to punctuate the phrase. Space is part the musical expression. Not always like Miles Davis type space, but even Charlie Parker was well aware of how to use space to shape the phrase.

Does that make sense? Even Joe Henderson does double time different here than on the countless other ballads he's played on... by the way, his playing on Isfahan is beautiful.
    Last edited by PickingMyEars; 03-19-2021 at 03:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny vibes.Nice!
    Pat Metheny played on Prato Feito, on a Toninho Horta album. It's another very pretty tune which turns out to be challenging to play.

A few years ago I took a class from Toninho. He has his own take on harmony -- very sophisticated and always pretty -- and he plays it on standard tuning. It's really quite amazing. He played some American standards and made them sound like he wrote them. He's a brilliant composer, arranger and guitarist.

User Info Menu

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm always inspired by your playing. I'm also inspired to go find ne an ES350! WOW what a total tone monster that is. And perfect as a vehicle for your lines.
    Thanks Lawson. It’s a pity we do not live closer. I think I could help you out some.

A 350 is a very rare vintage guitar and quite expensive. Think L5 prices. The last one was made in 1956! But they sound lovely yes. Tal Farlow recorded his best work with one in the mid 50s.

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Soulful rendition! Well done!

User Info Menu

tried something different.

I didn't listen to GG before this take. I didn't listen to jazz.

What did I listen to...? Any guesses? May not have translated into my playing yet, but it's a bit of an evil experiment

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Nice and bluesy - liked those double bends.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Another nice one although I find some of your lines a bit busy...

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars

What did I listen to...? Any guesses? May not have translated into my playing yet, but it's a bit of an evil experiment
    Sorry - no idea...

User Info Menu

There are my 2 versions bossa mood Idle Moments:
    This one I made today morning on hollow body:
    Box

There is my yesterday take on Stratocaster:
    Box
    Both versions: very dreamy - I like them a lot. Nice playing, kris!

User Info Menu

Good job Jeff! For me, keep posting your "JGBE virtual jam, round x" threads. If I wanted (and had time) to propose something else, I'd just do it. Again, nice playing and I really like the balance you strike between blues and bop.

I know I need and want to incorporate more bop elements in my soloing. However, I think one needs to avoid going OTT with this particular tune.

rpjazzguitar, that was very tasty and just right for the tune, IMO. I hope to show that degree of restraint when I grow up Was that somebody saying "sounds good" in the background? I agree. Thanks for appreciating my take.

Tommo, thanks. Actually, after listening to rpjazz's take, I think you're probably right.

Kris, I listened to the first 2 minutes of both your takes and the sparsity in your phrasing really sets off the melodic content in your lines, along with judicious use of "just the right amount" of outside notes. Good stuff!

As regards my take(s), you gotta understand that I usually have about 2-3 hours after work on Friday to get something done.
    This often involves quickly learning the ***!!!""$$ tune to begin with, then coming up with something more or less musical before uploading it. Yes, it's tempting to grab the Strat and blues this one to the hilt. Not gonna happen
    Last edited by Peter C; 03-20-2021 at 08:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Lots happened while I unplugged for an evening!

Let me see here...

Rp, nice take. You take your time, develop some ideas, no rushing, always in pocket.

Peter C, love the energy, as always...and I see you picked that track with the drums that hit a little harder...good choice. That seems trivial, but to me it says you know your playing and you made a decision that would allow you to express yourself better. That's important.

Still want to see somebody take me up on my "keep it short" challenge...but I'll also challenge myself and do a longer take today. And no "Careless Whisper" this time, I promise...

Oops, missed PickingmyEars! And Kris re-upload-ed!

Picking, I have no idea what you listened to but I liked the take. If you're cool with one bit of criticism, sometimes you land on cool notes, but you just let them die...a little jim hall "back and forth" vibrato to extend the life of the note would go a long way in making your lines sound more confident.

Kris-- first observation-- you sound like you on whatever guitar you play, which is a great thing. The slow bossa really works, and your thoughtful, melodic playing is really enjoyable.

User Info Menu

Yeah, thanks. I think I opened the first or second YT backing track (the GG-style one) and said let's do this before the neighbours start complaining

User Info Menu

I think it's high time to make a decision.
    I'm leaving Virtual Jam.

User Info Menu

I think it's high time to make a decision.
    I'm leaving Virtual Jam.
    Why? I'm confused.

User Info Menu

Why? I'm confused.

Me too...

User Info Menu

Anyway - here's my take. The backing track has two choruses of the head so I played them. I wanted to edit the first one and the second solo chorus to keep it short but my software kept crashing so I decided to just upload it to youtube the way it is. One bum note but I kept it in there instead of redoing - it's ajam, right?