The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 222

User Info Menu

Now it's spot your quote time...

Implied by the melody?
    Possibly, although we don't really know how it was composed. I do think that sound is redolent of the period, though. Tunes like Caravan, night club music echoing desert themes or belly dancers and all that. Exotic rather than sad, I think.

I'm guessing (based on the title) it was meant to evoke a dream Nica described. So dreamlike, if not [insert pair of synonyms for puzzling here]. I actually don't perceive the song as "sad" or any other clichéd link between tonality and mood. It seems almost narrative to me.
    I certainly didn't feel 'sad' when playing it, I just enjoyed the dream-like quality of it and I suspect that was actually the point. So I'd go with John on that.

Most colorful step of the classic minor Montuno pattern?
    I thought that was Christian doing his thing when I saw that but it wasn't :-) And I had to look it up. Definitely the right Latin rhythm they use. I just played the boring old Samba thing...

What I was going to say was that I couldn't see much point in having two m/maj7 chords like that and not using that (mel m) sound. I think that's what I enjoyed most about it.

Tell you one thing. You know that repeated pattern I used in the middle somewhere, then moved down, almost like rock guitar or something? Gosh, I haven't played one of those for years and years. But I could feel it needed it at that point so I just did it. Came quite naturally. Bit of a surprise :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A great discussion as if Nica's Dream were at least a symphony. In the case of jazz music, the name of the song is often quite accidental. This song could also be called Nica in Blue or simply Nica. The interpretation of the jazz musician is his subjective vision.
    It is similar with poetry - people interpret and understand it differently ...

User Info Menu

The whole tone scale on m(maj7) seems an apt choice as well

A WT on both minor maj7 chords

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    The whole tone scale on m(maj7) seems an apt choice as well

A WT on both minor maj7 chords
    Great ideas from Andreas Oberg from about 10 years ago:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Great ideas from Andreas Oberg from about 10 years ago:
    it’s the same relationship; though I learned it listening to Wes

I briefly use it on my recording. It’s fun!

User Info Menu

WT ideas from Django over 251:

User Info Menu

voxss: liked that a lot!

I don't perceive the tune as sounding sad either - the melody is quite uplifting to my ears.

User Info Menu

WT ideas from Django over 251:
    If you watched the vid does he reference the original recordings were Django uses these sounds?

There’s a LOT of Django.

I know that lick though haha. Didn’t get it form Django, just seemed like an obvious thing to do with the diminished lick sweeping thing that everyone does.

User Info Menu

I know that lick though haha
    I picked up a similar lick from T.Bone Walker's playing where he shifts an augmented chord in full tone steps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    voxss: liked that a lot!

I don't perceive the tune as sounding sad either - the melody is quite uplifting to my ears.
    The minor key suggests some kind of sadness but the whole piece is not sad, maybe it's a kind of melancholy ...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Most colorful step of the classic minor Montuno pattern?
    check out wes' comping

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxsss
    Great solo of Louis Stewart on guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    check out wes' comping

Popular play with chromatically falling bass - often used in Latin music over minor chords.

User Info Menu

Another great version by Louis Stewart (I saw him in London with this band once):

User Info Menu

Great player LS-Louis Stewart

User Info Menu

Nice version...great rhythm section.

User Info Menu

Great player LS-Louis Stewart
    Yes he is one of my favourites, I’ve managed to collect quite a few of his albums over the years (mostly unavailable now sadly), and taped some radio broadcasts (including the London gig from which Nica’s Dream was taken).

At one gig I saw him at, he plonked his guitar down on my table after the first set and said ‘Would yer mind lookin’ after this while I heads off to the bar?’ (in a strong Irish accent). He must have thought I looked trustworthy I guess!

User Info Menu

Oh, he did my lick at about 4.00 :-)

I can safely say I didn't do any of his...

User Info Menu

Every lick is good.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

LOUIS STEWART TRANSCRIPTIONS......https://louisstewart.wordpress.com/

User Info Menu

Yeah so the thing is I think melodic minor harmony was mostly popularised as a concept to distinguish m(maj)7 sounds from m7 sounds (well technically Tristano was teaching it in the late 40s but bear with me.)

Before then that’s just the general minor sound everyone used and the minor sound had influences from other scales too.

The main thing to change was the use of the seventh chords as basic units of jazz harmony which means you have to call it - minor or Major seventh?

m7 sounds as a base minor sound really came in with modal jazz. Before then it was just minor and everything seems to get mashed in together more or less.

in bop, swing and as has been mentioned cuban music, the 7th is ‘mobile’ - it can be major or minor, but the main resting note is the 6th.

you can hear Django and Charlie Christian shifting between melodic minor and dorian type sounds because their harmonic emphasis is on the m6 chord. You have classic bop lines like Bebop or Groovin High running 1-7-b7-6 which of course you also hear in standards like Blue Skies/In Walked Bud (not to mention baroque bass lines.)

But even in the modal era there was still a lot of chopping and changing. You hear players like Wes, Herbie and Miles interchanging melodic minor and dorian quite freely. So that mobile 7th remains a resource and an important sound in the music.

That’s why I don’t really like melodic minor as a concept as it’s really more complex. It’s more like ‘minor.’ I call it True Minor to separate it from Modal Minor (m7 etc.)

User Info Menu

Yeah so the thing is I think melodic minor harmony was mostly popularised as a concept to distinguish m(maj)7 sounds from m7 sounds (well technically Tristano was teaching it in the late 40s but bear with me.)

Before then that’s just the general minor sound everyone used and the minor sound had influences from other scales too.

The main thing to change was the use of the seventh chords as basic units of jazz harmony which means you have to call it - minor or Major seventh?

m7 sounds as a base minor sound really came in with modal jazz. Before then it was just minor and everything seems to get mashed in together more or less.

in bop, swing and as has been mentioned cuban music, the 7th is ‘mobile’ - it can be major or minor, but the main resting note is the 6th.

you can hear Django and Charlie Christian shifting between melodic minor and dorian type sounds because their harmonic emphasis is on the m6 chord. You have classic bop lines like Bebop or Groovin High running 1-7-b7-6 which of course you also hear in standards like Blue Skies/In Walked Bud (not to mention baroque bass lines.)

But even in the modal era there was still a lot of chopping and changing. You hear players like Wes, Herbie and Miles interchanging melodic minor and dorian quite freely. So that mobile 7th remains a resource and an important sound in the music.

That’s why I don’t really like melodic minor as a concept as it’s really more complex. It’s more like ‘minor.’ I call it True Minor to separate it from Modal Minor (m7 etc.)
    Agree. "Minor" is an entity in this kind of jazz. Its not really melodic minor harmony (that does happen of course later on)

To me this tune is just a good example of the 1950's fascination with "latin" culture. Lucy and Ricky and all that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Agree. "Minor" is an entity in this kind of jazz. Its not really melodic minor harmony (that does happen of course later on)

To me this tune is just a good example of the 1950's fascination with "latin" culture. Lucy and Ricky and all that.
    It seems to me that melodic minor was used before. It fits perfectly with the altered dominants - it was played and played to this day / a half tone higher than the base of the dominant /.