The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 82

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Sounds good to me, has that kind of Tiny Grimes/jump blues guy on a bop-date feel one hears on early 50s guitar solos.

John
    A lot to like here. My first reaction as I listened was that you have chops to spare on this tune, and I wish I could do that. The tempo was up there, but the lines were clean, right in time and consistently melodic. Every note sounded intentional. Interesting mix of ideas staying close to the changes and some things that went a little beyond. You played the heck out of the tune.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Rag, I know you usually do multiple takes, so im going to challenge you to push yourself on tempo with this one.
    It was no challenge but I had this blister on my thumb due to over-enthusiasm. However, it seems to have fixed itself. So here's some more madness, only quicker. And cluckier.

User Info Menu

Jeff, Ronstuff, John A, as I'm not a seasoned jazzer, I'm going to try to steal your feel if I get time to play something over this.

Did I already say these jams are a great idea?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It was no challenge but I had this blister on my thumb due to over-enthusiasm. However, it seems to have fixed itself. So here's some more madness, only quicker. And cluckier.

I like this...there's a bounce to it...seems like you might be enjoying this "dinky little tune" a bit

User Info Menu

Rag, do I hear actual... chickens... in your take?

User Info Menu

Kris, you just opened up pandora's box...

As soon as I have a chance, I'll record and post a scat and play as well.

Brings me back to my high school chorus days. I was just getting into jazz... my classmates didn't appreciate my scatting ala Louis Armstrong "gravely voice" over "Steam Heat" one bit. Hey, the arrangement was lame sauce, so why not add some spice to taste.

Also, your impressions take from rd. 3 was awesome and really funny. Jazz studies can make us all a wee bit serious at times... sometimes you gotta be able to laugh a little to learn a lot, no?

Aimee Nolte once did a post about putting your finger over a piano key, but singing it instead of playing it. I've tried to do the same with guitar... very hard. Guitar is both intuitive and a damn maze for getting sounds in your head to speak on the instrument. Anyone else ever give that a go?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Ideas were very boppish. Crossed bar lines nicely. Classic sounding tone too. Nice job!
    Thanks, I was definitely trying to be boppish, so glad to know that came across.

John

User Info Menu

okay Kris, you were brave enough to sing for us so... I tried to do the same.

Wow, is singing bop lines in tune hard!

I said trading 2's when I actually tried to trade 4's with myself... fun stuff on a rainy Seattle Sunday night.

Still figuring out the recording process when my tot goes to bed and I still want to record with a real amp and mic...

Use headphones to hear the bass better.

User Info Menu

Actually, I edited it out, but I sang and riffed on the whole head before my take. You might hear the last few notes.

User Info Menu

no, but I got the dancing monkey at the start...

kiddos... I love watching my daughter do her little dance when I play. I think she enjoys my playing more than my wife does

You all should come to Seattle when C19 is a horrible and distant memory. Play some, eat mediocre pizza (west coast just doesn't get it), and check out those tall trees... they are not what they seem.

Here's to the day when we can all play live and live some ***clink***

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Rag, do I hear actual... chickens... in your take?
    Nah, that was the old lady banging on about the washing-up as usual.

User Info Menu

Actually, I edited it out, but I sang and riffed on the whole head before my take. You might hear the last few notes.
    I did hear that. Sounded just like Frank Sinatra.

I lifted your lick at 0.18. Life will never be the same again :-)

User Info Menu

All these excellent takes Ragman has been posting are giving me gas for an acoustic archtop!!

User Info Menu

Unplug your electric one. Let's hear it!

User Info Menu

OK, my turn. I'm trying to stick with the concept of doing this as quickly as possible. I did a couple of partial dry runs to get the audio and video sorted. Apart from that, this is a first take. I had been shedding this a bit today with just Drumgenius, and was actually doing more interesting sfuff, but when I finally had the chance to sit down and focus on doing a video, it was too late to make noise, so I just played against a backing track plugged direct into the computer. I feel like this is all kind of the same phrase in the same direction over and over again. I may try again, and try to get it have more twists and turns.

John
    I liked this a lot! I want to be able to play bop when I grow up. This was fun to listen to.

User Info Menu

I was browsing YouTube for guitar covers of this and was disappointed that there are hundreds of head covers but nobody seems to have transcribed the originals guitar solo. That's it.

User Info Menu

I was browsing YouTube for guitar covers of this and was disappointed that there are hundreds of head covers but nobody seems to have transcribed the originals guitar solo. That's it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Probably because there is no guitar solo?

But if you're looking for Parker on guitar, look no further!

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 4) - Yardbird Suite-20210208_185412-jpg

User Info Menu

Probably because there is no guitar solo?

But if you're looking for Parker on guitar, look no further!

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 4) - Yardbird Suite-20210208_185412-jpg
    This version has guitar

One of the comments says it's Arv Garrison.

John

User Info Menu

This version has guitar

One of the comments says it's Arv Garrison.

John
    The guitar is basically Bird, but there's a segment of Charlie Christian too.

User Info Menu

Well no shit, shows what I know.

Nice little solo, too.

User Info Menu

The guitarists on the "Legendary Dial Masters" were Arv Garrison and Barney Kessel. Garrison played on "Yardbird Suite."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Some soundslice transcriptions of Arv Garrison here, might be of use:

Search: "arvin garrison" | Soundslice

User Info Menu

Contrafact. Good solos.

User Info Menu

Here's an attempt, no backing though..