The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 140

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

I want to get to where other folks can call tunes, too, not just me.
    JG.be is in need of a strong leader Jeff .. That guys is you!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hohoho, sounding good!

I like your snappy tone too...strat?
    Thank you mr B!
    Yes you are quite right, early japanese Squire Strat straight into DAW.

User Info Menu

Here we go ...

John

Edit: a bit of explanation ... My approach was basically to be aware of the key centers - Cmin, Gmin, Dmin - and focus more on on phrasing, motifs, rhythmic variation, and taking "breaths" rather than on hitting every chord explicitly. For the most part, I think I did that, though the swing time is a little exaggerated and forced sounding in places.

One thing I found challenging is that the backing tracks I found are all pretty busy. There's not much space to mix chords in with the single-line playing, which makes the solo a bit too much of the same thing. Also, the whole thing is sort of an inverted performance. In the real world, the rhythm section listens to the soloist and the reacts to what where the soloist pulls the dynamics, repeated phrases, etc., and where the soloist pulls the harmony. But with backing tracks like this as a soloist, you have to react to a "performance" that's already there, and it's very hard to make that sound natural. But it's also really hard to do a tune like this without any sort of accompaniment. Scylla, Charibdis, yada yada yada.
    Last edited by John A.; 01-18-2021 at 06:11 PM.

User Info Menu

This weeks jam will be "Whisper Not," by Benny Golson.

Attachment 78339
    The goal here is to improvise. Take a chorus or 3. Play with a track, or not. Don't overthink it. Everybody's cool here, and if they're not, we kick their ass out.
    If you want comments and criticism on your playing, say so in your post. If someone doesn't ask for critique, don't critique their playing.

Keep it fresh. Don't spend all week working out a perfect chord melody. No need to play the melody at all. Let's just say its a given that knowing the melody is important.

Let's talk shop on the tune as we go. Talk about approaches, whatever. Ask players questions.

I'll start us off this week, ill try and post a new tune every Thursday night (yeah, I put Friday's date, it is Friday already in Belgium)

Have fun with this and keep it loose. All levels welcome. Make fun of a beginner and I'll harass you on every post you make here for the rest of your sad, pathetic life.

Here's one bluesy chorus on whisper not. Comments and criticism always welcome.

Who's in? Who's next? Post below!
    Good one. I made a point of not listening to anybody's until I did my own. Even so, I wound up with a similar bluesy approach to yours. Great sounding Tele. Is that the Yamaha amp?

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Here we go ...

John
    Nice sound and playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    There is my 2 choruses solo over Whisper Not.
    Hope you like it.
    Coments welcome
    Box
    Sounds really good.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Thanks. Well, I've done it while you've been posting.... Played the melody because I think it helps 'cement' the feel and done some improv. The tag ending is too fast for my thumb so I've simplified it and faded out. Hope that's all okay. It is what it is :-)

I always like the way you bring out the harmony, and this is no exception that. I'd like to hear you playing against some more dynamic backing.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Some great ideas, there. For a minute I thought you had an octave effect or harmonizer or something, but then I realized it was you singing along. And if nothing else, definitely the best hat on the thread (so far, anyway).

John

User Info Menu

Here we go ...

John
    Really enjoyed this...nice singing lines, great tone, and yeah, plenty of blues.

User Info Menu

Some great ideas, there. For a minute I thought you had an octave effect or harmonizer or something, but then I realized it was you singing along. And if nothing else, definitely the best hat on the thread (so far, anyway).

John
    $12 at Target a couple of years ago. I figure there has to be a reason that a lot of the greatest players had great hats.

That is a processed sound done with a Boss ME80. It's mostly adding the tone an octave lower, but only a little bit. I like the way it thickens the higher notes. I tolerate what it does to the lower notes because I'm not aware of a way to make the lower-octave-note dependent on frequency. It would be nice if the lower note gradually dropped out as you descend in pitch.

I've been using that sound for so long I can't remember what else is in it -- there may be a bit of overdrive.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 01-19-2021 at 06:34 AM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=John A.;1091581]Here we go ...

John

Beautiful tone! It really held my interest by being so unpredictable. High level playing, I'm glad you sent it in. Would you share how you recorded? (method, gear, instrument)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop

Beautiful tone! It really held my interest by being so unpredictable. High level playing, I'm glad you sent it in. Would you share how you recorded? (method, gear, instrument)
    Thanks very much! The guitar is a Seventy-Seven Hawk Jazz archtop (similar to an ES-175). I recorded this direct in Garageband via a Presonus Audiobox USB interface. I used GB's "Large Blackface Combo" amp plug-in and "Silverface 2x12" cabinet plug-in, with this backing track
    . To get the backing track into GB, I ran it through one of the youtube to mp3 conversion sites and imported the resultant mp3 into GB.

John

User Info Menu

Very nice John!

User Info Menu

I always like the way you bring out the harmony, and this is no exception that. I'd like to hear you playing against some more dynamic backing.

John
    Yes...The Rag's bass in backing is not clear and loose dynamic.

User Info Menu

I I'd like to hear you playing against some more dynamic backing.
    This is why I don't use backing tracks. Aside from the fact that the piano's too busy, somebody started putting a shelf up towards the end... and then dropped something :-)

It didn't put me off much but I have to agree with Jens (and others).

User Info Menu

This is why I like my own backings. Nice and clear.

Last edited by ragman1; 01-19-2021 at 01:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Good one. I made a point of not listening to anybody's until I did my own. Even so, I wound up with a similar bluesy approach to yours. Great sounding Tele. Is that the Yamaha amp?

John
    Thanks John.

Yes, it's the Yamaha, right on the tabletop. The track and guitar are playing through it. My phone is directly in front of it, about 6 inches away. Not a bad sound for a "phone sketch" as I call it.

I think the key is to make sure the phone is propped up against a beer bottle. Gives better tone.

User Info Menu

Here's my attempt, trying Mr. B's notion of basing my improvisation around 3 blues scales. I think I actually set the tempo too slow, and I think that hung me up a little, which is odd, but I feel "out of the pocket" with this. I was impressed at how much those blues scales could do! Also guys, this is unusual for me--this was totally improvised, spontaneous. No sitting down trying to work out things to use. I played over the changes a couple times to feel out when the scales would shift, but this is just what came out when I hit "record."

User Info Menu

Thanks very much! The guitar is a Seventy-Seven Hawk Jazz archtop (similar to an ES-175). I recorded this direct in Garageband via a Presonus Audiobox USB interface. I used GB's "Large Blackface Combo" amp plug-in and "Silverface 2x12" cabinet plug-in, with this backing track
    . To get the backing track into GB, I ran it through one of the youtube to mp3 conversion sites and imported the resultant mp3 into GB.

John
    That's the Hal Leonard Real Book backing track. I love their tracks, and the guy who does the count off is the giveaway!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Here's my attempt, trying Mr. B's notion of basing my improvisation around 3 blues scales. I think I actually set the tempo too slow, and I think that hung me up a little, which is odd, but I feel "out of the pocket" with this. I was impressed at how much those blues scales could do! Also guys, this is unusual for me--this was totally improvised, spontaneous. No sitting down trying to work out things to use. I played over the changes a couple times to feel out when the scales would shift, but this is just what came out when I hit "record."

That's what I wanted this to be all about, going for it! Nice job. I like the simple approach on this tune--three key centers, and then you can play off any of the dominants anytime you feel like it.

Re: tempo-- yeah, this tune works best in that "midtempo" range...which is actually a hard tempo, as you feel like your 8th notes are sloooow but if you try to double time, it's FAST.

User Info Menu

This is why I don't use backing tracks. Aside from the fact that the piano's too busy, somebody started putting a shelf up towards the end... and then dropped something :-)

Jens is not saying "don't use backing tracks" there. He's saying "don't practice exclusively with backing tracks." I agree with that, and am not suggesting that you or anyone else do that. I'm just saying it would be interesting to hear you play against something other than your own rhythm guitar. If you don't want to, so be it. I do use backing tracks and iReal, but sparingly. I use them to learn tunes (iReal is good for transposing and for building up to fast tempos), to break the monotony of playing by myself (especially nowadays), and sometimes to simulate performances, but not really to practice musicianship itself. I think it's also helpful to have something there holding down the time and harmony so that I can play lines a bit more freely (and that was my main reason for saying it would be interesting to hear you play with a track). My goal is always to build repertoire and build facility blowing over tunes (not just to make sure I hit chord tones) when I'm playing with other people, and I have found backing tracks/iReal very helpful for that.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone

Nice playing and sound.Very good backing track with dynamic bass.
    Nice jazz feel.

User Info Menu

Jensl talking about metronome...most of backing tr. are made with metronome as a root/you do not hear it/.
    Playing with different backing tracks made you more universal.... it can be a motivation for improvisation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Nice playing and sound.Very good backing track with dynamic bass.
    Nice jazz feel.
    Many thanks.

User Info Menu

This is why I like my own backings. Nice and clear.

But I'm not interested in this being about me. Somebody else do something, please!

sorry...May be I have bad speakers I do not hear clean bass part.
    It is not about You.It is about of the recording quality .