The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Posts 301 to 311 of 311

User Info Menu

Running way behind here... a basic shot at playing the melody (nicely I hope). Still working on the improvisation.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Running way behind here... a basic shot at playing the melody (nicely I hope). Still working on the improvisation.

The video cuts off a few bars into your solo, but sounds like you were off to a good start. If I can find some time I’d like to write out a solo using the melody as a scaffolding. And maybe another one using the rhythm of the melody as a scaffolding.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    The video cuts off a few bars into your solo, but sounds like you were off to a good start. If I can find some time I’d like to write out a solo using the melody as a scaffolding. And maybe another one using the rhythm of the melody as a scaffolding.
    Yes I was really only focusing on the tune. I have a halting attempt at a solo coming up later.

User Info Menu

So here is an attempt at the tune plus a halting attempt at a solo. I can say I survived the solo. I can't say the song did.

User Info Menu

So here is an attempt at the tune plus a halting attempt at a solo. I can say I survived the solo. I can't say the song did.

Oh, enough with that. Solo sounded good. I could hear some of those challenging harmonies in your lines. I think everyone struggled with this tune on the thread in one way or another. It's a hard tune. But just because it's challenging, doesn't mean it ain't worth diving into.

I REALLY like the tone you got on that take as well. Very jangly and bright--that's how I like my archtop to sound (but mine can't jangle like that).

And you kept the time moving and didn't let the chord changes turn your solo into a train wreck. Felt nice and relaxed.

I really have to work on getting chordal playing into my solo'ing... The melody really sung the way you paired it with the harmony.

Tunes like this are like the giving tree, but hopefully a wee bit less depressing

User Info Menu

I got a simple chord melody together and decided to explain it in a video.

Hopefully, others may do the same thing -- and we'll end up sharing chord melody ideas.

Some notes: my first attempt and I know it needs landscape mode, better sound and editing. Next one, maybe

For the C#m7 near the end, I called it a Cm7. It's C#m7.

Also the change from the Bsusb9 to the next chord (Cmaj7) is F# to G not F# to C, which the %^&* in the video stated.

User Info Menu

Nailed it. It looked to me like you started out very comfortable, playing familiar bebop-influenced lines during the A section. Then when the harmony shifted into pedals and slash chords, you seemed to start following the chord shapes. Then you ended it by dancing around the melody. Nice take. Do you plan to stick with this tune? DD and Nica’s Dream have both made it into my practice rotation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Nailed it. It looked to me like you started out very comfortable, playing familiar bebop-influenced lines during the A section. Then when the harmony shifted into pedals and slash chords, you seemed to start following the chord shapes. Then you ended it by dancing around the melody. Nice take. Do you plan to stick with this tune? DD and Nica’s Dream have both made it into my practice rotation.
    you've tracked my thinking perfectly. Anytime I'm near a ii-V I tend to fall into a bop lick. The Fm7 Bb7 was too much of a leap, though. And then the descending 7sus chords, yep, played chord shapes. The last few lines, i'm still not able to think through the harmony so I decided indeed to play around with the melody, which isn't a bad approach, I think, plus in a live band, the it helps the rhythm section know I'm not entirely lost.

I do want to keep working on this tune. It's so beautiful, it's different from the AABA standards I play typically, it's an easy tempo, so sure, I plan to hang on to it as well as Nicas Dream.

User Info Menu

The statement of the head worked great. Time was right on.

In the solo section I think you may have gotten off by a beat by the time you reached the pedal G section.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 03-30-2021 at 04:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Coming along very nicely!

User Info Menu