The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    Just finished the major scales modes using 7 shapes of 3 notes per string. A nice exercise to practice.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6y__K3SEdmRVPF4YCSEBD5o92yuj6X6i

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I used to practice scales, all kinds, all keys, all positions etc. A lot. But only because no one ever asked me this: " Why practice scales when you could be practicing playing Jazz ? ", or this : " Did the players you admire practice scales? Or did they practice dozens of ways of embellishing chord tones, extensions and alterations? ". Yes, I know that obsession with scales is something that we all probably went through as it's considered a good starting place to develop basic technique etc. But scales to music is like what the alphabet is to language. Practicing scales too much is like getting really good at citing the alphabet, forwards and backwards, starting from any letter, like, really fast . Which is fine if that's what you're into. Meanwhile, others go on to use the alphabet to create poetry.

Just sayin' ...

Scales are just scales, its a chalenge to make it into music. The same with licks, arpeggios etc. Anyway, its good to know the fingerboard and its aproach to the tonalities. Thanks for yours comentary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mauriciopcsouza
    Scales are just scales, its a chalenge to make it into music. The same with licks, arpeggios etc. Anyway, its good to know the fingerboard and its aproach to the tonalities. Thanks for yours comentary.
    When people talk about practicing scales, I always wonder about exactly what they're doing.

Going in order from the root, 2, 3, etc for a couple of octaves and then back down?

Or, playing a tune and, when you get to a certain spot, using the notes from a particular scale, in no set order, but to make melody.

Seems to me that the second way would be better.

Perhaps, this glosses over a fingering issue. But do you really need to play a group of notes with a particular fingering? I'd say, only if you're trying to play at a high rate of speed. Otherwise, you may be better off concentrating on melody and let your fingers find the notes.

Scales are just scales, it's part of making music, whether you know or not shapes in the fingerboard. Those exemple are for the ones who want to practice and increment his aproach. For those who doesn`t, I recommend avoid it and go around the fingerboard on his own way. Cheers.

User Info Menu

I like to spend 5 minutes on scales. I'm trying to learn a bunch of the basics I never bothered with. After scales I do some arpeggios, then I have fun.