Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 140

User Info Menu

Sounds great rp, nice relaxed feel.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sounds great rp, nice relaxed feel.
    back at ya, Mr B. I liked your lines, time and chops.

User Info Menu

Not a bad first impression, I'd say. And don't sweat the tag, even Benny didn't always play it.

The melody really does establish the feel on this one. If I keep the melody in mind it prevents me from running a bunch of ii-V's, which I think is good.

Ragman: Nice job! Time feel is especially good. Tone works great. Nice melodic lines. Well done!
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 01-17-2021 at 05:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Excellent, rp - enjoyed it!

(everybody else's contributions so far as well)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Wow, that was great! I wouldn't want to have to follow you at a real jam. I would be keeping my guitar in it's case. Do you have any insights to share regarding your approach?
    Hi,
    Thanks for a nice coment.
    Do not worry...do not afraid me at jam...;-)
    I try to play melodicaly with good feel...this is very important for me.
    Most important thing for jazz musicians is playing live...ofcourse today is very difficult and sometimes imposible.
    So before pandemic time I played a lot of gigs and I had a lot of jams-so what I play today is a result of quite big expierience.
    I try to play long lines and do not want to play licks/what I practise everyday/.I try to play what I hear and what I feel.It is very hard work to be jazz improvisor.Ofcourse I have a big colection of jazz CDs//piano,sax,guitars etc/.
    I practise everyday/4-5 h a day/ on different guitars/hollow,Tele,Strat,nylon strings etc/.
    This take I play fingers/right hand/ but on anothers guitars I use also picking technique-I work on relaxing right hand a lot.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Hi,
    Thanks for a nice coment.
    Do not worry...do not afraid me at jam...;-)
    I try to play melodicaly with good feel...this is very important for me.
    Most important thing for jazz musicians is playing live...ofcourse today is very difficult and sometimes imposible.
    So before pandemic time I played a lot of gigs and I had a lot of jams-so what I play today is a result of quite big expierience.
    I try to play long lines and do not want to play licks/what I practise everyday/.I try to play what I hear and what I feel.It is very hard work to be jazz improvisor.Ofcourse I have a big colection of jazz CDs//piano,sax,guitars etc/.
    I practise everyday/4-5 h a day/ on different guitars/hollow,Tele,Strat,nylon strings etc/.
    This take I play fingers/right hand/ but on anothers guitars I use also picking technique-I work on relaxing right hand a lot.
    Jazzingly
    Kris
    I appreciate your response explaining where you are coming from. Focused hard work over time + listening + live performing = artistic achievement

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Nice Playing!
    This solo can be more "jazzy" without vibrato articulation on some notes.
    Cool,clean notes ...reason why I like hard tension strings/13-14/...:-)
    ...Anyway nice feel.
    Jazzingly
    kris

User Info Menu

Currently learning the tune - melody and chord progression. Not sure if I will feel comfortable enough to contribute but it's a great tune to learn anyways - so thanks, Jeff!

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed learning this tune. Here is one chorus of soloing. I'm not proud of all my decisions, but in the spirit of the thread, I'm sending it out anyway! Criticisms and suggestions are welcome.

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed learning this tune. Here is one chorus of soloing. I'm not proud of all my decisions, but in the spirit of the thread, I'm sending it out anyway! Criticisms and suggestions are welcome.

Nice! I liked the lines! I'm guessing you're already implementing my usual suggestion - scat sing to the chords and, when you sing something you like, put it on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Sounds great!

I really don't have much to critique as far as one chorus goes...I guess I'd just say if you were to take more than one, stray further from the space the melody takes up with your lines...but for a one chorus pass, this is exactly my kind of playing.

User Info Menu

Sound is great... but in my opinion play more straight 8ths notes...I hear to much triple notes feel in your solo.
    Maybe this help
    Jazzingly
    kris

User Info Menu

Nice playing everybody!
    Here is my effort. Backing Hal Leonard Real Book Volume 2.
    @Kris: was your backing MrSunnybass?

User Info Menu

Now I played the first part on piano and really just two run downs on a minor chord and really to me the Locrian A chord is a Cm/A. The D7b9 feels a bit like when you go from C to F and insert an E7 in between. Nice to see how a I-vi-ii-V works if you start on a minor chord, the vi and ii get a flat 5 and the V a flat 9. Then a clever sort of turnaround.
    That’s too me a way to interpret the progression in the way that I hear it.
    Singing it in my head but no time to even record the chords yet. I may sing it wrong too with so little checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    Nice playing everybody!

Nice playing with a nice feel.Real jazz guitar sound!
    MrSunnybass -yes.There are o lot his bass comping on youtube.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    Now I played the first part on piano and really just two run downs on a minor chord and really to me the Locrian A chord is a Cm/A.
    You have discovered one of the two ways boppers handled m7b5 chords. Which is that m7b5 chords aren’t actually a thing, all m7b5 chords can be sensibly handled as minor chords a minor third higher. (The other way is to relate then to dominant chords a major third lower.)

Basically if you think you have to learn separate language for a m7b5 chord you don’t. I daresay you know a lot more dorian and melodic minor stuff than locrian.

Also we have that m3 relationship as well - you can go Cm Ebm on Am7b5 D7

This sort of descending bass progression makes that relationship plain.

As Joe Pass said there are only major, minor and dominant chords. The trick is to see through their disguises.
    Last edited by christianm77; 01-18-2021 at 08:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks to all for the encouragement and taking the time to listen, and comment.

rpj: I have done that scat thing in the past. My current method for getting new ideas into my playing is to steal a phrase that I like and then play it in different keys, adapt it to different chord qualities, add pickup notes (enclosures), change the timing, etc. Choose a different idea everyday, move on, and hope to see some of that pop up in my playing.

mr.b: Thanks for getting this up and running! Next tune I may try two choruses and stray a bit further.

kris: Much appreciate your comment on feel. A little too bouncy, bouncy? I have never been cool.... I will give that some serious consideration.

User Info Menu

kris: Much appreciate your comment on feel. A little too bouncy, bouncy? I have never been cool.... I will give that some serious consideration.
    I haven’t had the chance to listen yet but this is a common problem with learners.

Advice:
    - Never try to swing;
    - keep your playing smooth and even.
    - practice saying the ‘ands’ at a tempo to get feeling of the upbeats.
    - practice your scales accenting the ‘ands’ (but again don’t try to swing.)

That usually sorts people’s swing feel out fairly quickly

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    You have discovered one of the two ways boppers handled m7b5 chords.
    Also we have that m3 relationship as well - you can go Cm Ebm on Am7b5 D7

This sort of descending bass progression makes that relationship plain.

As Joe Pass said there are only major, minor and dominant chords. The trick is to see through their disguises.
    From that last line I would think the eb is the note to which a solo in that section relates. (But then I saw a video where within a major setting the IV went minor and all soloist fell on that m3 of the iv (or the m6 of the tone c) like a tonne of bricks whereas I would get on the 2 of the tonic for a nice diminished feel. So maybe my conclusion is overly obvious to the experienced)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    Nice playing everybody!

Hohoho, sounding good!

I like your snappy tone too...strat?

User Info Menu

Jeff -

Sorry, how often will you be changing the tune? Not that I'm wanting it gone :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Jeff -

Sorry, how often will you be changing the tune?
    Participation seems pretty good. I think weekly, with of course the understanding that not everybody is going to be able to do every one.

I want to get to where other folks can call tunes, too, not just me.

User Info Menu

hohoho -

Nice!

User Info Menu

I want to get to where other folks can call tunes, too, not just me.
    I want them to be a surprise, ones that I don't know and wouldn't have thought of myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    From that last line I would think the eb is the note to which a solo in that section relates. (But then I saw a video where within a major setting the IV went minor and all soloist fell on that m3 of the iv (or the m6 of the tone c) like a tonne of bricks whereas I would get on the 2 of the tonic for a nice diminished feel. So maybe my conclusion is overly obvious to the experienced)

There’s a lot to be said for not always outlining the changes in the most obvious way possible. Standards melodies are often more diatonic than you’d think....