The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 168

User Info Menu

Ronstuff: good stuff. I like the sparseness of it. If I had a bassist handy, I'd do something similar. For now, backing tracks will have to do. FYI, my method is to play it through a few times to get familiar with the backing track (and/or learn the tune if it's a new one on me), and then just record a take. No edits or punches, and definitely not obsessing over trying to get a perfect take.

Wzpsgrxyzpdqwertuiop: I thought this was really good. Good groove, good harmonic choices, good flow. If there were clams, I didn't particularly notice them.

Tommo: another really tasty one. Re: Santana, no conscious imitation on my part, but I've certainly listened to him a lot and that's bound to creep in.

Hep: another great one. If Dick Dale and Robben Ford had a baby, that what s/he'd sound like.

Lawson: Good ideas and groove. I agree you probably need to shed it a bit more to get the form and changes deeper into muscle memory, but the approach is right on. This tune is more about phrasing, articulation, and feel, and much less hip bebop-isms. I like the way you're focusing on that.

Between my two long comments, I think I got everybody. If I didn't comment it's because I missed your post, so point me to it.

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

warts and all

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    warts and all

Great groove! Excellent blues lines, and cool framed Larry Young album.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    FYI, my method is to play it through a few times to get familiar with the backing track (and/or learn the tune if it's a new one on me), and then just record a take. No edits or punches, and definitely not obsessing over trying to get a perfect take.
    That's my approach as well.

Tommo: another really tasty one.

John
    Thank you John!

warts and all

Glad you joined! "Würg Song" - LOL! fine swinging lines - I wish you had recorded a bit longer.

User Info Menu

warts and all
    and a bit of Birk’s Works!

User Info Menu

warts and all

Dig!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Great groove! Excellent blues lines, and cool framed Larry Young album.
    well spotted. unity is such a fantastic record.

i dont know how to multi-quote so thanks to all for the kind words regarding my sloppy mess. i havent played a gig in a whole year now and hardly remember what actual playing feels like.

User Info Menu

Wzpsgrxyzpdqwertuiop
    I didn’t think anyone here knew my last name.

User Info Menu

well spotted. unity is such a fantastic record.

i dont know how to multi-quote so thanks to all for the kind words regarding my sloppy mess. i havent played a gig in a whole year now and hardly remember what actual playing feels like.
    Multiquoting: click on the lower right icon to multiquote a post and the last post you want to quote click on "reply with quote"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    LS,
    Your sound is the best jazz guitar sound over this jam.The backing track is fantastic - a fancy driving bass and drums play.
    In my opinion you would surely feel much comfortable at a slightly slower tempo.
    The rhythm section provokes a rush behind it and drives improvisation.
    anyway...this is jam.
    Thank you so much. I was thinking about which guitar to use, and remembered your praise of the L5, so I thought I'd use the L5 on this one. I'm glad you liked it, and thank you for the good word.

Yes, you're right, I felt a little "pushed" by the tempo. It's just the default, but I use Capo! software so maybe I should slow it down a bit.

The backing track is the one Hal Leonard produced to accompany their 2nd Edition (legal) of the Real Book. I like those tracks a lot. They often try to emulate a famous recording of the tune, which is fun.

Your track has me wondering is a bossa or afro-cuban approach to the tune is in my future?

User Info Menu

Lawson: Good ideas and groove. I agree you probably need to shed it a bit more to get the form and changes deeper into muscle memory, but the approach is right on. This tune is more about phrasing, articulation, and feel, and much less hip bebop-isms. I like the way you're focusing on that.

Between my two long comments, I think I got everybody. If I didn't comment it's because I missed your post, so point me to it.

John
    Thanks for the advice. I definitely still need to learn this tune, and pay better attention to the "Changes" though they be but few! My Number One goal in my music, though, is to learn bebop language, so I think trying to use hip bebop-isms is just part of the gig for me. I spent my teen years playing overdriven blues/rock stuff, and I'm done with that. Great for others, but not for me.

User Info Menu

Lawson, id say your best take here so far! Really grooves, in pocket, nice lines, lots of blues.
    Thanks Mr. B. This set of threads has been, for me, all about trying to free up a little and use what I've been learning, so your comment is much appreciated.

User Info Menu

For everyone who thinks that I mix too much with the styles, a very swinging version and I feel very successful ...
    I changed the setup on the hollow-body guitar, the strings are high, but the sound is clearer.

Box

User Info Menu

Very relaxed and unhurried, kris - enjoyed it a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Very relaxed and unhurried, kris - enjoyed it a lot.
    Thanks a lot Tommo,
    I think playing in different styles teaches me to have a relaxed look at the song.I'm learning to play all the time and it's a pity that I can't play live. It's nice that we can at least play virtually here.
    Jazzingly
    kris

User Info Menu

For everyone who thinks that I mix too much with the styles, a very swinging version and I feel very successful ...
    I changed the setup on the hollow-body guitar, the strings are high, but the sound is clearer.

Box
    I like it! You get great sound out of that guitar, however you have set it up. Those lines would sound great on any guitar.

User Info Menu

Great swinging take Kris.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I like it! You get great sound out of that guitar, however you have set it up. Those lines would sound great on any guitar.
    Thank you very much.
    I am aware that old wine tastes better.
    Best Regards
    Kris

User Info Menu

Great swinging take Kris.
    Thank you Jeff,
    You are my inspiration for jam. You choose very good songs.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

Well, I got up this morning...

... and after trying all kinds of clever jazzy stuff decided to keep it as a simple work song. As I'm not some tortured soul on a chain gang it was quite hard not letting those pretty notes creep in... but at least Jeff won't think I'm lazing around :-)

User Info Menu

Thank you very much.
    I am aware that old wine tastes better.
    Best Regards
    Kris
    There are certain new wines, however, that are quite popular and have a very distinctive and fresh taste. THere's room for both in jazz, even if some of us (like me) prefer the older. If we don't have the new, then one day we won't have any at all.

User Info Menu

Box
    Very nice. And thanks for giving credence to those of us that like to "ride 'em high." I put in taller frets, and raise my bridge high enough to allow me to dig in and not fret out. Helps me vary the dynamics. Also gives my guitar "the sound." A lot people in these parts like to brag about setting up a guitar like a limbo contest "how low can you go." That's cool but it ain't the only acceptable way to setup a geetar

For me, the trick is to raise the bridge just right. Too high and all the sustain cuts--that's Freddie Green territory. But if you get right underneath that threshold... To me, it sounds like Wes and Grant Green.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I set my action as low is it can be where I can hit the note as hard as I want and not have it get splatty. Which I guess some folks would find high, but I like DYNAMICS.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    There are certain new wines, however, that are quite popular and have a very distinctive and fresh taste. THere's room for both in jazz, even if some of us (like me) prefer the older. If we don't have the new, then one day we won't have any at all.
    There is a solution:
    Then we can drink old whiskey or young Polish vodka.

User Info Menu

There is a solution:
    Then we can drink old whiskey or young Polish vodka.
    I would not last very long...