The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 222

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 7) - Nica's Dream-1613862851286-jpg

This week it's no surprise, its Nica's Dream!

First, a few musings on this whole process so far...

Have fun.

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 02-25-2021 at 11:11 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here was my first real try... still needs work.

User Info Menu

That said, I thought the solve was more eighth notes so I did this take:

Rough indeed. Anyone else notice how I was all over the place with the time in that take? I did. Playing mixed feels with just a bass player at a "fast" tempo (even with the great MR. SUNNYBASS) is more challenging than I thought. I wanted to show more of the development by posting an "in progress" take of Nica's Dream.

My next take will be longer phrases that sit better in the pocket! No rushing! No draggin!

And yes, a lot of dream tunes. My favorite "dream" tune is "You Stepped Out Of a Dream."

Love Nica's Dream too!

User Info Menu

Here it is... Recorded with a bass player and the Drum Genius app. Since I couldn't get the app to learn the form and switch from Latin to Swing, I used a Boogaloo groove. Plenty of picking goofs and badly fretted notes...But hey it's 'live' right?!?

User Info Menu

Jeff, great phrasing, feel and tone! Love that guitar. Heritage right?

Picking my ears, liking the "dive into it" attitude! And "You Stepped Out Of A Dream" has been my "go to" tune for the last few years (Especially if I get to call a tune at a Jam...Man that's been awhile).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    That said, I thought the solve was more eighth notes so I did this take:

Rough indeed. Anyone else notice how I was all over the place with the time in that take? I did. Playing mixed feels with just a bass player at a "fast" tempo (even with the great MR. SUNNYBASS) is more challenging than I thought. I wanted to show more of the development by posting an "in progress" take of Nica's Dream.

My next take will be longer phrases that sit better in the pocket! No rushing! No draggin!

And yes, a lot of dream tunes. My favorite "dream" tune is "You Stepped Out Of a Dream."

Love Nica's Dream too!
    I think this sounds good!

I actually find Mr. Sunnybass hard to play with sometimes, because he plays real bass lines, not just keeping time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Here it is... Recorded with a bass player and the Drum Genius app. Since I couldn't get the app to learn the form and switch from Latin to Swing, I used a Boogaloo groove. Plenty of picking goofs and badly fretted notes...But hey it's 'live' right?!?

This sounds great. Works good as a Boogaloo. Nice lines, phrasing...this is the type of playing I really enjoy. And great tone too.

Oh, and yes, a Heritage 575...bought it used almost 10 years ago...got it for a price folks ain't gonna see on a Heritage again, I don't think...probably the best guitar decision I ever made.

User Info Menu

I took a few cracks at this one, messing around a bit with different tones. But decided to stop here. I could have played something more interesting/adventurous, and given that I know the tune reasonably well there's no real excuse not to, but I thought the feel was decent and it's a pretty good representation of the way I play. And if there's one thing I've learned after so many years of home recording, it's the value of quitting before energy completely fades.

Now, on to listening to you guys.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I took a few cracks at this one, messing around a bit with different tones. But decided to stop here. I could have played something more interesting/adventurous, and given that I know the tune reasonably well there's no real excuse not to, but I thought the feel was decent and it's a pretty good representation of the way I play. And if there's one thing I've learned after so many years of home recording, it's the value of quitting before energy completely fades.

John
    I like this a lot, particularly you 8th note feel on the latin part...pushes ever so slightly...makes it exciting.

More great tone too...nice little bite to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff

I like the boogaloo feel. I also like the way you did the bridge, really emphasizing the modulation to Abmaj. Great feel an tone throughout.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

This week it's no surprise, its Nica's Dream!

First, a few musings on this whole process so far...

Have fun.

I enjoyed that a lot. It felt like you were laying back on the latin section a little, and then swinging pretty hard on the bridge, yet somehow kept it feeling like the same tune, not an abrupt shift between the two. Great tone and little harmonic twists and turns.

John

User Info Menu

Nice lines and ideas. Biggest thing I hear that could be improved is your timing. If feels like some of your phrases started a bit early or late. Your way better than me so take what I am saying for what it's worth.

User Info Menu

Mr. B I think we gotta change your handle to "Be Bop Bob Ross" after that musin' and musicin'

Lemme see what I can do with another take. This tune and me go back at least a year. Came to Washington. Starting going to sessions. Met people at a yogurt shop and they helped build up my confidence--though the you-git wasn't no Red Mango... still.

Decided to take a chance and try out one of the heavies in PNW jam land. The Owl n' Thistle I think... up northern Seattle.

Anyway. They called me up. Just me bass, and drums... I called Nica's Dream cause I was practicing it a bit.

Wow... not a good first call. This was before I got comfortable playing without a pianist behind me... Rough stuff.

So it's time to take back the tune a bit. I'll never own it, per say. But I want to know it enough to have fun with it. Swing a little. Sway a bit. And not get those nervous butterflies the next time it gets called at a session

Really enjoying what everyone else is doing with the tune. Not an easy tune by any means. That said, it's Horace Silver. Good to know some of his tunes. They wake up an audience of regulars, non musicians, people hanging out at the jam just to down some drinks and listen to music. And those people... they make for the best audience members at any jam session. They know how to have fun

User Info Menu

Yeah it's a busy jam track, but I LOVE that. Makes me really think about how to interact with "the band". I miss that interaction... Playing with the band, playing off the band, the communication. Makes it more fun and makes me less anxious about my own playing--gets me outta that "critical me" and all that.

Here's me playing with a "band" like in the first post (backing track)

Yes, Ragman--I am challenging you... to come up with better "song titles" for these improvisation clips than me. Can I be the Black Knight? Chicken, chicken, only a flesh wound:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Have fun.

Jeff, you have very fashionable pants and well winter is over.Nice playing.

User Info Menu

Great woman, just been reading about her. I let it run on a bit because it was nice being back off the fairy dust... oops :-)

User Info Menu

But much more important than my somewhat diatonic ramblings, try this for sheer skill... incredible.

User Info Menu

I'll probably come up with something wackier later.

As for you, Mr. Picking, I decline your challenge because you'll win hands down. No one's as crazy as you are.

User Info Menu

What's that? Creativity flagging? No idea what to do to make this tune compelling?

Take the cheapened cheerful route and turn it into a Gypsy Swing number!

Did this a while back. I actually think all the twiddles in the melody make it quite a good fit stylistically.

User Info Menu

good versions. also maybe check out the original chord Eb7 in bar 5 of the bridge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    good versions. also maybe check out the original chord Eb7 in bar 5 of the bridge.
    yes...
    Attachment 79631

User Info Menu

Thanks for your little "thoughts" video, Jeff - it's nice to finally hear the voice of a member - great versions of yours as a starter as well.
    Very fine contributions so far - very inspirational some are. Good to have had an early start on this week's tune since the form is unusually long and more complex than others. Have been working on getting familiar enough with it so I would feel more comfortable when it's time to record which may be on sunday.

User Info Menu

and the GG reference:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    But much more important than my somewhat diatonic ramblings, try this for sheer skill... incredible.

What a master...Ed Bickert... just SO GREAT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

John

Really Nice John, great lines and flow of ideas!

Ron