The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Posts 201 to 222 of 222

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Is it "on the trail"?

Love that tune:

It's not, but that sure is a pleasant little tune...doesn't get played much, I don't think?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Re: multiple posts, go right ahead if you want. I actually want to make sure the idea of multiple posts is recognized as cool, as it will hopefully still motivate people to participate early as well.

The end goal here is practice at a real life situation. Will everybody keep every one of their tunes in their rep and really go deep with it? No. But you might find a few that you really like and want to stick with long after the week is over.

And grahambop, sounding great. Your playing always stands out for me as relaxed ,tasteful, and melodic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well done, Mr. G, tricky little thing, isn't it? Nice lines in there
    Thanks, I have messed around with this tune before so I had a rough idea how it goes. I had to learn the head properly though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Everything is clear - a great sounding guitar and a nice balanced backing. It is a real pleasure for the listener and shows a real sensitivity and attention to detail of the performer.
    Bravo grahambop!
    Great playing!
    Thanks kris! Actually I had a lot of trouble mixing this one, the piano (Kenny Barron as it happens!) is very busy and the guitar kept getting buried a bit. I had to do some EQ and a lot of checking on different speakers, headphones etc. before I was happy with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    And grahambop, sounding great. Your playing always stands out for me as relaxed ,tasteful, and melodic.
    Thanks Jeff. (My wife always accuses me of being too relaxed about everything...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker
    From where I sit much more solid. I thought you had some great lines in there with some nice chordal bits thrown in.
    Thanks. It "felt" more solid to me, but sometimes our own self-perceptions are not accurate!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Here's mine. (Backing track is Aebersold.)

That was just splendid! The tone was superb and your lines were wonderful. I want to play like you when I grow up!

The Aebersold track (I have it) drives me crazy because at the bridge, the piano actually doubles them melody, which is something lots of the Aebersold track pianists do. They crowd the soloist especially on the head by hitting too much of the melody. But you negotiated the overly busy pianist very skillfully.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Here's mine. (Backing track is Aebersold.)

Very fine and inspiring playing, grahambop!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    That was just splendid! The tone was superb and your lines were wonderful. I want to play like you when I grow up!

The Aebersold track (I have it) drives me crazy because at the bridge, the piano actually doubles them melody, which is something lots of the Aebersold track pianists do. They crowd the soloist especially on the head by hitting too much of the melody. But you negotiated the overly busy pianist very skillfully.
    Thanks Lawson! Oddly enough, I did not notice that piano melody while playing, I only heard it on the playback. I thought I’d screwed up my recording setup, thought I was getting a weird echo on the guitar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    But you might find a few that you really like and want to stick with long after the week is over.
    Recorda Me was already in my "repertoire" (a list of tunes that I'm constantly trying to get deeper into) and "Whisper Not" and "Nica's Dream" made it there as well. Still have to look into "Anthropology".
    This has been a great idea, Jeff - keep 'em coming and it's great to have so many participating!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

This was bugging me while I was playing along with Aebersold as well. I think the Aebersold tracks might be mixed with the piano hard-panned to one side. It might be possible to make the piano less in-your-face—if you’re handy in a DAW—by changing the stereo balance a bit to favor the non-piano side of the mix.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I’d rather post when I have something I feel is an advance on my last version tbh.

I’ve done enough jamming with backing tracks to last several lifetimes over the past year lol. So I want to do something that teaches me something. Either learn a new tune or get deeper into one I know.

Not much point otherwise...
    Perhaps there's value in allowing others to hear your work and explore how you developed your approach?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    This was bugging me while I was playing along with Aebersold as well. I think the Aebersold tracks might be mixed with the piano hard-panned to one side. It might be possible to make the piano less in-your-face—if you’re handy in a DAW—by subtlety changing the stereo balance a bit to favor the non-piano side of the mix.
    Yes that’s what I did. I used Audacity to split the stereo Aebersold L and R into 2 separate mono tracks. That puts the bass in one, and the piano in the other (the drums are present in both sides). Then I exported those individually to Reaper. Then in Reaper I could pan the bass and piano tracks more realistically (e.g. 20% left and right). Then I reduced the piano level a bit, also added a bit of reverb since the original piano sound seemed a bit harsh to me.

User Info Menu

Graham,

Not only nice lines, but you made that melody SING SING SING.

I have been really focusing on cutting off my notes at the right time--ending with that beBOP.

I have to also pay attention to how I hold my notes as well. All those details matter.

Thanks for showing us how it's done with making those notes sing, Graham

User Info Menu

Thanks, I think that’s one of the things I’ve become more aware of over the years. I might look at a chart initially, but I always try to learn the melody by ear as well, to try and capture all those little details.

I also noticed I use a bit of vibrato on some notes, I’m not really aware of doing that while I’m playing! But I think it helps the notes sing a bit more.

User Info Menu

Some nice stuff there grahambop, especially at around 1'45 where you decided to grab the steering wheel.

@Jeff, I would certainly post another take because I'm jamming most of this stuff for the first time and would post something more thought-out. The problem is time. Buenas noches

User Info Menu

This may be of interest

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Perhaps there's value in allowing others to hear your work and explore how you developed your approach?
    I will certainly try to do a recording this week.

User Info Menu

Urgh. Well, here is my half digested offering. It's not quite there yet, I want to carry on working on this until it is.

A few things; Eb/Db instead of Ebmaj7 in the bridge is pretty hip.

Also I missed a countermelody to the b5 of the C7b5, that's really nice.

A few stoppy bits I missed. I want to get the contrary motion on the bridge

Haven't even started on the extra sections. It's been a busy week (couldn't tell you with what exactly though lol.)

The struggle continues.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

punningly titled Green With Envy is based on the chord changes of Horace Silver’s Nica’s Dream

User Info Menu