The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 311

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Could be a good tune for a study group to sit on for a month.
    Would be cool, but then it wouldn’t be a jam so much I suppose?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I'm thinking about why this might not be a good tune for a beginner.

Maybe it would be a good tune to show a beginner where he's heading. It might have an impact on the direction of learning.

The tune can be played without a lot of chops. It demonstrates why you need to have a foundation for improvising over unfamiliar harmony.

There are some very different approaches to doing that.

I'd suggest emphasizing the importance of

1. Knowing the melody. The player should be able to sing it.

2. Getting the flow of the harmony to sound so familiar that you always know what's coming next.

3. Finding notes that work with each part of the song. Start with chord tones, then extensions. Don't worry about tensions yet.

4. Realizing that making a melody requires linking things in different keys. Working on doing that by scat singing or playing a scale until andof4 and then switching to the nearest note in the next scale. Or some other way. The idea is to understand what it takes to play something that doesn't sound disjointed.

5. Understanding that not all songs have predictable, functional harmony. And, that, if you want to be able to play this kind of song, you're going to have to get some basic skills together, e.g. knowing which notes will sound consonant over each chord and where they lie on the fingerboard.

Seems like a good song for a lesson.
    Full consent,
    Dolphin Dance teaches a different approach to playing / improvising /. Getting a longer form of a piece is not easy, but everyone has the opportunity to try. Even listening to others play it is a kind of learning for everyone.
    Sometimes you participate in jams without playing with the hope that someday you can dare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    It is very good that we can analyze different performances here, and I have been doing it for over 40 years.
    I check the chords of the tunes and often see how differently you can treat harmony.
    It is the best school for jazz musician.
    and it’s all accessible at the press of a few keys. No wonder all the kids are killing it.

User Info Menu

Full consent,
    Dolphin Dance teaches a different approach to playing / improvising /. Getting a longer form of a piece is not easy, but everyone has the opportunity to try. Even listening to others play it is a kind of learning for everyone.
    Sometimes you participate in jams without playing with the hope that someday you can dare.
    And some times you are on stage reading for the first time through a chart as best you can. This is something that happens too.... usually I get ambushed by Kenny Wheeler charts for some reason

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    You can go ahead and ask the question:
    Should I improvise on a piece that I don't know?

User Info Menu

You can go ahead and ask the question:
    Should I improvise on a piece that I don't know?
    In theory, no.

In reality, happens all the time. You develop skills necessary to ‘fake it’ which is an important skillset IMO.

’here’s a tune I wrote, shall we try it?’

London is quite a zero-rehearsal ‘put it together on the bandstand’ environment though; for better or for worse. Players pride themselves on being able to do things with no preparation.... so it’s a bit part of the culture.

Good points, you can put something good together very fast, bad points it can be frustrating trying to get things to the next level.

Of c19 has made me much more mindful of the details in everything as I’m recording so much.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Did this take a while back.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper

DB

That’s the stuff I’m looking for! Inspiring!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper

DB

Hi DB,
    Nice to see you on Virtual JAM.
    Great playing with a lot of great jazz lines.
    Could you tell us a secret how long have you known this tune?
    Maybe in your answer there will be a recipe for the less initiated guitarists...
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

You can take the tune out of bop but you can't take the bop out of DB!

Nice take, great swinging relaxed lines. And great track (I assume it's a track, sounds like you playing both guitar parts? Or was this recorded with a band and another guitarist?)

User Info Menu

Dick - that's wonderful! Reg: excellent considering it was an impromptu thing!

User Info Menu

Here’s mine. Backing is an Aebersold track.

User Info Menu

Beautiful lines, graham - love it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I didn’t mean in these jam threads. Separately.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

Very good recording, excellent sound quality.
    Great proportions between guitar and backing tr.
    Intelligent guitar playing with refined taste.

User Info Menu

Looks like I'll have to skip this one, having a hard time to get into the form and chord progression. Nonetheless: I have learned quite a bit trying to play it.

User Info Menu

Classy playing, for lack of a better word...melodic, thoughtful....your lines "make sense." Great stuff.

User Info Menu

Tone is classic. Time feel is nice. Lines are interesting. Nice job!

User Info Menu

wow thats cool

User Info Menu

Thanks everybody, must admit I had to shed the changes quite a bit before attempting this one, it’s not easy.

I got fascinated by what Herbie plays in his solo on those last few weird chords. He seems to play cascades of diminished-type runs, very interesting. I figured most of them out, they do outline the harmony of those chords. What a genius that guy is!

User Info Menu

You and Dick have now got me wanting to get into this tune. Wonderful playing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    You and Dick have now got me wanting to get into this tune. Wonderful playing!
    Do it! Its quite rewarding.

I'm telling y'all, reduce the melody. Find one note that sounds super strong over those "weird chords" and play off that. Its ok to improvise on melody.

User Info Menu

I liked Graham's take (and being able to watch it) and if it had been posted earlier, would def. have copied most of it straight, then added my own spin

Reg, thanks for listening to my "petites compositions". What I dig most about your playing is the sheer groove man; that 16th note stuff sounds like you're revving up before diving into a killer, bluesy lick. Cool stuff. I would normally post something (anything) but chose not to on this occasion out of respect for the tune. Just a personal thing.

Kris, you're definitely a player, no doubt about that, but there's something in your posts that brings Basil Fawlty to mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Do it! Its quite rewarding.

I'm telling y'all, reduce the melody. Find one note that sounds super strong over those "weird chords" and play off that. Its ok to improvise on melody.
    This the approach I am going with. Got the melody down tonight, would like to be comfortable enough to post something before the week is out. I can’t make heads or tails of much of the harmony, but the melody should provide a scaffolding on which to build.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I liked Graham's take (and being able to watch it) and if it had been posted earlier, would def. have copied most of it straight, then added my own spin

Reg, thanks for listening to my "petites compositions". What I dig most about your playing is the sheer groove man; that 16th note stuff sounds like you're revving up before diving into a killer, bluesy lick. Cool stuff. I would normally post something (anything) but chose not to on this occasion out of respect for the tune. Just a personal thing.

Kris, you're definitely a player, no doubt about that, but there's something in your posts that brings Basil Fawlty to mind.
    Congratulations on your humor.
    Last edited by kris; 03-17-2021 at 04:11 AM.