The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 168

User Info Menu

Thank you Kris for the track, it's a lot of fun and perfect for what I had in mind

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Anton,
    Great feelings in intro over piano chords.Very nice powerfull playing.Great thinline Tele sound.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Hi Anton,
    Great feelings in intro over piano chords.Very nice powerfull playing.Great thinline Tele sound.
    Best
    Kris
    Much appreciated Kris

User Info Menu

Tommo -

You were the blues guy during lockdown. I'd have thought this tune was up your street. Aren't you going to do anything with it? Only wondering

User Info Menu

Hey, its only been a day!

Hep, I liked that, right from the volume swells...which aren't as easy on a thinline IIRC

Gets a little Carlton-esque even!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Tommo -

You were the blues guy during lockdown. I'd have thought this tune was up your street. Aren't you going to do anything with it? Only wondering
    Still am! And that tune sure is right up my street. Have been a bit busy the last couple of days with giving lessons and some other unexpected and unnecessary sh*t. Guess I'll give it a shot tomorrow!
    Thanks for asking!

User Info Menu

So while I'm learning the tune itself, I thought I'd go ahead and take a stab at improvising. This is pretty spontaneous, i.e. unpremeditated, ie. I have no idea what I'm doing. It's kind of a "working draft" as it were.. a very drafty one at that. Honestly, I enjoyed hearing the L5ces through the Princeton so much I just couldn't stop playing even when I ran out of ideas.

Think of this as a cry for help!

User Info Menu

Sorry about the Strat joke Anyway, I really didn't seriously consider that option here. John A and Hep took care of the overdriven stuff

Getting to look forward to Ronstuff's contributions. Very personal feel.

Regarding the "energy" in my take/s (alluded to several times), I wasn't aware of that as a thing as I just play naturally. Good to know it's appreciated. I would actually like to get the "plink" out my archtop sound, but that would mean a more complex and time-consuming recording approach. Never been a standards player (pretty obvious) but exposure to jazz harmony has really opened up my approach to music in general. Very grateful for that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Hey, its only been a day!
    Just what I was thinking. Normally, it's 'Hey, it's only Sunday or Monday! ' Next one'll all be over in 20 minutes :-)

User Info Menu

Lawson - I say, that was rather impressive!

User Info Menu

Here's another using Kris's funky backing track. No video this time.

For those keeping score at home:
    Guitar: D'Angelico EX DC
    OD: Joyo Tai Chi pedal (Zendrive clone)
    Amp: Garageband BF Super Reverb model
    Effects: A little chorus and stereo delay; a lot of reverb, all GB plug-in

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Here's another using Kris's funky backing track. No video this time.

For those keeping score at home:
    Guitar: D'Angelico EX DC
    OD: Joyo Tai Chi pedal (Zendrive clone)
    Amp: Garageband BF Super Reverb model
    Effects: A little chorus and stereo delay; a lot of reverb, all GB plug-in

John
    Hi John,
    Exelent playing with a great feel...look like real jam!!!Screaming guitar-I like it.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

...continuing jam:
    There is my happy after work version on my my arch-top hollow-body gutar.
    Box

User Info Menu

Still working through this, but here’s a few choruses. This tempo is getting up there for me it for me, so expect some clams!

User Info Menu

...continuing jam:
    Box
    Another great groove. Really digging it.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Still working through this, but here’s a few choruses. This tempo is getting up there for me it for me, so expect some clams!

Clams, eh? Maybe those New Zealand variety cause DAYUMMMMM, that was TASTY.

I guess you paired those clams with some nice fixings and quality home made spaget, cause that was mighty fine playing. I really enjoyed it. Might steal some of those clams for myself

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So while I'm learning the tune itself, I thought I'd go ahead and take a stab at improvising. This is pretty spontaneous,
    Now that's mighty fine for such a spontaneous take, lawson!

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Here's another using Kris's funky backing track.
    John
    Rockin' - do I hear a tiny bit of Santana in there if you don't mind asking?...
    ...continuing jam:
    Box
    Cool groove and relaxed playing, kris!

I like your laid back approch - good space between the lines.

User Info Menu

fun story: i once saw a then-young-lion alto sax player, who shall remain unnamed, standing next to nat adderley reading worksong from the aebersold playalong lead sheet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So while I'm learning the tune itself, I thought I'd go ahead and take a stab at improvising. This is pretty spontaneous, i.e. unpremeditated, ie. I have no idea what I'm doing. It's kind of a "working draft" as it were.. a very drafty one at that. Honestly, I enjoyed hearing the L5ces through the Princeton so much I just couldn't stop playing even when I ran out of ideas.

Think of this as a cry for help!

LS,
    Your sound is the best jazz guitar sound over this jam.The backing track is fantastic - a fancy driving bass and drums play.
    In my opinion you would surely feel much comfortable at a slightly slower tempo.
    The rhythm section provokes a rush behind it and drives improvisation.
    anyway...this is jam.

User Info Menu

Here's my contribution - guitar could be a bit louder compared to the backing track but I didn't want to re-record because this is the first take like it is supposed to be:

Like before: any comments, suggestions, critique are welcome.

Thanks for watching and listening.

User Info Menu

Tommo,
    Nice playing ...Very good rhythmic phrasing.Guitar is ok- it doesn't have to be louder.You're pretty well suited to backing.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Lawson, id say your best take here so far! Really grooves, in pocket, nice lines, lots of blues.

Wzpgsr, love the tone a swinging lines. Where did you get the organ track? That sounds so good and your playing fits it perfectly.

TOMMO, nice take...love that you threw in some Kessel/Ellis bends.

I might have a go with that wacky kris track. Its like the complete antithesis of what I thought should work for this song, but everyone sounds great on it!

User Info Menu

Thank you kris and Jeff!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Lawson, id say your best take here so far! Really grooves, in pocket, nice lines, lots of blues.

Wzpgsr, love the tone a swinging lines. Where did you get the organ track? That sounds so good and your playing fits it perfectly.

TOMMO, nice take...love that you threw in some Kessel/Ellis bends.

I might have a go with that wacky kris track. Its like the complete antithesis of what I thought should work for this song, but everyone sounds great on it!
    Thanks, Jeff. Aebersold tracks are available for purchase on Apple Music or direct from Aebersold’s website. 99 cents a pop.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Jeff. Aebersold tracks are available for purchase on Apple Music or direct from Aebersold’s website. 99 cents a pop.
    Oh cool, thats an Aebersold...wonder who's on organ?

I don't do apple music, but I didn't know you could buy direct from the website. Thats awesome, great info, thanks.