Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 151 to 168 of 168
  1. #151

    User Info Menu

    Barry Harris seems to have been a sideman on loads of records in the 1950s/60s so some of them were bound to be hard bop. Some more I can think of are Hank Mobley - The Turnaround, and Dexter Gordon - Clubhouse, and Gettin’ Around.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #152

    User Info Menu

    This is a good one. Not quite hard bop perhaps but ample blues feeling on many of these takes


  4. #153

    User Info Menu

    Damn, just pulled up that album.

    Clifford Jordan is a HELL of a player.

    Check out Cliff Craft.

    Anyway, we all forgot something in our solos and presentation...

    The obvious... quoting Black Gospel songs and hymns in our playing. That's a big part of Hardbop, the soul and gospel of it all.

    I still want to give it a go with that in mind. That said, hopefully quoting gospel tunes in a jazz improvisation instead offensive... I'm agnostic myself, but I don't want to sully someone else's beliefs.

  5. #154

    User Info Menu

    Okay, here is what I was talking about...



    Much harder than I thought. I don't like thinking about stuff when I improvise, at that point I want my ears driving the bus. Thinking is for when I can take things outta time and SLOW them down--can't think that fast.

    I was really thinking of these melodies before I played them. Can anyone name them all?

    The first and last melody lend themselves naturally to the tune. The major based ones were a harder lot.

    Anyway, at least I didn't sing on this one

  6. #155

    User Info Menu

    I just read somewhere that Work Song was inspired by Nat Adderley’s childhood memories of seeing a convict chain-gang singing while they worked outside his house in Florida. Something else to think about when playing it!

  7. #156

    User Info Menu

    So this is my final effort on this tune before moving on. I have to say, I enjoy playing this. I wish that joy translated into more creative playing, but still, pleasure counts! I also am making a lecture video for one of my classes dealing with the oppression, bondage, and deliverance of the Hebrew from Egypt, and I am going to use "Work Song" as an intro and outro for that lecture.

    Any final words of advice are appreciated.


  8. #157

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So this is my final effort on this tune before moving on. I have to say, I enjoy playing this. I wish that joy translated into more creative playing, but still, pleasure counts! I also am making a lecture video for one of my classes dealing with the oppression, bondage, and deliverance of the Hebrew from Egypt, and I am going to use "Work Song" as an intro and outro for that lecture.

    Any final words of advice are appreciated.

    Ah, man, it ended right as you were getting really into it. Those double stops and the sweep picked stuff sounded great!

  9. #158

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ah, man, it ended right as you were getting really into it. Those double stops and the sweep picked stuff sounded great!
    Right! What I was missing was accentuating important key notes, especially in the head's melody. it's a tune that needs some balls in my humble opinion.

  10. #159

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Right! What I was missing was accentuating important key notes, especially in the head's melody. it's a tune that needs some balls in my humble opinion.
    Are saying I got no balls?? Wanna take it outside? (KIDDING!) I thought I was emphasizing fine, but I guess not.

  11. #160

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Are saying I got no balls?? Wanna take it outside? (KIDDING!) I thought I was emphasizing fine, but I guess not.
    I'm pretty sure you've got a proper set... well, it's probably just me who's missing it...

  12. #161

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    I'm pretty sure you've got a proper set... well, it's probably just me who's missing it...
    I will confess I haven't listened to a lot of performances of the tune. Ive also always been impressed by a quote I read somewhere about B. B. King when he did a recording with Gary Burton. Evidently folks were worried B.B. would play such a hard blues feel that the quality of the recording as a "jazz" date would be lost. But the comment was something to the effect that B.B. played with a bluesman's passion but a jazzman's reserve." I have always thought of jazz as using the blues, but bringing a certain reserve to it. I'm not B.B., SRV, or any other blues player. I'm an aspiring jazz player, so I don't try to play like a blues man. Does that make sense? So I just tried to play the tune with accents that came out of my sense of the melody. That doesn't stop it from being lame or weak, of course! I would have listened to more performances if we had longer than a week, but I do this in spare minutes between classes or on breaks from research and writing, so there isn't a lot of time to explore.

    I'll try to think about that, though, going forward.

  13. #162

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I'm an aspiring jazz player, so I don't try to play like a blues man. Does that make sense?
    Absolutely. Call me an aspiring jazz player just as well but I come from blues playing it for thirty plus years as a professional so I tend to interpret blues based tunes in a certain way.


    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So I just tried to play the tune with accents that came out of my sense of the melody. That doesn't stop it from being lame or weak, of course!
    Sorry: I didn't mean to say that your playing was lame or weak...

  14. #163

    User Info Menu

    It's still Thursday so here's a final blast.


  15. #164

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Absolutely. Call me an aspiring jazz player just as well but I come from blues playing it for thirty plus years as a professional so I tend to interpret blues based tunes in a certain way.




    Sorry: I didn't mean to say that your playing was lame or weak...
    Just kidding a little, no worries. I did learn this pretty much off the lead sheet with a bit of remembering how it went from just hearing it, so probably I do need to work with the phrasing more. No offense taken, I appreciate your feedback.

    ON the other point, I tend to think a tune like this is 75% jazz and 25% blues, so I use blues ideas to resolve things, but try to build up to it with something that sounds more scalar or jazz influenced. At least that's the idea: climb up the mountain with jazz and bop ideas, swing up to the summit with a blues lick.

  16. #165

    User Info Menu

    I hate to plague you guys with Yet Another Clip, but this tune has been digging at me somehow. I felt really good on this one, though that doesn't mean the music is any better.

    To simplify, I decided to make my reference simply Ab Major. It keeps me from hanging out on the F note (minor root) all the time. Thinking in Ab Major also sends me away from tired blues cliches (though I still love them!) and some different ideas that don't come to me when I'm "thinking" minor or blues.

    So... I swear, this is my last Work Song. I'm over-worked, worked out, and worked through.


  17. #166

    User Info Menu

    I like it Lawson!

    I also dig the snarkier 175 tone, especially on the low notes.

  18. #167

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I hate to plague you guys with Yet Another Clip, but this tune has been digging at me somehow. I felt really good on this one, though that doesn't mean the music is any better.

    To simplify, I decided to make my reference simply Ab Major. It keeps me from hanging out on the F note (minor root) all the time. Thinking in Ab Major also sends me away from tired blues cliches (though I still love them!) and some different ideas that don't come to me when I'm "thinking" minor or blues.

    So... I swear, this is my last Work Song. I'm over-worked, worked out, and worked through.
    I liked that much better, lawson! Like Jeff mentioned: the tone of the ES 175 may have to do with it but to my ears it's also playing some notes staccato and employing some slides into target notes (especially in the head / theme) that puts some tasty spice into it - well done!

  19. #168

    User Info Menu

    thanks to Matt Jones for suggesting I post this here. I haven’t actually listened back to this since the day it went on YouTube, so I hope it’s decent. Well, Matt thought so