The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 187

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 3) - So What/Impressions-1611661499230-jpg

This week, pick from 2 tunes that share the same basic structure, medium or up tempo. Take a few choruses, burn a little, have fun. Gotta have a modal jam at a jam session!

Did mine last night as I'll be very busy this afternoon and evening. As always, looking forward to hearing everybody else's!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Duh, whoops, here's mine. C and C always cool. Took me a full chorus to settle in...

User Info Menu

wow...modal playing...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    wow...modal playing...
    Lol, to be fair, I'm not thinking about modes at all here...just Dm and Ebm blues ides, and Cmaj/Dbmaj and Fmaj/Gbmaj...

And I think I superimpose a ii V in there too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Lol, to be fair, I'm not thinking about modes at all here...just Dm and Ebm blues ides, and Cmaj/Dbmaj and Fmaj/Gbmaj...

And I think I superimpose a ii V in there too
    I'm kinda dreading this. I hate trying to play over long stretches of one chord. It unmasks my general lack of ideas...

ON the up side, I just found a KILLER QUOTE to put in my "Beatrice" solo. Killer. It's perfect. It's funny. I can't wait to set up and record it.

User Info Menu

I have not really listened to this before unploading. Could be a wreck due to zero practice at the moment. Fingers hurt, but wanted to participate in something. Oh yeah, I'm fine with criticism.

User Info Menu

Duh, whoops, here's mine. C and C always cool. Took me a full chorus to settle in...

Loved it!

User Info Menu

Comins GCS-1, Boss ME80 (adding a little lower octave), Little Jazz. Impressions, Dm, IRealpro, 210bpm into a KC150. Recorded with the phone camera and audio.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    Loved it!
    Great tone, time feel and lines. Nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I have not really listened to this before unploading. Could be a wreck due to zero practice at the moment. Fingers hurt, but wanted to participate in something. Oh yeah, I'm fine with criticism.

A particularly nice mood for this tune.

User Info Menu

That's a good feel Jeff, nice and fluid once you settled in, with some interesting lines.

Thanks Kris for saying "original". (Edit: the referenced post seems to have been deleted for some reason)

rpjazzguitar, pretty smooth playing. Thanks for your comment.

I'm into this "play it and post it, flubs an' all" approach
    Last edited by Peter C; 02-07-2021 at 04:21 PM.

User Info Menu

I got a two-fer for you all--seafood and all

Here is the slower take:

User Info Menu

Here is the fast take, listen until the end to get the "secret meaning" behind the track:

(Apologies for my kid's scream from upstairs, it's tantrum city these days for her )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

Comins GCS-1, Boss ME80 (adding a little lower octave), Little Jazz. Impressions, Dm, IRealpro, 210bpm into a KC150. Recorded with the phone camera and audio.
    Nice sound and rhythmic ideas .Need a little more longer phrases with straight 8th in the solo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Nice sound and rhythmic ideas .Need a little more longer phrases with straight 8th in the solo.
    Thanks, that's good feedback. I also thought I was making the phrases too short. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Good morning!

Peter C-- loved the vibe, the melodic lines with the fast flourishes...very Gabor Szabo. Which is a good thing. Really got the sense you were "going for it," which is the whole spirit here, I hope.

Rp, you did a fun little palm muted thing in there that grooved so nicely. I enjoyed the whole thing, but that part was my favorite. Yeah, straight 8ths and longer phrases sound great on a tune like this, but they sound better when broken up with rhythmically interesting stuff like that too.

Pickingmyears, I do wish the track was a bit more balanced, but I've been enjoying how "lick and cliche free" your playing is, because dang, I got a whole Lotta both of those things in my playing.

Looking forward to more listening.

User Info Menu

this is from a couple of years ago, but it’s minus 2 this morning so seems about right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    this is from a couple of years ago, but it’s minus 2 this morning so seems about right.
    Sounds like beautiful freestyle intro before fast tempo take with rhythm section.
    ...but minus 2 and no rhythm section/frozen winter?/.
    Great video clip with exelent playing.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

I don't have the software or hardware to plug directly into my computer... I might try to plug in my speakers to get more balance...

I miss playing live... easier to record for me, oddly enough

I thought the fast recording was worth it because... a Kit Kat commercial played after the backing track and I couldn't stop the track in time. Thought it was kinda funny in hindsight.

And Mr. B, I loved your take. Kinda reminded me of this guy:

Mr. GG is a great inspiration in my book!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars

Mr. GG is a great inspiration in my book!
    There is without a doubt no guitar player in history I have listened to more or stolen more ideas from.
    Well, maybe Jerry Garcia...but I've probably forgotten more Jerry licks than I remember.

Rag, wait, did you pull your first recording? I was about to listen through better speakers... I'll check out the new one now.

User Info Menu

Alright, ragman, listening now...

Do you by chance have iReal? I'd like to hear you with just bass or something like that. There's a spacey quality in your lines I like, but I'm not feeling your backing here.

User Info Menu

jeff, this is marvelous as a deep dish pizza!

User Info Menu

It is a deep pizza dish. With pineapple

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    jeff, this is marvelous as a deep dish pizza!
    But wait, you're from New York!

Thanks Mark. Your version was yummy too...a "simple" 2 chord tune can be beautiful.

Ragman, pineapple on pizza can get you shot around here (just kidding)

User Info Menu

Why? You mean here or in Chicago? Is it a symbol for something, um, not food-like?

It's not SPONGEBOB is it??