The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    BTW I think it is possible to hear echoes of the trad roles even in much later jazz. Thinking of the Miles quintet.
    And all OVER those great 50's Mingus records.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was lucky enough to play with some great young players from New Orleans a while back including Aurora Nealand, and when they hit those ensembles it can be really spine tingling. I particularly like the slower minor tunes like St James infirmary and so on. There’s a sort of gothic quality to that music if that you don’t find in later jazz styles.

I'm with Rob, "Gothic quality" is a good phrase. I know what you mean. Southern literature has often been described as Gothic. (Of course, there's a lot of Gothic lit from distant shores: Rebecca, Dracula, Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein, Jekyll & Hyde...)

So many of the songs are desperately sad and yet hearing them (played that way) makes them happy. Maybe Neil Diamond was right: "When you take the blues and make a song, you sing 'em out again."

User Info Menu

BTW I think it is possible to hear echoes of the trad roles even in much later jazz. Thinking of the Miles quintet.
    Ah Leu Cha

John