The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 173

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Thanks Lawson. The guitar is a Seventy-Seven Hawk Jazz. It's a variation on the 165/175 theme, with some differences in wood, a slightly thinner body, and a 24.55" scale length. I got it in December and am very happy with it.

Oh, and about your breath ...

John
    I love that wood binding!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just a quickie to say that Lawson's chord work here was absolutely top notch (made me smile) and that it's gratifying to read that my attitude (rather than actual sloppy playing) may have been a source of inspiration.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    What are you talking about?
    Rag sometimes sometimes he says such strange things that I have to react.
    For example:Some time ago he accused me of playing with the wrong time.
    It is ok?
    if that's ok then i have to say goodbye.
    Have a nice jams...:-)
    ps.
    Probably this is not place for me.I have absolute musical hearing...;-)
    Kris
    Nobody wants you or anyone else to leave. But nobody will stop someone who wants to go. Threatening to leave is an immature response to a concern someone expresses. You have a tendency to be harsh with ragman. We all say stuff that is off base or just "out there" sometimes. We usually just let it go. But I've seen a pattern where you never let him alone, and I wanted to state it. Ragman has been very kind and helpful to me on many projects here and I hate to see someone bullied or picked on.

Someone who isn't sure about your time has a right to ask, don't they? And you can reply in a mature, professional, and civilized manner to show them their mistake. Or maybe you do play with the wrong time sometimes, i don't know. We all make mistakes. It doesn't mean you make an enemy out of them.

I don't want you to leave. But I'm just asking you to think about whether you are singling out someone perhaps excessively. If you don't think so, that's okay, I'm not offended or angry (not that it would matter). We all give offense from time to time, we usually express our regrets and move on. It's just people-skills.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Just a quickie to say that Lawson's chord work here was absolutely top notch (made me smile) and that it's gratifying to read that my attitude (rather than actual sloppy playing) may have been a source of inspiration.
    Thank you. I do chords okay and I tend to fall back on them when my line playing begins to suck... and yes, your "go for it" grab-it-by-the-throat attitude really fired me up!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I love that wood binding!
    It's actually some kind of plastic, with layers of tortoiseshell on the side and herringbone on the top. I've never seen anything else quite like it.

John

User Info Menu

I had a little time this afternoon and decided to try it a bit differently (inspired by others' stratiness). No video this time around, but trust me, no edits. Short and ... something.

John

User Info Menu

John: those bends and double stops put a smile on my face - good one!

User Info Menu

Fun to hear everyone's take at the tune!

Peter C, love the energy and the motion!

Hohoho, cool Strat and I like to way you navigate through the changes.

Tommo, great sound and great lines.

Kris, I like the funk Scofield type playing!

John A, I dig the Strat and bending!

Ragman, cool approach with the acoustic. Very cool vibe.

Lawson-Stone, great tone and relaxed feel! Very effective...

Picking my ears, you're great at developping your ideas!

This is a great concept!

Ron

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I think that the participants of the jam learned something from me and I was helpful.Apparently, having good hearing isn't always useful...
    Have fun!
    Of course we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I like this. It feels like you just a little bit angry at the tune, in a positive sort of way... don't know if that makes sense. You attack it, but you both sort of win the encounter.
    LOL, I'm basically just a blues guy with "a few twists" when it comes to soloing, never half-hearted, though probably sometimes OTT, definitely out of practice. Anyway, as an archaeologist, do you agree this may have been Egypt's finest contribution to humanity?
    World's oldest known beer factory may have been unearthed in Egypt | Science | The Guardian

John A, good to hear you having fun on your Strat.

Thanks Ronstuff, glad you enjoyed.

(Last part of message edited cuz I'm not interested in interacting on it)
    Last edited by Peter C; 02-15-2021 at 04:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks ronstuff!

User Info Menu

This is the Comins GCS-1, 11-42, straight into a Crate GFX15. I had the treble rolled all the way down on the guitar. On the amp, lows rolled all the way down, mids at 1 o'clock and treble at 9. This amp has two reverb settings, not enough and too much. I used the latter on this recording. Played it fingerstyle because the chords sounded better that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    This week, a bossa, from Joe Henderson's "Page One."

Attachment 79136

8 bars of modal flavor followed by some descending ii V I's with a little twist. Fun stuff.

I did mine with Jim Hall in mind.

Enjoy!
    Sounds great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Ok, I went looking for a backing track and found something fun! Inspired me to get out my little Ibanez guitar that's been modified to become a Cuban Très. Always gets me in a good mood to try to play latin music...Much needed in these special times we are going through.

Nice job! I especially like the propulsive time feel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Now that I've heard a few of these, I can quickly recognize it's you. Very individual sound, which is great.

User Info Menu

Very moody, rp - I like that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    This is the Comins GCS-1, 11-42, straight into a Crate GFX15. I had the treble rolled all the way down on the guitar. On the amp, lows rolled all the way down, mids at 1 o'clock and treble at 9. This amp has two reverb settings, not enough and too much. I used the latter on this recording. Played it fingerstyle because the chords sounded better that way.

Dark and moody. I liked it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I had a little time this afternoon and decided to try it a bit differently (inspired by others' stratiness). No video this time around, but trust me, no edits. Short and ... something.

John
    Wow! Very, very nice John!
    That's Steely Dan (Larry Carlton?) to my ears!
    I can't figure out what Steely Dan tune that reminds me of RecordaMe played like this.
    Anyone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall535
    I'm really enjoying all the different stylistic guitar mojo.

Here's my 2 cents:

Yea...marshall... cool solo... but the guitar comping was really nice. Really nice to hear.

User Info Menu

Reg,

Care to join us?

I think this thread is a rarity on JGF because we play more than we talk.

That said... I still talk to damn much

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Yea...marshall... cool solo... but the guitar comping was really nice. Really nice to hear.
    Man, im glad Reg commented on this because I almost missed it. Very nice take Marshall535!

User Info Menu

Here's my 2 cents:

Missed this. Thankfully Reg didn't. Very tasteful indeed.

User Info Menu

Here's my 2 cents:

Love the tone, the ideas and the chops!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Missed this.
    Me too.... excellent!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    Wow! Very, very nice John!
    That's Steely Dan (Larry Carlton?) to my ears!
    I can't figure out what Steely Dan tune that reminds me of RecordaMe played like this.
    Anyone?
    Maybe a bit of Kid Charlemagne or Don't Take Me Alive? I didn't consciously copy either, but I've listened to so much LC that imitation is inevitable.

John