User Info Menu

Merry Christmas, to all!

With the extra time that COVID has provided me I have spent considerable time this summer trying to learn the principles of soloing over chord changes. I feel like I have been successful in finally making some progress working up this solo on the jazz standard “If I had You”. There certainly are a lot of elements that go into this skill. Understanding harmonic tones, nonharmonic, guide tones/ strong target notes, use of chromatic tones, not to mention the need to really learn and know where those notes are on the fretboard. I feel like I am still in the very early stages of understanding and applying this skill but my “Jazz Journey” Continues, Best wishes to all in the New Year!

If I had You, Bill Ward, Guitar and Vocals

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Bill and Merry Christmas also to you.
    Nice work. Not only following the chord progressions but also staying true to the song’s melody.
    Now next round start moving away from the melody. (It’s always there as a crutch should you need it)))
    Carry on!
    d

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Hi Bill and Merry Christmas also to you.
    Nice work. Not only following the chord progressions but also staying true to the song’s melody.
    Now next round start moving away from the melody. (It’s always there as a crutch should you need it)))
    Carry on!
    d
    Thanks for the kind and encouraging words! Coming from a Bluegrass and Country music foundation Jazz is quite a leap but I am feeling good to finally be making some progress.

Best wishes in the new Year!

Bill