User Info Menu

Hi Guys, I try to get more deep into this song - can anybody help me to explain how I can improvise over the parts with a little theory?!

all the best michael

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by JazzHifi
    Hi Guys, I try to get more deep into this song - can anybody help me to explain how I can improvise over the parts with a little theory?!

all the best michael
    Pat Martino has a very good version of Road Song.

User Info Menu

Try this. Reducing the speed to 0.75 might clarify it a bit. I hear pentatonics, riffs, and bebop scales (descending scales with chromatic passing notes between the root and 6- so in C maj that would C B Bb A etc).

User Info Menu

And if you put the chords in you might get some scale ideas from this.

User Info Menu

The changes are quite straight forward so soloing shouldn't present a challenge.

Bar 1-2 G melodic minor. G A Bb C D E F#. Be careful with E natural. An Eb may sound better so it may be easier to think Bb major.
    Bars 3-6 ii V I in Gm (note the EbMaj7 in bar 6 can be seen as a substitute for Gm7, or not)
    Bars 7-8 Some charts show E half diminished followed by a Cm7 in bar 7. This is odd. It looks like Pat treats the Cm7 as an A7 alt in his first chorus, which makes more sense. Treat bar 8 as D7 alt resolving to Gm7

B section is II V I in Bb and a II V I in Ab. Note the Bm7 E7 in bar 4. Don't ignore it. It leads you into Ab. You need to find a line that weaves through it into the Ab II V I. Note how the three changes descend chromatically. Very guitaristic so take advantage of the guitars geography. Let your lines mirror the descent.