The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

the players make it interesting...and it's certainly expansive, i.e. wordy...but i don't agree with all that many of his statements...as the writer himself writes, you could just as easily reverse his hypothesis as well...very difficult to button hole an artists entire career!

makes me harken to the old adage- comparisons are odious

(i do wanna play some warne marsh now tho!!)
    cheers

User Info Menu

I don't agree with him at all. He needs to listen to more Lester and more Warne. But it is an interesting read...

User Info Menu

I don't agree with everything he says, but it is well written and a good read - especially if you're familiar with the artists and their work.

User Info Menu

Imagine writing an article describing Prez and Hawk and not talking about their very different sense of swing.

Prez is far more modern in this regard; it’s possible to describe every subsequent horn player as a synthesis of the two approaches. But of course that synthesis was Bird, so what do you expect?

Ethan Iverson does this kind of essay well. Check out Do The Math.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

makes me harken to the old adage- comparisons are odious

There's a pick for that:
    An interesting comparrison between Sonny Rollins and Warne Marsh-dont-compare-jpg

I bought the one with the saying "Don't expect too fast." (They're Pickboy 1.00 mm picks.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Imagine writing an article describing Prez and Hawk and not talking about their very different sense of swing.

Prez is far more modern in this regard; it’s possible to describe every subsequent horn player as a synthesis of the two approaches. But of course that synthesis was Bird, so what do you expect?

and even prez really had 2 distinct era's of sound...his younger basie days and his post WWII agony tone...he even held the horn differently...

agreed on ethan iverson..top class

cheers

User Info Menu

agreed on ethan iverson..top class

cheers
    I was reading Iverson earlier today, an essay on Keith Jarrett's "American Quartet" (Jarrett, Charlie Haden, Paul Motian, Dewey Redman).

Shades of Jazz (Keith Jarrett, Charlie Haden, Paul Motian, Dewey Redman) | DO THE M@TH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

It is actually the sense of swing and the rhythmic elasticity that Pres brought to the game (extending what he'd learned from Armstrong) that was so central to what Marsh and the rest of the Tristano school players were up to.

Specifically checkout the DTM piece

18 with Lee K. | DO THE M@TH

for further discussion on the connection between Pres and the Tristano school feeling of swing etc...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    It is actually the sense of swing and the rhythmic elasticity that Pres brought to the game (extending what he'd learned from Armstrong) that was so central to what Marsh and the rest of the Tristano school players were up to.

Specifically checkout the DTM piece

18 with Lee K. | DO THE M@TH

for further discussion on the connection between Pres and the Tristano school feeling of swing etc...
    This is fantastic - all of Prez's solos transcribed!

User Info Menu

I listened to some Marsh and he definitely plays more "outside" the harmony than Rollins. The comparison to Lester Young and Coleman Hawkins was silly.

User Info Menu

warne marsh on lester young-

"I began hearing Lester Young, and really fell for his manner, on a quite conscious level."

"I still consider my heroes—Bach, Bartok, Charlie Parker, Lennie, Lester."

from good warne marsh interview @

Jazz Profiles: Warne Marsh's Inner Melody - The 1983 Downbeat Interview with Francis Davis

cheers

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

warne marsh on lester young-

"I began hearing Lester Young, and really fell for his manner, on a quite conscious level."

"I still consider my heroes—Bach, Bartok, Charlie Parker, Lennie, Lester."

from good warne marsh interview @

Jazz Profiles: Warne Marsh's Inner Melody - The 1983 Downbeat Interview with Francis Davis

cheers
    Interesting profile. I hadn't seen it before.

User Info Menu

find it interesting that a favorite of birds..was also a fave of tristano school..tho not at all surprised!!

bartok!

this was the one...1949...L.A....an all time fave

cheers