The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 173

User Info Menu

Jeez, and it's only Monday...!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My experience in general and not just in the current context is that most people do not welcome unsolicited criticism or advice from people they don't know. Now throw in this being a public place, and it's not only unwelcome (for whatever mix of good and bad reasons), it's publicly embarrassing. Now throw in that either the giver or receiver or both might be using a language they have not fully mastered in a written medium that eliminates affect and tone, and there's a good chance both the substance and intent of the criticism will be misunderstood. Given all that, I think it's best to tread lightly.

John

User Info Menu

Criticism stings a little, but I would get loads of it from teachers in the past.

Not practicing... you're gonna hear about it.

Think you are gonna miss the solfege lessons because singing is "lame"... when a respected rhythm guitarist who plays for Marsalis chews you out... you make sure to make good on your practice for the next lesson. That said, he's still a nice guy and a great teacher.

Getting dirty looks from folks who know what they are doing at a jam session... go back to the shed and shed some more.

I listened back to my own submissions on this thread. They were too long. Started off fresh and went stale bread.

So I'll post shorter solos next time.

Kris, just stay and play some more. Things get mixed up online. I certainly said some crappy things on JGF in the past. Bygones. Apologize and keep on keeping on. If things were in person, we'd all crowd around a small rickety table, drink brews, and share war stories. Jazz is social music, cliched but true.

Let's all clink our frosty glasses to another tune. Here, here?

User Info Menu

Na Zdrowie!

Still figuring out this week's tune. We've done a few medium, an up, a bossa.. need a ballad or a waltz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I rarely ever get honest feedback on anything I post. You'd swear I was a world class player.

I figure either I really suck and people are just being nice

I'm somehow intimidating and people don't want to pass me off.

Or three,im generally nice to people so people are nice back. Maybe I should be more of a dick, for my playing sake.
    Since I'm still a beginner regarding jazz who am I to critizise or give any tips? So I keep my comments on the positive side. It's probably the same with others around here...

User Info Menu

This time I will take the advice of my beloved wife:
    "Drop it all, get the dog and go for a walk."

User Info Menu

I rarely ever get honest feedback on anything I post. You'd swear I was a world class player.

Or three,im generally nice to people so people are nice back. Maybe I should be more of a dick, for my playing sake.
    To be honest Jeff I do sometimes listen to your playing and think ‘why should I even bother posting anything?’

Consistently excellent and getting better.

i daresay that’s what everyone on the forum thinks.

I honestly don’t have anything to say other than keep doing what you are doing.

To get to the next level of your playing, whatever that is, is I think going to come from YOU, not anyone else. Stylistic and creative choices rather than ‘this thing isn’t quite right.’

I understand myself as time goes on praise and compliments are nice but... kind of don’t really mean anything? I think most experienced players feel this way. Unless you get something very specific, which is always lovely.

But; to return more to the spirit of your post, no I would not trust the internet for feedback. It is what it is. Also, it’s a very fake atmosphere for playing. Instagram for example... I appreciate your stuff feels like real playing.
    Last edited by christianm77; 02-16-2021 at 04:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Of course you play with the round end and that’s a dick move.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Of course you play with the round end and that’s a dick move.

User Info Menu

Na Zdrowie!

Still figuring out this week's tune. We've done a few medium, an up, a bossa.. need a ballad or a waltz.
    A blues?

User Info Menu

Na Zdrowie!

Footprints?

User Info Menu

Na Zdrowie!

Kill two birds with one stone - A Child is Born

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Criticism stings a little, but I would get loads of it from teachers in the past.

Not practicing... you're gonna hear about it.

Think you are gonna miss the solfege lessons because singing is "lame"... when a respected rhythm guitarist who plays for Marsalis chews you out... you make sure to make good on your practice for the next lesson. That said, he's still a nice guy and a great teacher.

Getting dirty looks from folks who know what they are doing at a jam session... go back to the shed and shed some more.

I listened back to my own submissions on this thread. They were too long. Started off fresh and went stale bread.

So I'll post shorter solos next time.

Kris, just stay and play some more. Things get mixed up online. I certainly said some crappy things on JGF in the past. Bygones. Apologize and keep on keeping on. If things were in person, we'd all crowd around a small rickety table, drink brews, and share war stories. Jazz is social music, cliched but true.

Let's all clink our frosty glasses to another tune. Here, here?
    Good word here.

User Info Menu

Jeff what you play so closely resembles what I want to do, Not the actual style, but just the ability to connect with a tune, have fun, play some decent stuff that brings a smile, a question, even a chuckle. When the central thing is appealing, any mistakes tend to be overshadowed.

User Info Menu

Well now I'm blushing a bit!

Thanks y'all. This has been super fun.

I think I got this weeks tune picked out. Its a challenge. Gotta see if I can play it!

User Info Menu

Well now I'm blushing a bit!

Thanks y'all. This has been super fun.

I think I got this weeks tune picked out. Its a challenge. Gotta see if I can play it!
    Ruh-roh Rorge ...

John

User Info Menu

Like I said (I think I said it) earlier,

Mr. B's thread is the reason why I came back to JGF.

That's three rocking emojis, any more and we'd have a movie on our hands...

Let's not do that

User Info Menu

This week, a bossa, from Joe Henderson's "Page One."

Attachment 79136

8 bars of modal flavor followed by some descending ii V I's with a little twist. Fun stuff.

I did mine with Jim Hall in mind.

Enjoy!
    That’s all I need to hear to be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Ok, I went looking for a backing track and found something fun! Inspired me to get out my little Ibanez guitar that's been modified to become a Cuban Très. Always gets me in a good mood to try to play latin music...Much needed in these special times we are going through.

Lovely. Same tone and rhythmic feel as Compay Segundo. Time to smoke a cigar and sing second voice an octave under.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I found a backing track by live musicians that I was really enjoying playing to (though it somewhat kicked my butt), so I played it all the way through. Too long, and with moments of Recorda-merde, but WTF, YOLO, fortune rewards the bold, yada yada.

John
    Sublime playing, very virtuoso. I cannot always follow the rhythm in your playing and I personally would like a few more rests in between but that’s all very personal taste. Your double stops were one of many highlights.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Loved it. Now I’m thinking of that theme of Betty Blue 37 degree Le matin, so cruisey

User Info Menu

Thank you, Mr. Eck

I have to say I don't think it's got much to do with Henderson's jazz/bebop tune but it sounds nice :-)

Liked your Betty Blue thing too. I haven't seen the film so I'm wondering what the (moving) images were for it.

User Info Menu

Ah, I like this Betty Blue music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I missed this one when you posted it Rags. I like it a lot. Great feel, and lots of interesting melodic ideas.

John

User Info Menu

Ah, I like this Betty Blue music.
    What is the furthest thing from "light hearted romp" the most twisted person you've ever encountered could possibly imagine? That is this movie.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 02-17-2021 at 03:10 PM.