The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 168

User Info Menu

Ah, a great Friday here. Decided to indulge my Catholic side and head over to Calumet Fisheries for lunch (located on the bridge the Blues Brothers jump the car over), and as everybody does, I ate half hanging out of my car and plugged in the ol aux cable and listened to some of y'all.

rag, laid back style kinda suits this in a way...you're not working on a chain gang, but home chilling after a long day of labor. Yeah, harmonically, there's not much this tune gives you, so it's about feel, melody, rhythmic interest...more on that later.

Picking, those lyrics hit close to home. Very nice lines on this one, more cliche free playing from you. Interesting so much singing with this one, you writing lyrics, rp singing his lines in his post...it's a CATCHY mf ain't it? I've been singing it around the house the last two days now, trying to impersonate Lou Rawls, because I'm convinced there's some unreleased version of him singing it out there, and it's absolutely killing.

Kris, like rag, the "after work" version. Or "Work" song if you're like a jigolo or something. I mean that as a compliment I like smooth/r&b/funk jazz takes when the playing is of a high level and there's clearly improvising going on, and I hear that in yours.

Ok, harmonic movement...what exactly am I doing there...let's see. Definitely throwing in a tritone sub before that G7 at the end of the form a few times.

I think my brain visits a iv minor chord that isn't there a few times. It's there on the head of the Butterfield version. Maybe that's stuck in my head. There's a little sidestepping/ attempt to get a little outside on the transitions in a few spots...not sure how well it connects. And there's one pure accident on a C7 where I go for a b9#5 sound...and start my lick a half step too low

Deceptive day here. Sun is warm and bright, but air is still chilly. But at least since my students are still e-learning, they don't have to smell the smoked fish on me

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

This is artistic nudism; I only practice a few hours a week, but WTH.

User Info Menu

artistic nudism
    :-)

User Info Menu

Mr. B -

you're not working on a chain gang, but home chilling after a long day of labor
    Too right. I've worked on many a chain gang, there's not much to be said for it :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    John,
    Exelent sound and playing.The overdriven guitar sounds great.You need more funky in background.
    I'd be glad to use yours, if you're sharing

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Mmm... I'd heard what Wes was doing and seen the transcription already. I know you're supposed to be able to play what you want as it's 'jazz' but I thought turning it into a near-standard 12-bar in F was getting round it a bit, frankly.

I'm not sure about the article. There's a bit of overthink going on for me. I'm really not sure the author's saying anything new, just the usual academic stuff about 'blues tonality' and all that. And to my mind he's making a lot of fuss over Wes' solo which is pretty standard fare (for Wes).

No, the tune's in Fm (some people play it in Dm) and it is what it is. Probably the additional F7/Bb7/G7 (usually played Db7)/C7 is unnecessary but it adds something to the backing.

The whole thing, as written, is just Fm. F7#9 can be played as Fm, the ii of Bb7 is Fm and Db7 to C7 is just a slide-in. So using the Fm blues scale all the way through is the simplest way to deal with it.

But, of course, that's pretty deadly to play for more than a couple of choruses. So the challenge, if you like, is to make something else of it. Easier said than done, naturally.

Don't be offended because you posted the article, please, it's just a comment :-)
    The whole thing as written? On what chart by whom? I mean the guy who is credited as the composer has recorded it both ways, so that's a pretty bold statement. Anyway, I think it's F blues, with an ambiguous third, as is the nature of blues. Most people lean minor sprinkled with major, but the reverse is valid. As long as everyone in the band is on the same page, you don't have to be dogmatic about it.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    And there's one pure accident on a C7 where I go for a b9#5 sound...and start my lick a half step too low
    Finally, somebody suggests a technique that I can use!

More seriously, thanks for the run-down.

User Info Menu

Nice takes everyone

me in a kitchen with a laminate nylon string

Working it out

forgot my pick, but I’ve been working on my fingerstyle.

User Info Menu

Well Jeff, your tone has convinced me that I need to get back to flatwounds, to try a less stacatto feel. Good phrasing as always, locked into the rhythm. I don't know if that's a Schaller pup in your Heritage - I had no complaints with mine.

John A. with that vibrato control, you've obviously played a lot of blues-rock at some time in the past. Touché, Monsieur.

rpjazzguitar, I especially liked your some of your note choices over the C7 back to Fm part.

ragman's lines, whether by design or accident (probably a combination of both), are at times fascinating.

I don't know who (or what) was plucking Christian's A string, but it certainly created some tension there. Anyway, very interesting chord work.

User Info Menu

Christian, cool sound with the acoustic bass with the nylon. I gotta admit, I was like "ooh, whats he doing here?" During the head, but your solo settled in really nicely rhythmically and you (as always) played some great lines.

Peter, I thought I was going to have to get mad at you as those 3 seconds of strat sounded great. But then you brought just as much energy to the archtop take. Made me smile a mile.

User Info Menu

Peter,

Your second take, with the ol' archie...

Sounds like you were shot outta a cannon.

Very explosive energy and great playing. I usually have to work up to that type of energy

Nice indeed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C

Really nice time feel. I especially liked it on the octaves at the end.

User Info Menu

I'm sticking to the the idea of just playing and putting it out there!

Again with a Bass player and the drum Genius app.

With a little variation in the chords...

Ron

User Info Menu

Peter C: I was also kind of hoping for more the strat, but the archtop was cool. Good energy and vibe. And yes, I've played a lot of electric blues.

Christian: I liked the chord-soloing a lot.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff

Ron

I like this a lot. Your variation on the harmony benefits from slowing it down a bit, great choice. Cool lines, outstanding feel. I've said it before, but this is the kind of playing I like listening to.

Haven't mentioned it to you yet, but that bass player's damn good too. Stay close to that guy.

User Info Menu

Hi John,
    Thanks for listening.
    This bacing track I made on BB 2019-very creative tool.
    Best
    Kris
    This track is so good! Any chance you're ok to share?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    This track is so good! Any chance you're ok to share?
    No problem, for everyone who wants to play the Work Song in a different style ... funky jazz.
    The piano plays 8 bars of the intro/ Fm7 I Bb/F I Fm7 I Bb/F I Fm7 I Bb/F I Fm7 I C7alt
    Have fun:
    Box

User Info Menu

Great variety of feel and tempos in the takes here!

Peter C: liked your tone - reminded me a bit Grant green when he dialed in his amp on the verge of break up.

Christian: never thouhjt that this tune would work on a nylon string.

Ronstuff: great bluesy lines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff

Ron

Great sounding guitar .Nice feel and playing no unnecessary fireworks.Cool.

User Info Menu

No problem, for everyone who wants to play the Work Song in a different style ... funky jazz.
    The piano plays 8 bars of the intro/ Fm7 I Bb/F I Fm7 I Bb/F I Fm7 I Bb/F I Fm7 I C7alt
    Have fun:
    Box
    Great thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Nice takes everyone

me in a kitchen with a laminate nylon string

Working it out

forgot my pick, but I’ve been working on my fingerstyle.
    Nice playing on nylons-free variation on the theme/head/.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C

Even though you don't exercise as much as you would like, you have a lot more energy than everyone here in the jam.

User Info Menu

Nice playing on nylons-free variation on the theme/head/.
    That's basically me not quite knowing how it goes. Poker face is working well though (or you guys are too kind, one of the two.)

Less dorky takes to follow :-)

User Info Menu

Even though you don't exercise as much as you would like, you have a lot more energy than everyone here in the jam.
    In my case that is admittedly setting a very low bar.

Mind you I had a night's sleep last night, so feeling' good.