The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 173

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall535
    I'm really enjoying all the different stylistic guitar mojo.

Here's my 2 cents:

Great stuff. I really like the motivic development and the way you build energy. Great sound and production, comping, the whole package.

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall535
    I'm really enjoying all the different stylistic guitar mojo.

Here's my 2 cents:

This is really inspiring. The tone is intriguing-a little Pat Metheny playing clean maybe? Played so cleanly, ideas developing, really nice.

User Info Menu

Getting some weird thing where it says this thread has a third page but I can't get to it, so posting to check.

User Info Menu

I make last post on page 2 Peter C #100. So we're on page 3 now. Yours is #104, this one's #105.

(Try clearing your browser cache, that sometimes does it)

User Info Menu

I did try that, no go.

On tapatalk now. Good lord, is this a horrible, clunky, sack of shit app.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Mr. B,

Now tell us how you really feel

I still have a flip phone. Don't call me a hipster... call me a flipster

Technology frustrates me more than I can count. Odd isn't it, that I use an internet forum yet hate how tech has this grip on everyone's lives?

Pot calling the kettle metal

User Info Menu

Dear guitar players,
    I really like this place where you can show your possibilities and the current state of the guitar form.
    I practise 7-8 hours a day. Perhaps the difficult time Covid has made me comment on other performers too emotionally at times.
    Consequently, I am misunderstood.
    I deleted all entries and no longer wanted to participate in the virtual jam.
    I had no intention of offending or demeaning anyone.
    If someone took it that way, I'm sorry
    Good luck with your music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I did try that, no go.

On tapatalk now. Good lord, is this a horrible, clunky, sack of shit app.

Don't know then. Weird that it's not working on one computer/device but it's okay on others. Which means it's not, presumably, something for Dirk unless, being a techie, he can diagnose the problem remote. Or somebody else can.

User Info Menu

Kris, I do wish you'd stay. It was nice to have you here, always enjoy your playing and insight.

User Info Menu

Kris, I do wish you'd stay. It was nice to have you here, always enjoy your playing and insight.

Jeff you are very nice person/and great player/.I like you very much.
    You know the situation repeats the second time, maybe in a year or two I will try again. Up to three times art. :-)
    I don't like being seen as a person that I am not.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Hey Kris... Don't let the BS be your reason for not posting or whatever you do. We are what we are....

I haven't read your posts, but who cares if not everyone understands or agrees with you. I would guess most know your a great musician as well as a good person. Check back in, I haven't played or touched an instrument for at least 6 months, I really don't practice anyway, just no gigs etc... I'll post something later... I'll try and make interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I don't like being seen as a person that I am not.
    Best
    Kris
    I can understand and respect that.

User Info Menu

Completely agree about cutting out the BS, except maybe for comments like "interesting contribution, but I'd like to hear that with a little less moogerfooger" etc Looking forward to hearing Reg.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Kris... Don't let the BS be your reason for not posting or whatever you do. We are what we are....

I haven't read your posts, but who cares if not everyone understands or agrees with you. I would guess most know your a great musician as well as a good person. Check back in, I haven't played or touched an instrument for at least 6 months, I really don't practice anyway, just no gigs etc... I'll post something later... I'll try and make interesting.
    Hi Reg,
    Thanks and Good Luck
    ps.
    I only know one thing that the guitar is an extremely difficult instrument...:-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Completely agree about cutting out the BS, except maybe for comments like "interesting contribution, but I'd like to hear that with a little less moogerfooger" etc Looking forward to hearing Reg.
    Please do not make a scandal with my decision. I suggest you listen to F. Zappa.

User Info Menu

Kris, you got me to scat a little--that was fun.

Bygones be bygones? C19 has got me on edge as well.

Thread works best when we pay more and talk less--I think, at least.

So lets all keep on keeping on with the playing

User Info Menu

It might be worth reviewing the text of the very first post for the first tune, Whisper Not.

"The goal here is to improvise. Take a chorus or 3. Play with a track, or not. Don't overthink it. Everybody's cool here, and if they're not, we kick their ass out.
    If you want comments and criticism on your playing, say so in your post. If someone doesn't ask for critique, don't critique their playing.

Keep it fresh. Don't spend all week working out a perfect chord melody. No need to play the melody at all. Let's just say its a given that knowing the melody is important.

Let's talk shop on the tune as we go. Talk about approaches, whatever. Ask players questions.

I'll start us off this week, ill try and post a new tune every Thursday night (yeah, I put Friday's date, it is Friday already in Belgium)

Have fun with this and keep it loose. All levels welcome. Make fun of a beginner and I'll harass you on every post you make here for the rest of your sad, pathetic life.

Here's one bluesy chorus on whisper not. Comments and criticism always welcome."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

"Here's one bluesy chorus on whisper not. Comments and criticism always welcome."
    Okay, it was RUBBISH!

User Info Menu

Actually, I've got a sure-fire cure for the lockdown blues. You sit down and play it like THIS. Repeat 3 times daily. If that doesn't work.. take up the banjo.

User Info Menu

I think a lot of musicians feel this way: "I think I suck. I'd just as soon not hear it from anybody else."

But, I'm going to attempt a more serious comment.

Everybody that has posted a recording has clearly spent a lot of time, effort and soul invested in the guitar.

Artists tend to be sensitive about their art, because it is so close to the artist's heart.

All of us are musicians at different levels. All of us have the goal of expressing something thru music -- and what that is, is personal.

Even when feedback is actively solicited, it's not an easy thing to provide in a helpful way. How do I know what the player was really trying to do? How he or she wants to sound? What might possibly further the player's development?

And, then, there's the issue of providing specific comments. When I think about doing so, the following sorts of comments cross my mind -- things that might have been said in the past ...

"Hey Wes, how about you learn to use a F**** pick already?"

"Charlie Downstroke Christian, you're aware that the pick also moves up, right?"

"Jim Hall -- let's hear some Cherokee at 300 and no more of that sensitive crap".

"Joe Pass, why don't you spend a buck and travel with a bass player?"

"(insert outside player name here) are you intending to sound like crap, or are those just ordinary clams?"

As a result of such thoughts, and the vagaries of taste (there are a few highly regarded albums that I don't like much, suggesting a peculiar palette, perhaps), I tend to comment on what I like about a recording.

EDIT: It also occurs to me that a lot of the most helpful feedback I ever got was extremely painful at the time. Hopefully, that's not true of everybody.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 02-16-2021 at 03:16 AM.

User Info Menu

To me, it's simple. All my stuff is crap and anybody who says otherwise is an IDIOT!

I want Trump back too. God, I love that man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Dear guitar players,
    I really like this place where you can show your possibilities and the current state of the guitar form.
    I practise 7-8 hours a day. Perhaps the difficult time Covid has made me comment on other performers too emotionally at times.
    Consequently, I am misunderstood.
    I deleted all entries and no longer wanted to participate in the virtual jam.
    I had no intention of offending or demeaning anyone.
    If someone took it that way, I'm sorry
    Good luck with your music
    When it comes to criticism i am slowly learning to give it only when paid to do so. Or at least asked.

User Info Menu

Although when someone solicits feedback, I find it hard to resist trying to help.

Anyway, nothing more beautiful to my ears than the sound of a player evolving and developing; at any level.

For those that seek out feedback, I have to say, well done.

User Info Menu

I rarely ever get honest feedback on anything I post. You'd swear I was a world class player.

I figure either I really suck and people are just being nice

I'm somehow intimidating and people don't want to pass me off.

Or three,im generally nice to people so people are nice back. Maybe I should be more of a dick, for my playing sake.

User Info Menu

Maybe I should be more of a dick, for my playing sake.
    Try posting some country? Just kidding.

You play fluidly from right within the groove with consistently great tone. I'm gonna put the occasional bum notes down to not knowing if one of your kids is going to knock yer amp over! Plus, you have the ability to bring people together for a common project.

What's not to like?