The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 173

User Info Menu

This week, a bossa, from Joe Henderson's "Page One."

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 5) - Recordame-1612552773788-jpg

8 bars of modal flavor followed by some descending ii V I's with a little twist. Fun stuff.

I did mine with Jim Hall in mind.

Enjoy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So is it "Page One" or "Recordame"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So is it "Page One" or "Recordame"?
    Recordame, from the album Page One. Whole album is great though!

User Info Menu

Really nice playing, Jeff!

User Info Menu

Ok, I went looking for a backing track and found something fun! Inspired me to get out my little Ibanez guitar that's been modified to become a Cuban Très. Always gets me in a good mood to try to play latin music...Much needed in these special times we are going through.

User Info Menu

Very nice Jeff! Love the Jim Hall approach!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Ok, I went looking for a backing track and found something fun! Inspired me to get out my little Ibanez guitar that's been modified to become a Cuban Très. Always gets me in a good mood to try to play latin music...Much needed in these special times we are going through.

This was AWESOME.

I love the tres. I assume you cut new nut slots? What did you do about bridge spacing? It sounds great. Great playing too...those tres montunos were happening!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    This was AWESOME.

I love the tres. I assume you cut new nut slots? What did you do about bridge spacing? It sounds great. Great playing too...those tres montunos were happening!
    I bought the instrument from a friend who had the work done by a Luthier, so unfortunately I don't know about the details. Basically the guy added new slots for the correct string spacing. Got it last summer, and started hanging out with some guys that play salsa in the park. The parks were pretty much the only place to play music here(Montreal) last summer...

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 5) - Recordame-img-0819-jpg

User Info Menu

This week, a bossa, from Joe Henderson's "Page One."

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 5) - Recordame-1612552773788-jpg

8 bars of modal flavor followed by some descending ii V I's with a little twist. Fun stuff.

I did mine with Jim Hall in mind.

Enjoy!
    Yeah, I can definitely hear some Jim Hall in there (channeling some Bossa Antigua, perhaps?). Setting the bar high, as always.

John

User Info Menu

I found a backing track by live musicians that I was really enjoying playing to (though it somewhat kicked my butt), so I played it all the way through. Too long, and with moments of Recorda-merde, but WTF, YOLO, fortune rewards the bold, yada yada.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff

Love the sound and the vibe of it. Great stuff.

John

User Info Menu

I don't know what to do with this. It's too easy and you don't have to learn that fiddly tune. The question is how long does it go on for and how long before we start putting strange ideas into it? Sorry, just being honest.

And I guess once it's done, it's done, if you see what I mean.

I shouldn't be writing this.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I found a backing track by live musicians that I was really enjoying playing to (though it somewhat kicked my butt), so I played it all the way through. Too long, and with moments of Recorda-merde, but WTF, YOLO, fortune rewards the bold, yada yada.

John
    Yeah! Some great lines there, the fast stuff really works for me.

The time is fluttery, as kris said, and to my ears it sounds like a recording, not a playing issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'm gonna let you pick a tune one week man, you don't like anything!

In the spirit of jam sessions, ill be calling jam session type tunes. No 64 bar ABABCD forms or anything like that.

The acoustic with all the reverb sounds nice on this, creates a space. I think if you explore further you might end up liking this one...its like a miniature of a lot of 60's "modal tunes," most of which were structured more like this than say, "impressions."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I know it's spontaneous playing but I would pay attention to time and listen to the background more.Maybe it is technical problem of recording/latency/.
    You play cool and interesting melodies.
    Best
    Kris
    No, no it's a playing too many choruses too late at night problem. The last couple are the worst (hence my "recorda-merde" quip). That, plus the pulse in the backing track actually wanders around (I tried synching it to a metronome, but the time varies too much to do that) and the players are not always together with each other. There are a few spots there where I was stumbling between the bass and piano trying to figure out whom to follow. I should have picked a simpler and steadier backing track, but I like the energy of this one despite it being hard to follow. Sometimes that's how it goes in the real world, too.

John

User Info Menu

Rag,

You already have a really nice and old school melodic concept that isn't so enmeshed in "trying to sound like bebop" like mine is most of the time.

Here's how I make these deceptively "easy" tunes worth my while.

Pick a very short melodic figure and develop it into a theme. Don't be obvious with how you refer to the theme, but always have the theme in mind. Play a phrase, pay attention to the contour--where is your highest note and your lowest note? Come back to that note in the next phrase. Practice the concept before, but let it occur naturally and spur of the moment when you improvise. After you try coming back to one note, find two. See how long you can hold on to a phrase in your head while NOT playing it. Then, right before you forget it--play it

Next up. A lot of people talk about the endless scale exercise, where you change the scale for each chord while maintaining it's contour and direction. I mentioned this a WHILE ago, but it's still public information that one of my teachers posted. Snake and the rocks:

He talks about more really funny yet illuminating music metaphors in his book The Lobster Theory. Worth a look

LOBSTER THEORY – Greg Fishman Jazz Studios

Not my advice, got the above from great teachers in the past. Helps make a solo compositional while still being improvisatory.

There's a ton of rhythmic and "feel" (behind, on top, and right on the beat) type stuff you can practice a well. I think it's pretty straight forward to write or "pre-compose" phrases that start on different parts of the measure. The downbeat, the "and" of 4, etc. Doing that on the fly while you are in the midst of a solo can be more challenging. Actually, I switched from tapping my foot and 2 and 4 to now tapping on 1 and 3 for that reason. When I tapped on 2 and 4 I got so focused on those beats that I forgot how to feel 1 and 3--I couldn't feel the downbeat clearly in my body.

Tapping on 2 and 4 vs. 1 and 3 is another controversy and story for another thread (that I'm NOT going to start). Both have their purpose, and it goes WELL beyond Latin vs. Swing feel.

Anyways, that's all the news that's fit to print. Can't wait till tonight when I can play and record some
    Last edited by PickingMyEars; 02-12-2021 at 12:09 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm gonna let you pick a tune one week man, you don't like anything!
    Hey, I didn't say I didn't like it! Where did I say that? I do like it!

The tricky part is getting the head together if you don't know it but that's okay because we don't have to use it here. But there's nothing wrong with the form or the chords, etc. Just trying not to make it sound like flamenco!

In fact this one's great - Bossa, not too fast (for me). I really enjoyed doing it. Couldn't stop, hence the 4 mins.

I haven't run out of ideas yet either. I like it I like it I like it I like it I like it I like it I like it!

User Info Menu

Recordame, from the album Page One. Whole album is great though!
    Great tune and one of my favourite albums. If it wasn't for Recorda Me and Blue Bossa anyway, the ballad La Mesha alone would be worth the price of admission.
    Tried to record a take this afternoon but always get digital distortion on the audio track. Will give it another try tomorrow if you don't mind...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Hey, I didn't say I didn't like it! Where did I say that? I do like it!

The tricky part is getting the head together if you don't know it but that's okay because we don't have to use it here. But there's nothing wrong with the form or the chords, etc. Just trying not to make it sound like flamenco!

In fact this one's great - Bossa, not too fast (for me). I really enjoyed doing it. Couldn't stop, hence the 4 mins.

I haven't run out of ideas yet either. I like it I like it I like it I like it I like it I like it I like it!
    My bad, you called the tune "fiddly." That didn't sound like a compliment.

User Info Menu

It's fiddly if you've never played it before (like me)! Well, I thought it was. It's the leaps. Point is, it takes a long time to master the tune and very little to get a solo going. And I'm lazy and impatient :-)

I don't know if anyone's interested but one idea (not on the first go) is to make all the doms into backdoors, then use their ii's. If you consider the M7s as minor sounds then you get the descending line:

(Ebm) -

Dm - Dbm - Cm - Bm
    Bbm - % - Am - E7#9

Then move the ii's up a m3rd and get this:

Dm - Em - Cm - Dm
    Bbm - Dbm - Am - E7#9

User Info Menu

I think that idea has a lot of potential.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Jeff, I especially liked your chord work, great rhythm.

Ronstuff, that was very refreshing with a great rhythmic feel.

John A., I don't think it kicked your butt at all and I appreciate your adventurousness.

I didn't have time to figure out anything interesting, but I like to participate whenever I can.

Oh Jeff, just read your comment. Thanks man, that perfectly sums up my attitude when I used to turn up at jams without knowing WTF I was going to play

User Info Menu

I'm really enjoying all the different stylistic guitar mojo.

Here's my 2 cents:

Last edited by Marshall535; 02-17-2021 at 03:06 PM. Reason: updated URL