The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 82

User Info Menu

This week, an oldie but a goodie!

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 4) - Yardbird Suite-1612210684938-jpg

I was struggling to make a non noodly statement, so I went with one chorus. Take as many as you want! Maybe I'll revisit this one later in the week.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

sounded professional to me

User Info Menu

I never played this tune, but I've always thought I should learn it. So this will be fun.

User Info Menu

That's not a chicken.

User Info Menu

I suppose it's quite a dinky tune, isn't it? I'll have to do something more exciting with it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I suppose it's quite a dinky tune, isn't it? I'll have to do something more exciting with it...

Rag, I know you usually do multiple takes, so im going to challenge you to push yourself on tempo with this one.

User Info Menu

Fun tune. I want to make sure my Zoom Recorder doesn't mess with my computer like it did the last... tried to use it as an outboard mic.

Played this tune in high school... played it horribly. Almost two decades ago... I am getting old as mold. All good, the older the wiser--I hope

Excited to revisit it again.

User Info Menu

And do we play jazz or does jazz play us?

User Info Menu

Here's my go at it! I saw in another thread that Mr. Beaumont was using a Yamaha THR amp, and that inspired me to use mine. Perfect for a quick low volume recording.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

I was struggling to make a non noodly statement, so I went with one chorus. Take as many as you want! Maybe I'll revisit this one later in the week.

Great tone and really swingin'...Love it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Here's my go at it! I saw in another thread that Mr. Beaumont was using a Yamaha THR amp, and that inspired me to use mine. Perfect for a quick low volume recording.

Sounding good man! Love that Guild.

Great time feel, nice singable lines...my kinda stuff.

And yeah, for a quick phone recording with a track, the THR is the bomb diggety.

User Info Menu

I've played this tune a lot, but usually slower. This one is at 200 bpm. Parker played it more like 220. So, I didn't take it that fast, but it still felt like a struggle. This is the Yamaha Pacifica, Lil 59 in the neck position, ME80 adding reverb and the Little Jazz. Recorded with a phone.

User Info Menu

I think I found a better way of recording these jams with ample backing track present...

point the freaking mics towards my laptop's crap speakers (too late at night to plug in my outboard speakers )

Here is my track, in memory of the Crown Fried Chicken that was always open and right around the corner of the first place I rented in Harlem... I miss those days, but I had a craptastic time renting in and around NYC. Seattle is definitely greener but I miss the FOOD

Jams away... look out BELOW...

User Info Menu

Great choice Mr B and great take! Thanks!

I liked ragmans "ballad" version too!

Looking forward to hear the other jams later today and as they show up...

Here's my effort this week. I slowed the Hal Leonard backing down to 75%

And here an early vocal version

User Info Menu

Hey, that's not a tele!!

[Sounds great!]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hey, that's not a tele!!

[Sounds great!]

The 575 has been neglected too much imho .. Always loved that guitar

User Info Menu

OK, my turn. I'm trying to stick with the concept of doing this as quickly as possible. I did a couple of partial dry runs to get the audio and video sorted. Apart from that, this is a first take. I had been shedding this a bit today with just Drumgenius, and was actually doing more interesting sfuff, but when I finally had the chance to sit down and focus on doing a video, it was too late to make noise, so I just played against a backing track plugged direct into the computer. I feel like this is all kind of the same phrase in the same direction over and over again. I may try again, and try to get it have more twists and turns.

John

User Info Menu

Sounds good to me, has that kind of Tiny Grimes/jump blues guy on a bop-date feel one hears on early 50s guitar solos.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    Great choice Mr B and great take! Thanks!

I liked ragmans "ballad" version too!

Looking forward to hear the other jams later today and as they show up...

Here's my effort this week. I slowed the Hal Leonard backing down to 75%

And here an early vocal version
    Sounds great. I like the slightly slower tempo. You can take some breaths and get more ideas going.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff

Nice one. Great tone, and I like the the phrasing and ideas.

John

User Info Menu

Alright, now we are cooking.

Wanted to leave a few words for some other posters...

Rp, swinging very nicely, and solo has a real shape. I dig.

Pickingmyears, dig the guitar/bass duo and the space it provides...more cliche free playing from you...I envy that.

John daaaayum bro! Particularly on those B sections, but on the whole thing, plenty of ideas I want to steal.

And thanks to all for listening to mine. I find this tune very easy to get noodly on, Particularly if played "up" a bit...so John, yeah, the Grimes bit.. exactly what I was shooting for.

Honestly I need a "What would Tiny do?" T shirt or something. Cuz themes my words to live by. (And a bit later, what would Ray Crawford do)

User Info Menu

Alright, now we are cooking.

Wanted to leave a few words for some other posters...

Rp, swinging very nicely, and solo has a real shape. I dig.

Pickingmyears, dig the guitar/bass duo and the space it provides...more cliche free playing from you...I envy that.

John daaaayum bro! Particularly on those B sections, but on the whole thing, plenty of ideas I want to steal.

And thanks to all for listening to mine. I find this tune very easy to get noodly on, Particularly if played "up" a bit...so John, yeah, the Grimes bit.. exactly what I was shooting for.

Honestly I need a "What would Tiny do?" T shirt or something. Cuz themes my words to live by. (And a bit later, what would Ray Crawford do)
    Yeah, let's get that T-shirt made!

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I never played this tune, but I've always thought I should learn it. So this will be fun.
    Looking forward to it.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I've played this tune a lot, but usually slower. This one is at 200 bpm. Parker played it more like 220. So, I didn't take it that fast, but it still felt like a struggle. This is the Yamaha Pacifica, Lil 59 in the neck position, ME80 adding reverb and the Little Jazz. Recorded with a phone.

Sounds cool. I like the slightly laid back pocket and the even 1/8ths feel, along with space and the phrasing. Great tone, too. Wow, 2 strats on this thread, I may have to break mine out.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    OK, my turn. I'm trying to stick with the concept of doing this as quickly as possible. I did a couple of partial dry runs to get the audio and video sorted. Apart from that, this is a first take. I had been shedding this a bit today with just Drumgenius, and was actually doing more interesting sfuff, but when I finally had the chance to sit down and focus on doing a video, it was too late to make noise, so I just played against a backing track plugged direct into the computer. I feel like this is all kind of the same phrase in the same direction over and over again. I may try again, and try to get it have more twists and turns.

John
    Ideas were very boppish. Crossed bar lines nicely. Classic sounding tone too. Nice job!