The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Posts 226 to 250 of 250

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    TBF it’s hard to accompany a solo that isn’t there, even the for best in the business. If I was cutting a backing track record I’d get them to accompany a pre recorded solo on cans and cut it out
    I think I read somewhere that this is how they made at least some of the Aebersold tracks, i.e. Jamie A. played the melody and a solo, which was then taken out. In fact I think I heard one once where you could hear a bit of his sax bleeding through.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Okay so now you have me wanting to learn the melody.
    I think if you do learn it, you'll like the tune even more. I think its very memorable.

And as Graham pointed out, melody is absolutely key in improvising on Shorter tunes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I think I read somewhere that this is how they made at least some of the Aebersold tracks, i.e. Jamie A. played the melody and a solo, which was then taken out. In fact I think I heard one once where you could hear a bit of his sax bleeding through.
    that makes sense, some Aebersolds are definitely better than others. I’d still take them over robo-jazz backing any day

User Info Menu

The backing is about the only decent one on youtube, it’s from a channel called ‘M2’, I think someone said they make the Hal Crook tracks too. I don’t mind the loud piano, probably made me play with more oomph!

All this made me go and listen to more Wayne stuff and I noticed how much he returns to pieces of the melody in a lot of his solos, a good approach to take.

(edit: I see Lawson said it was a Hal Leonard track.)
    Right, thanks! Wayne chord progressions are like cryptic puzzles with the clues given by the melody.

But Wayne so frequently paraphrases the melody in his solo it’s an object lesson... guitarists tend to go from the chords of course because that’s what we learn first!

User Info Menu

that makes sense, some Aebersolds are definitely better than others. I’d still take them over robo-jazz backing any day
    haha
    I love robo-jazz backing from BB/real tracks/ though I have almost all Aebersolds playalongs.
    BB is a fantastic tool-you can organize jazz backgrounds in a very creative way.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lawson. Actually I didn’t really like this tune much at first, I wasn’t going to play it, but all the discussion made me tackle the challenge, and I grew to like it more. But I did feel I had to play the melody because it creates a mood and helped me get into the solo.

By the way I thought your solo was very good, nothing wrong with it at all!
    You just made my day! Thank you. And you have given me the melody, which I want to learn now.

User Info Menu

That's true. I have met him, since he lives just 60 miles from my home. He performed once here in Lexington, Ky. and I went to hear him and spoke to him a bit about the backing tracks, which at that time were a life-saver (pre-Band-in-a-box!) and my only recourse for realistic practice. He told me that the key is to have a soloist playing the tune and improvising, and that typically he did that for the recordings, though sometimes they might have someone else do it.

My only complaint with the Aebersold tracks is that sometimes the piano really plays very close to the melody, and if you are trying to play the tune, you bump in the piano a lot... which maybe is realistic after all...

User Info Menu

I am happy that LS start to love music of W.Shorter.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

About Aebersolds playalongs-sometimes I cut piano and play with bass and drums.
    It is very easy because of stereo separation.
    why?
    If you practise chord melody style the piano clashes with the guitar chords.

User Info Menu

Some of the Aebersolds speed up quite a bit as they go, but maybe that’s good practice for real-world situations!

User Info Menu

Some of the Aebersolds speed up quite a bit as they go, but maybe that’s good practice for real-world situations!
    It's true, but maybe it's some kind of motivation to work on yourself.
    Nice take over ND.
    Best
    kris

User Info Menu

ROFL

yes they do. You know what they say though; better to speed up than slow down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    most important GS in 4/4 and ND is in 3/4.
    Except when they are both in 5 of course #jazznerdsinternational

User Info Menu

wayne's night dreamer speeds up considerably.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    wayne's night dreamer speeds up considerably.
    Can’t play the right chord scales and the rhythm section speeds up? Bloody rubbish! Who are these amateurs?
    Last edited by christianm77; 02-25-2021 at 05:52 PM.

User Info Menu

ROFL

yes they do. You know what they say though; better to speed up than slow down.
    Check out Milestones, the tempo is noticeably slower by the end.

User Info Menu

It’s almost like people aren’t machines or something

User Info Menu

It’s almost like people aren’t machines or something
    It's true, humans are not machines, but humans operate machines, and they're slowly becoming robots. Look at computers.

User Info Menu

erroll garner build a whole career slowing down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    erroll garner build a whole career slowing down.
    Are you talking about tempo or feel?

User Info Menu

Are you talking about tempo or feel?
    tempo.

User Info Menu

It's true, humans are not machines, but humans operate machines, and they're slowly becoming robots. Look at computers.
    yes. But I actually think the DAW generation is slowly waking up to the fact that human time is a valuable thing of itself, so these things go in cycles.

User Info Menu

As we're waiting for other tunes, I thought, now the pressure's off, I'd revisit this one. Not hard this time. In fact, quite nice :-)

User Info Menu

Very nice, ragman!

User Info Menu

Blues sounds. Bound to be popular :-)