The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 187

User Info Menu

Chicago takes their pizza very seriously, and some ingredients are definitely "frowned upon," pineapple possibly the most.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Best pizza I ever had was a Chicago Style deep dish sausage pizza at Uno's. Although, it should have been sold in a package deal including a visit to a cardiologist.

But, for a simple slice, it's NYC all the way.

User Info Menu

But what has pineapple ever done to anybody? It's just, well, pineapple. Now Sushi, that's a different thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Best pizza I ever had was a Chicago Style deep dish sausage pizza at Uno's. Although, it should have been sold in a package deal including a visit to a cardiologist. But, for a simple slice, it's NYC all the way.
    Funny thing is, Chicagoans rarely eat deep dish. You're much more likely to find a Chicago family gathered around a "pub" style pizza...thin crust and cut into squares...almost never triangles. In Chicago, pizza is not food to eat by yourself.I make a badass pizza, by the wayJGBE Virtual Jam (Round 3) - So What/Impressions-20201023_185442-jpg

User Info Menu

Original New Yorker here...

I MISS REAL PIZZA!

They don't know their ass from their anchovy out on the West Coast when it comes to pizza.

Sorry, ain't nothing like it but back home.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Duh, whoops, here's mine. C and C always cool. Took me a full chorus to settle in...

Loved it! Just one thing that always bothered me when I did a little more jazz on piano was the g-f-g-f in a line. I thought it’d be better to leave out the second g to create a more interesting rhythm and to make it less obvious that it’s really just buying time. Of course in the solo I’d hardly have time to do that.
    I wish I could play some but forearms often not functional. I beginner nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Ladies and Gentelmen,
    Funky Time.
    Some different playing and sounds of my Tele with backing track from youtube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Ladies and Gentelmen,
    Funky Time.

Well that sure was fun. Great inside out stuff...and I like the rotary speaker effect.

User Info Menu

Here's a literal first take, first time hearing this backing track.

John

Best pie I ever had was served in the North End of Boston in the seventies. You had to put foil on a coke bottle for the wine because they had a alcohol license issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I have not really listened to this before unploading. Could be a wreck due to zero practice at the moment. Fingers hurt, but wanted to participate in something. Oh yeah, I'm fine with criticism.

Cool approach. I like the bursts of speed.

John

User Info Menu

I used my outboard speakers this time to boost the backing track. Hope this is better cause I can't wake my kiddo... or no more practice for me's.

Oh yeah, I love a goofy title:

User Info Menu

Jeff -

You'll have to take my word for it that I knew nothing about this antipathy to pineapple on pizza in Chicago. Why I chose pineapple I've no idea. It just came into my mind. They call it Hawaiian over here! So, big apologies for that. Blame the stars.

So here's something. It's got a beat, a bass line and one fingerslip... just to prove it's live. I'm not very good at this repetitive stuff anyway. But the others have done some great stuff with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Here's a literal first take, first time hearing this backing track.

John
    Hi John,
    Very nice swinging version.Great sounding jazz box.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the contributions! Great to hear so many varied takes!
    I also have some more listening to do since yesterday...

Beware: Pineapple is a favorite pizza topping for me. So this take might not be for you...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Jeff -

You'll have to take my word for it that I knew nothing about this antipathy to pineapple on pizza in Chicago. Why I chose pineapple I've no idea. It just came into my mind. They call it Hawaiian over here! So, big apologies for that. Blame the stars.

So here's something. It's got a beat, a bass line and one fingerslip... just to prove it's live. I'm not very good at this repetitive stuff anyway. But the others have done some great stuff with it.

Ah, I gotta grab headphones later...my phone just doesn't pick up the bass well, but there's something in that sound (bass and acoustic) that I like.

Re: pineapple pizza...no worries! its not really that serious...its like this...

You're at a house party in Chicago and somebody says "let's order a pizza" and you say "let's get pineapple" and the room gets quiet, and the homeowner says something like "get out of my house" and there's this long pause...and then everybody laughs and you have another beer and you order pizza.

Without pineapple

User Info Menu

Ladies and Gentelmen,
    Funky Time.

Very cool approach. I like the Leslie effect, too. I've actually done it rock/funk style with bands quite a bit. It works great that way.

John

User Info Menu

Duh, whoops, here's mine. C and C always cool. Took me a full chorus to settle in...

Sounds cool, and definitely got going by the second chorus.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Jeff -

Forgive the long-winded response, but your version triggered a train of thought ...

I think this has the potential to sound very interesting. The way you take it outside and don't just stick to Dorian + blues works well and does give me a sense of "ooh, I wonder what's coming next?" But I feel like I can skip back and forth between different parts of the solo and be in the same place, too much of one mood for too long. I think it's a worthwhile idea to work with such a static accompaniment, which can be entrancing and/or a source of contrast with what you do as a soloist -- not as a substitute or simulation of a rhythm section but as a device in itself. So, I'm not going to say "use a backing track." But, yeah, you have a repetition problem here.

I think the solution is more variation in phrasing, density of notes, long vs short tones, dynamics and timbre, articulations, and exploitation of the acoustic guitar's percussiveness than you've got here. The form is a journey to a place that's simultaneously as close and as far from the point of origin as possible, and then a return. It's like the simplest possible recapitulation of the idea of blues (a journey to the IV and back). A solo has to somehow trace that arc, and if neither the form nor the rhythm section give you the way stations and diversions that make the journey more interesting, you have to use all the tools your instrument gives you. The three horn solos on the original recording are an incredible object lesson in different approaches to that (granted, that rhythm section + incredible genius of vision and musicianship didn't hurt).

John

User Info Menu

Hi John,
    Very nice swinging version.Great sounding jazz box.
    Best
    Kris
    Thanks. I'm digging yours, too.

John

User Info Menu

Ah, I gotta grab headphones later...my phone just doesn't pick up the bass well, but there's something in that sound (bass and acoustic) that I like.
    The bass is okay but you won't like it :-)

Re: pineapple pizza...no worries! its not really that serious...its like this...

You're at a house party in Chicago and somebody says "let's order a pizza" and you say "let's get pineapple" and the room gets quiet, and the homeowner says something like "get out of my house" and there's this long pause...and then everybody laughs and you have another beer and you order pizza.

Without pineapple
    Well, I have to tell you... I've never had a pineapple pizza in my life, with or without ham. Too light for me. I'm a sort of pepperoni and chilli person, Thin, that is, not deep - too much dough. With other stuff on it like peppers, spinach, mushrooms, ricotta.

I know how to live. One day I'll find out how to get round So What.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Forgive the long-winded response, but your version triggered a train of thought ...
    Ah, yes...

]I think this has the potential to sound very interesting. The way you take it outside and don't just stick to Dorian + blues works well and does give me a sense of "ooh, I wonder what's coming next?" But I feel like I can skip back and forth between different parts of the solo and be in the same place, too much of one mood for too long. I think it's a worthwhile idea to work with such a static accompaniment, which can be entrancing and/or a source of contrast with what you do as a soloist -- not as a substitute or simulation of a rhythm section but as a device in itself. So, I'm not going to say "use a backing track." But, yeah, you have a repetition problem here.
    Oh, I think it's a lot worse than that!

(Fact is, I'm just bored with two chords, John, I prefer a tune I can feel)

User Info Menu

You think pineapple pizza is bad... when I was in Israel we had pizza.. but you could not mix meat and cheese... so imagine, you have pizza and you can have meat, or cheese, but not both. Plain old cheese pizza had to be it.

User Info Menu

I dunno why, but ragman's take reminds me of:

I love listening to Bert Jansch and John Renbourn. Them two and Davy Graham were the only three who REALLY knew how to blend jazz and folk sentiments. I mean, it all comes from the ultimate american folk song: THE BLUES!

Anyway, Ragman--I think your playing has that sort of character and lilt to it. Tasty, airy, and mystical--yet still earthy and grounded in the soil

That's a compliment, sometimes they get lost in my internet meanderings.