The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 114

User Info Menu

Our tune this week is a fantastic mid tempo ballad with some great twists...but its also very accessible.

Short form too, feel free to take a few choruses...I did two.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 2) - Beatrice-1610741100031-jpg

For me, comments and criticism always welcome.

Post yours below! Let's talk approaches too...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Never heard it, never even heard OF it, so this will be fun!

User Info Menu

That’s a nice tune, always meant to play it but never got round to it.

As it happens, the very first jazz concert I ever went to was Sam Rivers, in Sheffield of all places. He had a trio with Dave Holland on bass, and drummer Steve Ellington. It was in a school hall and was put on by a local jazz society. I was just starting to get curious about jazz so thought I’d give it a try.

He might have played Beatrice, although as I recall he said that the music they were playing was completely improvised. It was actually quite melodic stuff, not particularly way-out. So I survived my first live jazz experience unscathed, and carried on!

User Info Menu

I must have been impressed enough to buy a Sam Rivers record, still got it (and Beatrice is on it):

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 2) - Beatrice-f9c7bddd-b8f9-458a-a87d-3ab4af6a47f7-jpegJGBE Virtual Jam (Round 2) - Beatrice-da513bcd-6866-4821-9897-34a2c4b6e2d0-jpeg

User Info Menu

What a fantastic record.

I was listening to this and "Contours" a lot this week...its what sparked this choice.

User Info Menu

That's a Yamaha Pacifica 012 ($179 new, including amp, case, strap and book; made in Indonesia) with a Lil 59 pu in the neck position (that's what you hear). ME80 adding reverb. Little Jazz. Into the phone.

Backing track: Irealpro played back thru a Roland KC150. 100 bpm. Fmaj. "Jazz-Medium Swing".
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 01-23-2021 at 10:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Great tune, was a favorite of some of my jam friends back in NYC.

Great album. Sam Rivers was incredibly melodic even though he was an "out" saxophonist.

I'll throw my hat in as soon as I can head down and play some. Great choices so far. "Contours" is also a great album. A little more forward leaning maybe, but still groovin' as all can be

Dutchbopper Guest
    OK. I'll bite. here's my take. I decided for an easy swing and a bluesy approach. One take, no edits. No chart, all by ear. Some tuning issues as you may hear. Sorry for that.

DB

P.s. A suggestion if I may. I think video only is the best thing for your virtual jams Mr. B.. Audio only may some people have editing out mistakes and combining solos etc. which is against the spirit of your project ...
    Last edited by Dutchbopper; 01-22-2021 at 11:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper

P.s. A suggestion if I may. I think video only is the best thing for your virtual jams Mr. B.. Audio only may some people have editing out mistakes and combining solos etc. which is against the spirit of your project ...
    So you think there's impostors around here on the forum?

Great playing all around - great tones from the F-style solid bodies as well.

User Info Menu

DB, sounds great! Great bop style lines on this one.

I agree on video, just because I like seeing people, I'm not so concerned about "cheating" or anything like that. But I do think there's real value in going in as cold as possible. My rule is going to be to post a first take if at all possible (assuming it doesn't get interrupted completely-- which can happen in my house!)

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    So you think there's impostors around here on the forum?

Great playing all around - great tones from the F-style solid bodies as well.
    Well, let's say video stimulates a more jazz like and honest approach. I know from experience what pro audio software can do and it ain't in the spirit of jazz., heh heh.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

I agree on video, just because I like seeing people, I'm not so concerned about "cheating" or anything like that. But I do think there's real value in going in as cold as possible. My rule is going to be to post a first take if at all possible (assuming it doesn't get interrupted completely-- which can happen in my house!)
    \

Excellent idea. First take though you never know that of course. Clams and all should no problem, right? Good for spontaneity.

DB

User Info Menu

OK. I'll bite. here's my take. I decided for an easy swing and a bluesy approach. One take, no edits. No chart, all by ear. Some tuning issues as you may hear. Sorry for that.

DB

Video also makes it a little more personal and I like seeing how players handle fingerings and such.

User Info Menu

What would you suggest for people like me who never even heard of this tune before yesterday? My first take will be a train wreck!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    What would you suggest for people like me who never even heard of this tune before yesterday? My first take will be a train wreck!
    Mmmm .... yeah. I understand. Consult Dr. Jeff for that. You can probably get a disclaimer due to personal circumstances.

DB

User Info Menu

I actually have a bunch of suggestions!!!

I have my "internalize a tune quickly" scheme I do. I've been using this for jam of the week on Facebook for years, and it's gotten me very good at committing a tune to short term memory in a very short period of time. Keep in mind, it only gets the tune into short term memory, so if you actually end up liking the song and you want to go further with it, you'll have to keep playing it!

Here's what I do.

1. Listen to as many different versions of the tune as possible and learn to sing an approximation of the melody. For a knotty bop head, that's not always possible, but for tunes like whisper not and beatrice, it's very possible.

2. write out the changes and pay very close attention to form. A lot of times, when I write things out, I'll simplify the changes, or I'll write it out twice and compare the original to the simplified. Even if I have a chart to the tune--WRITE IT OUT. It's crucial. And REALLY pay attention to the form.

3. Play the chords and sing the melody.

4. Play the chords and sing improvised melodies.

5. Then actually try playing some improvised melodies on guitar. Before I ever try this step, the form of the tune must be internalized.

So a ton of the work is done without a guitar in hand.

User Info Menu

\

Excellent idea. First take though you never know that of course. Clams and all should no problem, right? Good for spontaneity.

DB
    Definitely.

There's a flub in my take this week. Fuck it, it stays in

User Info Menu

Mmmm .... yeah. I understand. Consult Dr. Jeff for that. You can probably get a disclaimer due to personal circumstances.

DB
    Yes, a note from my doctor!

User Info Menu

I actually have a bunch of suggestions!!!

I have my "internalize a tune quickly" scheme I do. I've been using this for jam of the week on Facebook for years, and it's gotten me very good at committing a tune to short term memory in a very short period of time. Keep in mind, it only gets the tune into short term memory, so if you actually end up liking the song and you want to go further with it, you'll have to keep playing it!

Here's what I do.

1. Listen to as many different versions of the tune as possible and learn to sing an approximation of the melody. For a knotty bop head, that's not always possible, but for tunes like whisper not and beatrice, it's very possible.

2. write out the changes and pay very close attention to form. A lot of times, when I write things out, I'll simplify the changes, or I'll write it out twice and compare the original to the simplified. Even if I have a chart to the tune--WRITE IT OUT. It's crucial. And REALLY pay attention to the form.

3. Play the chords and sing the melody.

4. Play the chords and sing improvised melodies.

5. Then actually try playing some improvised melodies on guitar. Before I ever try this step, the form of the tune must be internalized.

So a ton of the work is done without a guitar in hand.
    Very helpful (why am I not surprised?) Thanks!

User Info Menu

Still considering myself a beginner at jazz guitar I have to say that tunes like "Whisper Not" and especially "Beatrice" are not ones I can just put on and play tuneful imrovisations over, I need to analyze what can be done and practice quite a bit.

Thanks for the tips, Jeff!

User Info Menu

My last bit would be to say analysis is great and all, but deep theoretical dives are not all that necessary. Most tunes give you exactly what you need to know right there in the chords and melody.

If you get stuck on a tune, there is a LOT to be said for simply playing a chord (I like to use a keyboard for this, but whatever works) and simply seeing which notes sound good to your ears against it.

User Info Menu

My name is Mitch and I live in New Jersey and attend University of the Arts in Philadelphia. Here is my first crack at Beatrice. I used the I Real Pro backtrack with two repeats. PS, I'm always looking for jam buddies on Zoom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MFaber
    My name is Mitch and I live in New Jersey and attend University of the Arts in Philadelphia. Here is my first crack at Beatrice. I used the I Real Pro backtrack with two repeats. PS, I'm always looking for jam buddies on Zoom.

Welcome aboard Mitch, hope to hear a lot more from ya.

User Info Menu

My last bit would be to say analysis is great and all, but deep theoretical dives are not all that necessary.
    That's not what I meant by "analysis" but rather sort out in advance what I can play over what chord - that is: not which scale but rather something like Am over F and Bbm over Gb for example and how I get smoothly from one chord to the other

User Info Menu

Yes, a note from my doctor!
    signed off for a week with the blues.