The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 114

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Thanks John. I keep thinking how Jim Hall can pick two notes from a chord and just play them "just so" and it's great. ON these tricky tunes I think I want to try that.
    Yeah, that strikes me as the way to go on this tune.

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

There's the weathered adage of "you gotta just put yourself out there"

I discovered an adage of my own that I like better, "clean that waxy ego out of your ears and you'll hear better."

Humble yourself to hear your strengths as well as areas you'd like to grow. I am a prime example of self criticism run amok. That said, I only started making REAL progress in my playing when I started identified what I LIKED in my playing. That helped me build on my strengths and move from "my playing SUCKS" to "I need to work on the clarity of my rhythms" and "I need to be more intentional with how I outline the changes and create melodies."

I'll stop there. I want to post my playing more than my car salesman wisdom. I'm a teacher by trade, so it sometimes happens unconsciously. Apologies in advance (there I go again).

User Info Menu

Well, I got the opportunity to get together with a bass player today and still had the tune in my head. So here's another version! I didn't intend to post again and certainly don't want to be intrusive, but the timing was there... Recorded into a Zoom multitrack with my beloved 1960 Ampeg Mercury amp. Drums courtesy of the Drum Genius app.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Never heard it, never even heard OF it, so this will be fun!
    Here's one version: Beatrice
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Well, I got the opportunity to get together with a bass player today and still had the tune in my head. So here's another version! I didn't intend to post again and certainly don't want to be intrusive, but the timing was there... Recorded into a Zoom multitrack with my beloved 1960 Ampeg Mercury amp. Drums courtesy of the Drum Genius app.

Sounds great. I particularly love the tone on the chord stabs.

What guitar? Any processing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Sounds great. I particularly love the tone on the chord stabs.

What guitar? Any processing?
    Thanks! The guitar is a 1976 Guild X-175. I used an old Boss analog Delay(Dm2) at a very subtle setting. Used the reverb in the zoom recorder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Thanks! The guitar is a 1976 Guild X-175. I used an old Boss analog Delay(Dm2) at a very subtle setting. Used the reverb in the zoom recorder.
    I feel like I can get a good sound for single notes out of a solid or semi, but chords sound best on an archtop, I think. Your setup and playing sound awesome.

And, I'm also a fan of the old Ampegs. My first amp, which I still use, was a '64 Ampeg Reverberocket, bought new when I was 14. Mostly, though I use a Little Jazz because it sound surprisingly similar to that old Ampeg.

User Info Menu

I found interesting version of Stan Getz.
    why?...he use in Beatrice form Dmaj7 in 12 bar instead of Dm7...bar 11 and 12 looks like em11 A7/ Dmaj7.
    Best
    Kris
    Last edited by kris; 01-24-2021 at 04:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Very fine playing all around!

User Info Menu

Attachment 78602

There is my short take/exercise about minor pentatonic over Beatrice.
    I've worked hard on minor pentatonics last time so for me is quite easy.This is one of my minor penta thinking....anway chord changes are from Stan Getz version/em11 A7to Dmaj7/.
    Best
    Kris
    There is a link:
    Box
    Last edited by kris; 01-24-2021 at 05:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Alright - I'm in...

Did some listening and practicing in the last two or three days to get an ear for the tune. Video clip is the actual first take, though. Turned out better than I anticipated, I was expecting a total trainwreck. Three choruses over BiaB backing track:

Any comments including criticism are welcome: if you think I suck then don't hesitate to tell me....
    Last edited by TOMMO; 01-24-2021 at 12:01 PM.

User Info Menu

You suck!

Happy?

No really, I enjoyed your take TOMMO!!!

You played ideas that had a clear beginning and end. I like how you "built" the end of your 1st chorus into the top of the 2nd chorus.

Playing fast only works when you have something to say and can complete a "sentence." Look at Parker, look at 'trane. I'll take slow and lyrical over fast and bs any day. A true musician knows how to mix fast and slow to create tension build and release within a story. I don't have the chops to do that yet, but here's to dreaming!

User Info Menu

Ragman: that image fits your playing perfectly (or vice versa): very moody!

User Info Menu

It's cold here :-)

User Info Menu

One of the best guitar versions:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Alright - I'm in...

Did some listening and practicing in the last two or three days to get an ear for the tune. Video clip is the actual first take, though. Turned out better than I anticipated, I was expecting a total trainwreck. Three choruses over BiaB backing track:

Any comments including criticism are welcome: if you think I suck then don't hesitate to tell me....
    Nicely done, and kudos for taking the plunge.

John

User Info Menu

Had some time today to do this with a different sound and approach, trying to bring in a more sax-like legato-ish/fusion-y feel. First complete take. I screwed around for a while trying different sounds, and sort out various gremlins, though, so it's not literally my first pass through the tune.

Guitar: D'Angelico EX-DC
    Amp: Garageband "Indie Scorcher" model (I think this is meant to be something in the Matchless vein) + the "Grit" distortion pedal model (meant to be a Rat pedal, I think)
    Recording setup: GarageBand/Presonus AudioBox USB
    Video Setup: The camera on my MacBook Air, captured with the Quicktime Player app. The computer records with a variable frame rate, which won't sync correctly with an audio track. So I pass the video through Handbrake (open source video processing software) to convert it to fixed frame rate, then import this plus the GB mixdown into iMovie, sync the two, trim, and add fade-in/out. This is why I often do just audio and/or do lousy sounding stuff on my phone because this is a PITA. The alternative would be to just play through an amp with the backing track playing through a speaker, and capture all that directly in QT or my phone, but I didn't want to make that much noise (and the PITA approach usually sounds better).

John

User Info Menu

Here goes. I did a few choruses and picked the one with the least flubs. Cool tune—never heard it before.

User Info Menu

Not much of a jazz-fusion guitar fan here but I enjoyed your approach nonetheless, John!

And thanks to everyone who took time to listen to my clip and comment.

User Info Menu

Well, at the risk of looking like a prima donna, and with apologies to those who liked them, I've decided all my previous versions of this tune are rubbish so I've deleted them.

Here's a nice simple frill-free version which will have to do. Roll on Friday :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Had some time today to do this with a different sound and approach, trying to bring in a more sax-like legato-ish/fusion-y feel. First complete take. I screwed around for a while trying different sounds, and sort out various gremlins, though, so it's not literally my first pass through the tune.

Guitar: D'Angelico EX-DC
    Amp: Garageband "Indie Scorcher" model (I think this is meant to be something in the Matchless vein) + the "Grit" distortion pedal model (meant to be a Rat pedal, I think)
    Recording setup: GarageBand/Presonus AudioBox USB
    Video Setup: The camera on my MacBook Air, captured with the Quicktime Player app. The computer records with a variable frame rate, which won't sync correctly with an audio track. So I pass the video through Handbrake (open source video processing software) to convert it to fixed frame rate, then import this plus the GB mixdown into iMovie, sync the two, trim, and add fade-in/out. This is why I often do just audio and/or do lousy sounding stuff on my phone because this is a PITA. The alternative would be to just play through an amp with the backing track playing through a speaker, and capture all that directly in QT or my phone, but I didn't want to make that much noise (and the PITA approach usually sounds better).

John
    Hello John,
    Some nice lines with distortion efect....but in my opinion for this kind of backing track/with walking bass/ is too much distortion.
    Some great jazz guitarist use or used distorion playing modern jazz only as a color to clean sound/look at early John Scofield/.
    If you find backing track of Beatrice in fusion style or funky style your distorted sound will fit much better.
    ...anyway nice feel.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Hello John,
    Some nice lines with distortion efect....but in my opinion for this kind of backing track/with walking bass/ is too much distortion.
    Some great jazz guitarist use or used distorion playing modern jazz only as a color to clean sound/look at early John Scofield/.
    If you find backing track of Beatrice in fusion style or funky style your distorted sound will fit much better.
    ...anyway nice feel.
    Best
    Kris
    In the interest of getting it done quickly and more-or-less spontaneously I used what I had. If I ever decide to do a more serious recording of this tune, I'll put together a more fitting backing arrangement.

John

User Info Menu

Nice to hear and see (most of you) playing. Too bad my home-studio is wrecked, because I would have contributed.

This is really a spendid original by Sam Rivers. His Blue Note albums in the 60's-70's are really all great, both "outside" in very lyrical as stated by one of you above. There's a great version that was cut by Doug Raney with the great Bernt Rosengren on tenor sax. I remember working the hell out of Doug's solo 35 years ago...What an immense player he was. I miss him so much.

Be safe and take care.

User Info Menu

This is to long, but maybe it will be interesting to a few. I decided to play the melody and then try to use the melody for jumping off. Whenever I felt lost, I dropped back into the melody (well, most of the time). I tried to get my ideas from the tune itself. Obviously my own jazz vocabulary limits me, and trying still to just make the changes creates issues too. But I found this a useful experiment. Most won't want to listen to the whole thing--it's almost 4 minutes--but perhaps a few of the more beginner players such as myself will find some ideas and maybe try it yourself. I learned more from doing this than my actual playing probably shows.

If you find here any sign of hope for my playing, I'd love to know! And if you have some helpful advice, I'm all ears.

At least the L5ces is pretty!