The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

From Premier Guitar:

John Coltrane was a titan of jazz saxophone and an improvisor of unparalleled genius. Every jazz musician since has had to confront his instrumental prowess and musical legacy. In this lesson, we’ll relate elements of his improvisational material to the guitar. His note choices are frequently addressed and much of his music is available in transcriptions, but authentic phrasing is not often attempted by guitarists. After all, jazz isn’t just about what you say, it’s how you say it.
    Eleven examples. Some of these fingerings seem pretty tricky to play fast.

John Coltrane’s Undeniable Improvisations | 2020-11-13 | Premier Guitar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It is interesting to consider a left-hand fingering technique necessary to phrase along the lines of a horn player (legato, slurs, etc), rather than being a typical guitaristic staccato approach. Position playing using all four fingers to fret the strings, as I originally learned, lends itself to sounding like a guitar.

Watching the videos linked in the article, however, I am reminded that of that combo I find McCoy Tyner's piano playing far more interesting than Coltrane's horn. I would be more interested in pursuing Tyner's musical concept than Trane's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    From Premier Guitar:

Eleven examples. Some of these fingerings seem pretty tricky to play fast.
    I like the playback software, you can set playback speed. Thanks for sharing this article, very interesting.

-Jon

User Info Menu

What is "undeniable" about his improvisations? Who is denying that he improvised?

User Info Menu

Those crazy Coltrane-denyers, they’re all over social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    What is "undeniable" about his improvisations? Who is denying that he improvised?
    Probably just an ex-newspaper editor who is experienced at writing ridiculous headlines.

User Info Menu

Undeniably!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Those crazy Coltrane-denyers, they’re all over social media.
    Fake jazz!

User Info Menu

From a Fake Book!