The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 173 of 173

User Info Menu

I've since looked it up. Lots of fun :-)

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 5) - Recordame-images-jpg
    Last edited by ragman1; 02-17-2021 at 04:11 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Better late than ever, and this time with a backing track! Sorry for the sun glares, it's the time of day.. On second thoughts, maybe i should have done it with a nylon string, it would match the backing track well..

User Info Menu

Lovely, Alter, that's how to do it! Perfect, beautifully played

User Info Menu

Superb Alter! And the sunglares add a nice mood to your video clip!

User Info Menu

Nice phrasing and choppy octave work Alter!

User Info Menu

I just wanna say... ***First*** to give the thumbs up and like to Alter.

It's not a competition, but it kinda is

Alter, there's something odd going on in your video. The light from the window is etheral, your hoodie looks like a robe in this black and white, the beard...

You look like a monk playing jazz guitar. Imagine that as an album cover, dressing monk like for a Monk album

Yeah, COVID has done a number on my funny bone.

All that aside, your playing was quite monk like as well. Extremely focused, straight ahead, and swangin. Okay, maybe monks aren't necessarily swinging all the time. Now... I am losing the joke.

This and the last submission were quite sublime, Alter, me friend

Hopefully my humor came through in jest and didn't sully the music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Better late than ever, and this time with a backing track! Sorry for the sun glares, it's the time of day.. On second thoughts, maybe i should have done it with a nylon string, it would match the backing track well..

I like everything about this.

User Info Menu

This sounds like I wish I could sound. Melodic, soulful and funky.

User Info Menu

New tune tomorrow!

User Info Menu

You look like a monk playing jazz guitar. Imagine that as an album cover, dressing monk like for a Monk album
    Haha, thanks! Big Monk fan.. and speaking the truth, I kinda live like a monk this last year. No work (apart from skype lessons..), no music, away from home and living in the country (and on an island for a while).

We've had lockdowns for months here, so pretty much all day it's guitar, some reading, internet.. Some snow the last few days..

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 5) - Recordame-img_20210214_105940-jpg
    Last edited by Alter; 02-18-2021 at 06:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Wow! Thank you Alter!

User Info Menu

Just lovely, Alter. Nothing else to say. I played it several times. Really nice.

User Info Menu

I have a question about this and other tunes that have a shorter form, like 12 or 16 bars. I have noticed on several recordings people tend to play the "head" on these shorter forms twice, and the solos tend to move in pairs. Is it normal to treat a 12 or 16 bar tune in "double choruses?"

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say it's a rule, but it's definitely a commonality.

Kinda depends on pacing too. A short form ballad might only be once through the head (though I can think of more examples that go twice--Horace Silver's Peace, Blue in Green (original version, but not Evan's later piano trio version), medium and up tunes might be more likely to be played twice.

Monk, of course, wrote a 16 bar tune called "Played Twice." And it was.

User Info Menu

Well i've always played the head in twice on that tune, it felt really weird for me to just play it once on the video... but trying to keep things short.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I don't want to gloss over the importance of KNOWING the head...it's VERY important.

But for the sake of this group, it doesn't have to be played. But certainly play it if you want.

User Info Menu

There's no question some heads just demand to be played twice. Feels wrong if they're not. Mind you, with some tunes, like this one, the repeat is already written into the music.

User Info Menu

I think it might have to do with how much clock time is devoted to the head. A 32 bar tune at 90, maybe once. A 32 bar tune at 180, maybe twice. Not a rule, and I just made it up, but it might explain why sometimes it seems right to play it twice, sometimes not.

User Info Menu

Just done this last go as a slowish bossa, something like Corcovado or Quiet nights. I was thinking if I put a nice contrafact head on it (probably repeated twice!) it would be quite pleasant.

Anyway, new tune coming up soon...

User Info Menu

I'm going to write a thing where you repeat the head 5 times and do 1 solo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Thank you, Mr. Eck

I have to say I don't think it's got much to do with Henderson's jazz/bebop tune but it sounds nice :-)

Liked your Betty Blue thing too. I haven't seen the film so I'm wondering what the (moving) images were for it.

It’s great to steer away from the original while keeping the harmonic structure. Now the Betty Blue song I was thinking of is

Edit: and your second take is superb
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eck; 02-18-2021 at 09:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Na Zdrowie!

Still figuring out this week's tune. We've done a few medium, an up, a bossa.. need a ballad or a waltz.
    Toots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Two different versions .. it does have a sax solo too and trading (I forget if it was trading 8s or choruses) on both I think so I hope that's not cheating but it's my soloing on both. I tried to play around with lots of fourths and switching between Dorian and melodic minor on the first two chords before the ii V parts