The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 173

User Info Menu

Finally had a chance to record.

Long solo. I tried to make the solo build and not come off as "that guy" that takes one thousand choruses--in a damn jam session--and says nothing...

... I think I became "that guy." Building a long solo is an artform and I am on the tip of the iceberg. Hell, at least I found the right iceberg--they kinda all look like blocks of ice to me

At least I am having fun trying to out wit everyone here with creative titles for these submissions. Transcribing My Voice Memos = Recorda Me... yeah, I know. I get a pass for bad jokes because I'm a dad, right?

Enjoy or begrudgingly listen:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fine contributions so far! So here's my modest short take. I got a bit nervous because I still had problems with audio distortion so this is a bit shaky in places but I decided to upload and post anyway. Maybe I'll give it another shot when I'm more relaxed.

User Info Menu

Nah, long solos are fine. I just think its great practice for people to try and get down a good short statement. Building a long solo that doesnt meander is TOUGH.

So I say solo however long you want, but if you're consistently not loving the results, try a short one. Changes your thinking a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Nice playing. I like the phrase you play on the beginig of the last chorus.
    I do not hear any distorion...
    Best
    Kris
    Thans Kris! It's a standard minor pentatonic blues phrase and re: the distortion: I had it fixed by then but had to scrap several attempts today because of it - thus me not being relaxed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Nah, long solos are fine. I just think its great practice for people to try and get down a good short statement. Building a long solo that doesnt meander is TOUGH.

So I say solo however long you want, but if you're consistently not loving the results, try a short one. Changes your thinking a lot.
    Quite right. If you know you can sit and noodle away (I'm guilty) then off you go. But if you know you have only two choruses to say something worthy of attention then it does focus the brain.

Not that I can do it :-)

User Info Menu

Thanks Mr. B.

Just wanted to try and push myself. I never take long solos in jams in real life because I'm intimidated by everyone else. Great musicians over in my part of the world, seriously. Great players young and old. I thought NYC was it for talent... it's not (not like I was any good in NYC as well ).

Flubs abound in this one, definitely. But I think I got to some kind of cool places in some parts.

Hard to stop and get out of the zone enough to stop the backing track and my editing software is kinda lousy and hard to use... at least for me.

I have very limited time to play these days, young family and all. So when I sit down to play I have to make a choice: record for this thread or practice for 45 minutes to an hour for the day (if that).

I gave a disclaimer on my previous post. If you want to listen, that's cool. If not, that's cool as well. I'll try to keep it shorter in the future

User Info Menu

Re: long vs short solos, this is a short form, played at a brisk tempo. 3-5 choruses is not long. Obviously, it depends on how well you execute, but taking a few is not some violation of etiquette like droning on for 10 choruses on a 32-bar ballad. Just play.

John

User Info Menu

You guys are way out of my league. My lame pentatonics and I are going to sit this one out and just take notes or something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    You guys are way out of my league. My lame pentatonics and I are going to sit this one out and just take notes or something.
    Come on give it a shot lawson - it's not that complicated...

User Info Menu

It's not that... it's just you guys are playing several levels beyond me and my last attempts on the previous thread, which I was actually happy about, drew zero comments of any kind, which I took as gentlemanly, polite dismissal of the effort. So there are times when one speaks, and times when one listens. This is a listening time I think.

User Info Menu

You ain't getting out that easy Lawson, pentatonics work great on this one!

As for a lack of comments on your last one, I think sometimes its just when you post and if there's traffic. There was a lot of discussion too last week, sometimes the music posts might get buried. Its just the nature of internet discussion, unfortunately.

User Info Menu

It's not that... it's just you guys are playing several levels beyond me
    Well...I don't think I resemble that remark...

my last attempts drew zero comments of any kind, which I took as gentlemanly, polite dismissal of the effort.
    I didn't get that many comments on my contributions either, maybe one or two. I plead guilty for not commenting on yours - I actually did enjoy them. I didn't do anything with Yardbird Suite because I had the feeling that it was beyond my abilities.
    Lawson: I remember your thread about this forum not being much about playing anymore (because no one hardly posted any clips of their playing efforts) which was and still is encouraging to me to post my humble efforts. I want to thank you for that.

Back to the scheduled program now...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Well...I don't think I resemble that remark...

I didn't get that many comments on my contributions either, maybe one or two. I plead guilty for not commenting on yours - I actually did enjoy them. I didn't do anything with Yardbird Suite because I had the feeling that it was beyond my abilities.
    Lawson: I remember your thread about this forum not being much about playing anymore (because no one hardly posted any clips of their playing efforts) which was and still is encouraging to me to post my humble efforts. I want to thank you for that.

Back to the scheduled program now...
    Man you nailed me with my own complaints... so okay, you're right. I'll see what I can do. In one week, I doubt I can learn the melody itself, but the changes actually don't look as hard now as they did when I first checked it out. I've actually never even heard this tune, that I can recall. Maybe it came over jazzradio.com and I just didn't notice.

I always appreciate advice from the guys here who play. I don't remember to say it always on clips, but I'm happy to think about constructive criticism from anybody who puts their music out there like the rest of us, no matter their level of accomplishment.

So I'll see what I can do. Maybe I'll use the WRONG pentatonic and end up sounding like some really advanced outside player...

User Info Menu

It's not that... it's just you guys are playing several levels beyond me and my last attempts on the previous thread, which I was actually happy about, drew zero comments of any kind, which I took as gentlemanly, polite dismissal of the effort. So there are times when one speaks, and times when one listens. This is a listening time I think.
    I don't think you should assume silence is dismissal. I for one stopped paying as much attention to the thread and had moved on mentally after the first few days. I also didn't want to overdo it with comments.

As for playing this one or sitting it out, I don't think you should let comparisons to others stop you from trying. Either you'll exceed your expectations or you won't. Either outcome is informative, and no one is going to think you shouldn't have bothered or ridicule you. If you don't like the tune or have other things you'd rather work on that's a different story, but don't psych yourself out of trying. Or maybe try the middle ground of taking a stab at the tune privately and deciding whether or not to post later.

John

User Info Menu

(Too?) many notes this time. Thanks for nice and differing contributions everybody.
    I liked the space in "Picked"s long take and now I'm listening a second time...

User Info Menu

So I'll see what I can do. Maybe I'll use the WRONG pentatonic and end up sounding like some really advanced outside player...
    That's the spirit!

User Info Menu

Fine contributions so far! So here's my modest short take. I got a bit nervous because I still had problems with audio distortion so this is a bit shaky in places but I decided to upload and post anyway. Maybe I'll give it another shot when I'm more relaxed.

Nice one. Good phrasing, you hit all the changes, good tone, good feel.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    (Too?) many notes this time. Thanks for nice and differing contributions everybody.
    Very nice! Interesting to see you stay in position - I will have to figure that out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Nice one. Good phrasing, you hit all the changes, good tone, good feel.

John
    Thanks a lot John.

User Info Menu

Nice relaxed feel...you don't sound shaky!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho

Nice clean relaxed playing. You're gonna make me want a strat, too

User Info Menu

Well, if no one really contributes then this idea will probably just go the way of the PS one. Even M-ster has given up contributing to it.

Personally, I don't have much of a problem doing it. I look at the chords, see what to do with them and do it. Usually it's the first take but if I don't like it then I throw it and do it again. And again if necessary.

I'm quite sure Lawson can do this. I've sent him something to get him into action!

I think a lot of us overthink everything, which only gets the brain screwed and the nerves shivering. You don't need all that. Just sort it out and play it. Worrying whether it's 'brilliant' or not, or 'technically correct' isn't worth it. Just do something. Eventually it'll gel, always does eventually. Lawson, for example, at the end of the last tune, was relaxed and enjoying it. At least, he said so!

Tommo got round it fine. Some players, you think 'the guy's lost, it's just vague and undecided'. Tommo's wasn't, the notes were good, so he knows what to do. He's a nice player anyhow.
    Last edited by ragman1; 02-14-2021 at 03:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Finally had a chance to record.

Long solo. I tried to make the solo build and not come off as "that guy" that takes one thousand choruses--in a damn jam session--and says nothing...

... I think I became "that guy." Building a long solo is an artform and I am on the tip of the iceberg. Hell, at least I found the right iceberg--they kinda all look like blocks of ice to me

At least I am having fun trying to out wit everyone here with creative titles for these submissions. Transcribing My Voice Memos = Recorda Me... yeah, I know. I get a pass for bad jokes because I'm a dad, right?

Enjoy or begrudgingly listen:

Want to listen closer with headphones later, but your patience is admirable...I like that I can hear you following melodic/rhythmic fragments and developing them.

User Info Menu

Mr. B,

Thanks for the patience on your end.

Mr. Hohoho,

Space... is the place... man. In some parts on the internet I am known as Mr. Space Man, for better or worse...

... probably for worse

Lawson-Stone,

Give it the ol' college try. Helps to build up confidence so that once all this all done, you can play at real jam sessions.

If you find the right spot, jam sessions are quite supportive and a great place to grow.

If you find the wrong spot... then you learn what "taking a long solo" really sounds like a jam... it's even worse when you are on the bandstand with that person--in the rhythm section--and they don't give two franks about listening to you or anyone in the rhythm section. They just want to prove to everyone that they are worthy of Coltrane and McCoy Tyner... Most of the time they are not, but it awesome to witness the musicians who come close to that bar

Yeah... I've had some great jam experiences and... well, Hep's been with me for a couple of 'em in NYC wayback in the time of waybacks. He'll attest to the wankering as well as the quality playing that frequents these joints
    Last edited by PickingMyEars; 02-13-2021 at 02:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words, Jeff and ragman - much appreciated.