The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 140

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Here's my first run at the tune+improv chorus. This tune was new for me, though I'd heard it before, so my phrasing on the tune is possibly not as natural as it should be since I mainly read it from the lead sheet. Good backing track through from Hal Leonard.

I like how the ES165 sounds through the Polytone MBII. Just sitting here playing it feels good. I hope some of that comes over in the clip.

Advice and wisdom is appreciated.

This one sounds quite good. Improvising over something new can force you to simplify down to what you know confidently how to do, so you just play without too much thought. The results can be surprisingly good. That's all I got for wisdom. For advice, I'd say add more of just blowing over tunes to your routine and don't worry about whether it sounds as together as the stuff you arrange or transcribe, that and when in doubt play the blues. It almost never sounds wrong.

John

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Just so it has been said .. This Jam format has been a great success and definately brings something else to the table than the monthly standard thread .. Great to see spontaneous clips from what is normally very prepared monthly standard players
    This is what I always say- most important in jazz is improvisation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    This is what I always say- most important in jazz is improvisation.
    100% agree kris. Improvisation is what got me interested in jazz and it's what keeps me interested.

User Info Menu

Finally got a chance to do this late last night, everyone was asleep (!) so had to record direct with my solid-body (Ibanez Artist) to keep it quiet. Backing is BIAB.

User Info Menu

Excellent playing and guitar sound, grahambop!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Excellent playing and guitar sound, grahambop!
    Thanks! I’ve had the Ibanez since 1978 but hardly ever play it now. About a year ago I found that all the pots had degraded so much that hardly any signal was being output. So I had to order replacement volume and tone pots and solder them in (just identifying the correct pots to get was quite difficult!). Anyway it seems to have worked, it sounds better now than it has done for years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Finally got a chance to do this late last night, everyone was asleep (!) so had to record direct with my solid-body (Ibanez Artist) to keep it quiet. Backing is BIAB.

I was hoping you'd get in. Nice angular stuff in your opening...great solo. And outstanding tone too.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I really do like these ‘jazz original’ type tunes.

User Info Menu

That's the stuff! Oh yeah. Gotta try playing on those low registers.

User Info Menu

We need lure Dutchbopper into this thread before we close it out.

User Info Menu

Really well done! I listened to it three times. That is the kind of playing that I hope to achieve one day!

User Info Menu

Graham -

Useless, completely useless :-)

User Info Menu

And Christian!

I'll have week 2 up tonight. Brevity is where it's at...no planning, we are gonna get these tunes OUT THERE.

Got a midtempo tune with great changes in mind this week...nice short form too. Very accessible, but not a cliche chord progression.

User Info Menu

Great playing and great jazz articulation.This Ibanez Artist/solid-body/sounds like fat jazz box.
    Played by real jazzman.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

And.... a very nice BB background.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Great playing and great jazz articulation.This Ibanez Artist/solid-body/sounds like fat jazz box.
    Played by real jazzman.
    Jazzingly
    Kris
    Thank you very much kris, that means a lot to me!

Re. the guitar I just play it exactly the same way as my 175, i.e. same kind of attack and angle with the pick, and picking near the neck. It does make me think that a lot of tone is in the fingers and the pick technique. (I also have .012 flats on it, same as on my 175).

User Info Menu

Had to make one more run at this, trying for a different feel. I kept trying to think "Jim Hall, Jim Hall, Jim Hall" but by the time it's done, we are who we are I guess! This has been fun and I'm now ready to hit the next tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Had to make one more run at this, trying for a different feel. I kept trying to think "Jim Hall, Jim Hall, Jim Hall" but by the time it's done, we are who we are I guess! This has been fun and I'm now ready to hit the next tune.

Cool, I'll take a listen to this one as well.

Jim just so happens to have done a great version of this, with Art Farmer--have you heard it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Cool, I'll take a listen to this one as well.

Jim just so happens to have done a great version of this, with Art Farmer--have you heard it?
    You know I kept thinking yes, Jim Hall has done this, it's such a perfect vehicle for him, but I couldn't recall it, and I didn't have it on my iTunes library. I'll hunt for it.

User Info Menu

have you heard it?
    I have. Absolute favorite

Farmer/Hall on You Tube, Lawson.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Okay, listened... Jim Hall is just so fresh and unpredictable. That's an amazing solo. I also realize I haven't got the best phrasing on a few passages in the melody. No more clips, but I need to tune up that melody phrasing.

User Info Menu

Great record that, one of the first jazz LPs I bought. Got it about 1980 when it had just been released. I remember listening closely to all the solos, (not just Jim Hall’s), trying to figure out what they were doing!

It’s quite likely that the way I hear the melody of Whisper Not comes from listening to that record a lot back in the day.

User Info Menu

Yeah, great groove, feel, tone, and taste. Excellent version.

John

User Info Menu

Thanks John!