The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 187

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Kris has participated with a clip each week and has posted dozens of videos over the years.

But I think the talk-- as long as its about playing-- can be very helpful too. I envy people who can articulate an actual concept about improvising, because mine is just "try to hear phrases and connect the dots as I go."
    Fair enough!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So... you have mainly talking posts, and one playing clip. Why not play more and talk less?
    Good question.
    Look at my version/take/ is quite long. It is not necessary to make a longer version. Let others show their abilities.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Good question.
    Look at my version/take/ is quite long. It is not necessary to make a longer version. Let others show their abilities.
    Online there is no "crowding" and all can show as much of their ability as they want. A long take is not the same as a different take with a different concept. I actually appreciate more a solo that takes just a couple choruses and makes a compelling statement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Online there is no "crowding" and all can show as much of their ability as they want. A long take is not the same as a different take with a different concept. I actually appreciate more a solo that takes just a couple choruses and makes a compelling statement.
    Super
    I prefer one good take but If you like multi versions that is also great.
    Actualy I'm quite busy because I'm working on a new album.
    All The Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Every week I wow to post and before you know it the week is gone .. but some day ..

.. anyways greatly appreciate post the posts and the discussion/advice here. Thx Jeff, Kris and the rest of you

User Info Menu

I should mention, while I'm no pro-- i do believe very strongly in the value of trying to craft a strong, short, statement. It teaches a ton of discipline, and shows you how to create FORM (theres that word again) in a solo.

Me personally, I shoot for one good chorus before even thinking about taking a longer solo.

User Info Menu

I should mention, while I'm no pro-- i do believe very strongly in the value of trying to craft a strong, short, statement. It teaches a ton of discipline, and shows you how to create FORM (theres that word again) in a solo.

Me personally, I shoot for one good chorus before even thinking about taking a longer solo.
    Sure...
    ...but when I have good feel I can play a little more ...it depends a lot on the tune.
    My last take here was not only for this thread but also for my fans in Poland.
    But next time I will do one chorus ...but good.
    If I have time.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

Kris, I think you've established yourself as someone who can convincingly take a longer solo.

I'm talking about people who are struggling to.

User Info Menu

Nobody is going to argue about the value of internalizing great music, whether through learning licks or whole pieces note for note. If your own voice then emerges (that should happen quite early on), great and, if it doesn't, you still have a bunch a of cool licks under your belt.

However, some folk can't "help" doing their own thing, but that doesn't necessariy imply that they're trying to be better than Miles Davis.

Regarding So What, I don't know of any particulary scintillating guitar renditions (apart from an up-tempo Benson version - good luck with copying that!), because Grant Green's, groovy as it may be, doesn't exactly keep me on tenterhooks. So, you're pretty much on your own.
    Last edited by Peter C; 10-06-2023 at 12:11 PM.

User Info Menu

I like this thread more when we play more and talk less.

Makes me less inclined to write essays that... benefit no one.

Plus, to be honest (and I should follow this advice myself ) I think we can learn more about each other by actually sharing our playing rather than talking about what we think is right and wrong. I'm not talking about figuring out who is better than whom. Moreso, learning about who we are through what sounds we create on our ol' guitars.

We're all musicians of varying degrees here (let's not get hung up on that word like we did in the past). Let's communicate like musicians on stage communicate, with our instruments--with our guitars.

Didn't want to say anything, but I've been a member of these parts for a while--lurked for a while--and decided to come back, as risky as that might be.

Why? Because Mr. B's thread seemed like another beacon of light in the darkness. Sharing our playing can be daunting and scary, but it helps us grow. Honestly, what does sharing our typing do for us and our own growth (what does typing my essays of musical thought and steadfast opinion do for my actual musicality on my instrument)?

Can we play more and speak a little less? I extend that ask to myself as well--because I KNOW I need to heed my own advice.

User Info Menu

Well hey...next tune is posted!

User Info Menu

Roger, will do

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Roger, will do

Man I love Twin Peaks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Regarding So What, I don't know of any particulary scintillating guitar renditions (apart from an up-tempo Benson version - good luck with copying that!), because Grant Green's, groovy as it may be, doesn't exactly keep me on tenterhooks.
    Wes Montgomery’s ‘Impressions’ (same thing as So What essentially) is pretty good:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Wes Montgomery’s ‘Impressions’ (same thing as So What essentially) is pretty good:

Beat me to it ... After reading Peter C's comment I was ready to post: Maybe, but there are plenty of guitar versions of impressions

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Regarding So What, I don't know of any particulary scintillating guitar renditions (apart from an up-tempo Benson version - good luck with copying that!), because Grant Green's, groovy as it may be, doesn't exactly keep me on tenterhooks. So, you're pretty much on your own.
    This one is a personal favourite.

DB

Last edited by Dutchbopper; 02-06-2021 at 08:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    This one is a personal favourite.

DB

Good afternoon DB,
    We have the same good picks - good choice.
    I/ve just wanted to send the same Pat Martino version a minute before...:-)
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

don't ignore the contrafacts

my all time favourite. sonny clark misses one a-section but plays a great solo.

sonny red with grant and a not very comfortable BH messing up.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Good afternoon DB,
    We have the same good picks - good choice.
    I/ve just wanted to send the same Pat Martino version a minute before...:-)
    Best
    Kris
    Here's another contrafact with Pat:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Here's another contrafact with Pat:

Great stuff!
    I have few CDs of Eric Kloss.Fantastic sax player.
    Thanks for the link.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Grant Green takes a couple of choruses at 4:25 on this Booker Ervin contrafact:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Well hey...next tune is posted!
    Great melody. Don't know if I could contribute anything interesting though.

User Info Menu

Wes is really smokin at the Half Note. Love Pat Martino's phrasing, too. G Green grooves like heck, though his note choice is a question of taste.

Anyway, I think Impressions has a different feel from So What (faster and furious-er), so proceeded to pick up my archtop and play some dorian/blues/chromatic stuff to illustrate it. I bored myself silly, so picked up the Strat and did a dirty fusion take, nothing serious.