The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 114

User Info Menu

Mr. Beaumont... Awesome, really enjoyed that.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

rpjazzguitar, that Yamaha sounds great. Thanks for the jam, enjoyed that.

User Info Menu

Dutchbopper, sounding really good, bluesy and boppy.

User Info Menu

Got off the wrong turn and made a detour to Pismo Beach, home of the worlds largest clams.

Attached Images Attached Images JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 2) - Beatrice-pismo-clam-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Got off the wrong turn and made a detour to Pismo Beach, home of the worlds largest clams.

Nice bluesy take, Frank. I've really enjoyed your laid back feel on these tunes so far.

Which means of course I have to pick something with a little FIRE to it for next week

User Info Menu

Nice feel. Soulful.

User Info Menu

I am fine with whatever, as long as there's more posting of music and less posting of typing.

Get's me outta that bad habit. Typing never helped my playing much.

Great playing on these submissions by the way. Makes me itch to play and post... but recording setup is such a THING. Post soon, when my fam gets to sleep or some sort in the middle.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Okay, so apparently you can use Youtube as video capturing software anymore... when did that happen, again?

Oh Google, how I loathe--I mean, how I love you

I tried and failed to record video using my Zoom H4nPro as the mic... no dice.

I think I'm not even recording my guitar right for this room--lessons to learn, right?

Here it is:

My exclamation is added in disgust. Wasn't crazy about this take, but that's the point. Makes me miss jamming live... If you all are ever in Seattle, let me know Nice musicians over here and you might recognize a couple of us

User Info Menu

Thank you mr b. That was a new tune for me, very nice!

I listened to the original and the takes by mr b, dutchbopper and rpjazzguitar quite a few times for inspiration.
    Very nice guys!

Backing track by Guitare Improvisation - YouTube

So "by public demand" here they are, my (left hand) fingers....

User Info Menu

This is my first and only take today......slow latin style.I know this tune over 30 years but I have not opportunity to play it too much.
    BB bacing track - Intro 8 bars fm7 / Bb7 plus coda fm7 / Bb7 fade out.Played on Hamadyk-hollow guitar.
    Welcome coments:

Box
    Last edited by kris; 01-26-2021 at 06:26 AM.

User Info Menu

A fun device I like to use on those maj7 Chords that go up a 1/2 step, is playing a min pent scale from the root of the 1st maj7 chord.
    So from Fmaj7 to Gbmaj, I play F major then Fm pent for the Gbmaj7. It adds a (#11) to the Gbmaj7. Most of you probably know this 'trick', but I thought I'd share it anyways!

User Info Menu

Been listening to and enjoying everyone's takes a lot...ill make some specific comments later tonight.

So happy to see all the participation!

User Info Menu

I think this thread is a great concept! It's fun to just record something quickly and be able to release something that's not perfect.
    The very famous Rick Beato has a couple episodes where he talks about the age of perfect music that we live in. In my case it's good therapy to be doing this! Thanks Mr Beaumont!

User Info Menu

Here's mine

Beautiful tune. Definitely a work-out for me, and a great choice for this jam concept. I'm tempted to try again in with a more fusion-y/legato sound and approach, if I have time.

(because someone asked last time ...)
    Guitar: 77 Hawk Jazz
    Amp: BF Super Reverb plug-in in GarageBand mated to a SF Twin cabinet model
    Recording method: GarageBand on a Macbook Air with a Presonus Audiobox USB interface
    Backing track:
    . I use an mp3 to youtube conversion site, then drag/drop the file into GB. I also cut the length in half.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    OK. I'll bite. here's my take. I decided for an easy swing and a bluesy approach. One take, no edits. No chart, all by ear. Some tuning issues as you may hear. Sorry for that.

DB

P.s. A suggestion if I may. I think video only is the best thing for your virtual jams Mr. B.. Audio only may some people have editing out mistakes and combining solos etc. which is against the spirit of your project ...
    Great take, Dick. Regarding video vs. audio. I often do audio only direct to computer with an amp plug-in because family is around and/or it's late and I can't plug into an amp. Combining this with video is a production that gets in the way (for me, anyway) of doing the tune quickly and spontaneously. You can trust me (and hear the evidence) -- I don't cheat with edits.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Here's mine

Beautiful tune. Definitely a work-out for me, and a great choice for this jam concept. I'm tempted to try again in with a more fusion-y/legato sound and approach, if I have time.

(because someone asked last time ...)
    Guitar: 77 Hawk Jazz
    Amp: BF Super Reverb plug-in in GarageBand mated to a SF Twin cabinet model
    Recording method: GarageBand on a Macbook Air with a Presonus Audiobox USB interface
    Backing track:
    . I use an mp3 to youtube conversion site, then drag/drop the file into GB. I also cut the length in half.
    That sounds just lovely. I enjoyed the tone, the feel, the tune (which is settling into my mind now), and the improvisation. You all are inspiring me. I was going to sit this one out, not knowing the tune at all, but I have been inspired to work on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Still considering myself a beginner at jazz guitar I have to say that tunes like "Whisper Not" and especially "Beatrice" are not ones I can just put on and play tuneful imrovisations over, I need to analyze what can be done and practice quite a bit.

Thanks for the tips, Jeff!
    But part of the true jazz experience is getting up at a jam session and having to play songs you've never heard before cold. It's worth trying at least some of the time. After a while you get to where you can pretty much function on most tunes. I'll admit, though, that I shedded both of these for a bit before recording (and listened to a few versions).

John

User Info Menu

For some reason this tune keeps reminding me of that Jim Hall tune, "Something Special."

User Info Menu

But part of the true jazz experience is getting up at a jam session and having to play songs you've never heard before cold. It's worth trying at least some of the time. After a while you get to where you can pretty much function on most tunes. I'll admit, though, that I shedded both of these for a bit before recording (and listened to a few versions).

John
    Thanks for your encouragement, John, I may give it a shot tomorrow. Love your version btw.!

User Info Menu

Overall, that sounds really cool. I like the bluesy take and Carlton-ish articulations. Modest amounts of seafood complement the rest of the meal.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    For some reason this tune keeps reminding me of that Jim Hall tune, "Something Special."
    I keep hearing the Fiddler on the Roof theme. Very hard to resist quoting it.

John

User Info Menu

So I really love the melody of this. Spacious, beautiful intervals and phrases... then my soloing seems to break the glass somehow! Not saying this is bad, just saying it's a very early take and I'm just trying to make the changes and play some pretty notes here and there. But I can see how this could be a really fun tune to improvise over. After a pretty decent start on the second chorus it really fell apart, so I just cut the clip abruptly halfway through that second chorus. Nobody should have to listen to that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So I really love the melody of this. Spacious, beautiful intervals and phrases... then my soloing seems to break the glass somehow! Not saying this is bad, just saying it's a very early take and I'm just trying to make the changes and play some pretty notes here and there. But I can see how this could be a really fun tune to improvise over. After a pretty decent start on the second chorus it really fell apart, so I just cut the clip abruptly halfway through that second chorus. Nobody should have to listen to that!

That sounds really good, Lawson. You hung with the harmony just fine and had good melodic ideas.

John

User Info Menu

That sounds really good, Lawson. You hung with the harmony just fine and had good melodic ideas.

John
    Thanks John. I keep thinking how Jim Hall can pick two notes from a chord and just play them "just so" and it's great. ON these tricky tunes I think I want to try that.