The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 76

User Info Menu

Rubato means playing by feel without a set rhythm, just as it comes out.

Can I ask you a couple of questions?

First, can you read music at all?

Second, where did you get your technique from? Your right hand is pretty good. You don't get that overnight and a lot of people can't do it.

The thing is there seems to be a great divide between your playing ability and your knowledge, which is weird. Usually if a person plays like that it means they've studied music, in your case classical guitar. On the other hand you don't seem to know much about it!

But, first, do you read music? Or, failing that, can you decipher a TAB score?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Coming from piano I played Chopins Mazurkas and they all have rubato written in the score. If you listen to them you can hear it very clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well i can read music but not sight reading and not very fast. It cost me but i can do it. I dont like to read cause i prefer to train the ear so reading music is my last resource that i try to avoid as much as possible. Yes tabs helps but i cant find much of the ones i want.

About the technique i started to take it seriously in june of this year. I mean with a professional teacher. This guy is amazing, he offered skype lessons. I am still taking classes with him but not every week as before. maybe 1 per month now. TBH he is one of the biggest virtuosos ever on the guitar, one of the little that can play Paco de Lucia note by note same speed.
    I regret to didnt take classes with him before... i would be much better
    this guy is one of the best ever

check this, the runs he does at the end. at 4:50 is amazing.
    I throwed the plectrum in 2018. But i was experimenting my self, painful and not recommended way, the best thing is to start with professionals. At that moment i didnt know about this fact, i wasted too much time with self taught. I improved drastically since i took the classes in 5 months,
    So its about time and the right direction, to do the right exercises. You can be 1000 years playing but if u dont do the right exercises u wont improve.
    I used to play that time like 5 hours all days, cause of the lockdown. Hours help a lot, you need to practice a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Rubato means playing by feel without a set rhythm, just as it comes out.

Can I ask you a couple of questions?

First, can you read music at all?

Second, where did you get your technique from? Your right hand is pretty good. You don't get that overnight and a lot of people can't do it.

The thing is there seems to be a great divide between your playing ability and your knowledge, which is weird. Usually if a person plays like that it means they've studied music, in your case classical guitar. On the other hand you don't seem to know much about it!

But, first, do you read music? Or, failing that, can you decipher a TAB score?
    but i dont know what you mean by lack of knowledge. I mean its obviously i dont have a formal background. Never studied music like in academy or conservatory or any institution. But i think i gained some knowledge by training my ear. I can improvise or play rubato with anytune regardless the genre also without any backing track but OFC Is easier with a track. Some will cost More but somehow i will manage. It's all about ear training. So i wouldnt say this is no knowledge.

I would say is just another approach that Is working for me. Now if i Wanna make a orchestral piece well i will have to study properly. I Made one using Sibelius and software. I liked the melodies and the ideas but yes my knowledge Is limited to do good accompaniaments. Unfortunately it seems i will need to study music for that. Or maybe not haha. Just growing More the ear.
    I will share this stuff i made, its not completed, and the accompaniaments are not right most of the time, but i think theres some knowledge or skills to compose that ideas.

I will share some of my compositions. I made them using the guitar

Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

also for example check this one, i think there is some knowledge or ideas. Yes i dotn know what i am doing when i compose, im not aware of nothing. This compositions were from 7 months ago more or less. I picked a book recently, an harmony book by R. Korsakov, it explained the harmonic functions I IV V, and i can harmonize some melodies using this technique but only in one key not taking into account modulations. When you guys start talking about chords and theory i just cant understand but i think its not fair to say that there is no knowledge.
    its just another approach, its inside my head. But even if i am not aware of what i am doing , i can tell that the music i did has something, it doesnt sound simple to me, actually i would say is complex at least at some extent. Well that Grisha Goryachev from the video told me it was very complex.He is actually a strange case, a classical guitarist who turned into flamenco, but yes he did conservatory and has amazing theoric knowledge.

For example listen to this begining i did

I have a few more

I wouldnt say is easy stuff

and this one is very crazy lol

the accompaniament is not done for most of the music and it sound incomplete , but at the beginning i did the accompaniament

Yes i mean, i will feel like a complete ignorant if talking about music theory but on the other hand there is some knowledge i should value. Call intuitive value or what ever, but is working for me. I actually dont want to study orchestration and music, only if after some years i see i still has problems. I go for ear development.

i think in these compositions there is a lack of somethings , like harmony, structure, accompaniament, but at the same time i think it has some good things, and is not simple music, so i think there is something good to start polishing, so i dont agree with you that i dont have knowledge

User Info Menu

Well i can read music but not sight reading and not very fast. It cost me but i can do it. I dont like to read cause i prefer to train the ear so reading music is my last resource that i try to avoid as much as possible. Yes tabs helps but i cant find much of the ones i want.
    Okay. Well, I was going to suggest you looked at You Tube transcriptions. They show the music while it's being played and the TAB which gives the fingering. You don't have to perform it but you'll definitely get the idea about playing jazz guitar. You can pause them, etc.

I like your Flamenco teacher. Good player.

I improved drastically since i took the classes in 5 months
    I'm sure.

I used to play that time like 5 hours all days, cause of the lockdown. Hours help a lot, you need to practice a lot.
    Absolutely. So why are you now interested in jazz? What happened?

i dont know what you mean by lack of knowledge.
    I suppose basic applied music theory... and terms like rubato :-)

i dont agree with you that i dont have knowledge
    I only said 'a lack of', not zero knowledge. Reading your post, you say you're putting a lot of emphasis on ear training and intuition. That's good, and your technique is good, but it needs organising. It needs structure. It needs refining. It needs to be applied to something meaningful.

The jazz people say the best way to learn jazz is play it, especially tunes, standards. That way you discover recurring patterns and get an insight into harmony and how to improvise over those harmonies.

I know we all have to follow the best way for ourselves, we're not all the same - some players are readers, some are ear players - but learning is more effective when it's applied to something which has something to teach.

This doesn't mean we all go back to school like children but it does mean directed application. Compare it with, say, cooking. The best way to learn making an omelette is to get a recipe and make one, right?

It may not come out right at first but you try it again. Then, when you can make a really good omelette, you can embellish it, add some cheese or herbs, or other things... in other words you learn as you do.

But how far will you get if you just get a bowl and just throw some eggs and stuff in it and call it 'omelette'?

Apply that to music. Get the 'recipe' and go on from there.

Now I'm off to listen to your compositions...

PS. You need a better recorder, not a voice recorder. Try this:

Audacity (R) | Free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing.

User Info Menu

This one is blank.

I will share some of my compositions. I made them using the guitar
    These are your compositions made with your guitar?

Does it Let you to open the compositions? Some people had problems with that site

I need one to upload MP3 or audio files

User Info Menu

It does everything, no problem at all. But you can't use an old, slow computer because of latency.

Those are your compositions on Vocaroo?

They are. But vocaroo i used as uploading platform. I uploaded my MP3 files Made with Sibelius + note Performer that make Sibelius sounds More realístic.
    I checked all . That isn't empty. Jus starts slower.
    So my point Is that there Is knowledge there. They must be polished but i think it's not simple music

I mean they are not compositions for guitar i just created the melodies with the guitar. Accompaniaments Is incomplete

User Info Menu

In that case why are you here?

lol i dont get your question? why shouldnt I?

User Info Menu

Because you're coming across as a beginner, asking questions like the structure of your music and what style is it. You don't know what Rubato means (but you could easily have googled it yourself). Yet you can compose and make fully structured and harmonically sophisticated orchestrated classical music.

Want to explain?

Well, please let me explain my self.

As I told you, i searched Rubato in the dictionary in google and the definition provided was another different to the rubato meaning people is using in this forum. According to it was just like: freedom for the performancer to slowdown or speed up something in some bars. which was something different to what you said.

And ofc I am a beginner in eneverything, at least I see my self as that. I just showed you my compositions cause it looked that you thought i was a guy without knowledge. I never studied music, just composed by ear using a guitar to help me to create melodie and accompaniaments. I have no formal knowledge, but there is knowledge , cause to make that music is not quite simple. Its intuitive knowledge, by ear development but is knowledge, thats why I showed it

Now one thing is to compose, an a different thing is to improvise, is related but not the same .Thats why I am here. I have some speed, but my technique is not polished, and my sound request a lot of work, i mean tone. That guy you showed me on classical guitar playing jazz. He has a very good sound. I can play way faster than him and more demanding stuff but his sound is better, i have no problem to admit it. I started taking guitar serious with professional help 5 months ago, but only focused on technique and speed (sound is also part of technique but is a different area) I was aware i was not focusing on sound, so maybe now is the time to improve my sound. I will send that video to my teacher so he can tell me how he gets that great sound. So i am not that mad cause i know i never focused on sound. Thats why i am a beginner.

And actually u will laugh, but i plaid "jazz" for 8 years with a plectrum, using jazz backing tracks, so i always saw my self as jazz player, something that maybe is not correct.
    Classical music came to my musical life only in the last year. My improvisations were more jazz focused, (now yes i see they are more classical focused) but i lacked swing ( i think now i solved that). Definetely i am a beginner.
    Actually i think i can learn a lot from this forum and users like you. I will work on 2 standards I like
    they doesnt sound very jazzy but they are part from the jazz repertoire
    sophisticated lady and all the things you are.

User Info Menu

Okay. As this is a jazz forum let's do jazz. Record something - anything you like - with a structure and a swing rhythm. Can you do that?

ok i will compose a jazz tune and will post when its ready

Ok i composed one

I named it Little Bear. Performance is not very satisfactory, cause i was improvising the theme. But more or less thats would be the tune
    Last edited by fingernylon; 10-24-2020 at 02:44 AM.

User Info Menu

No, sorry. It has no real structure and it doesn't swing. You're going to have to listen to some jazz before you try to compose a tune in that style. And, if you're going to play solo, you have learn how to play jazz style with chords and notes.

This is what solo jazz guitar sounds like.

Last edited by ragman1; 10-24-2020 at 04:10 AM.

Well then I'm done with jazz.

User Info Menu

But you haven't done anything yet! If you think you can just snap your fingers and play jazz you must be dreaming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fingernylon
    Ok i composed one

I named it Little Bear. Performance is not very satisfactory, cause i was improvising the theme. But more or less thats would be the tune
    I like this tune. Catchy.

Lol
    This isn't jazz? Is based in anthropology

I did it like 4 months ago

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I like this tune. Catchy.
    Thanks Christian But could it be considered jazz?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fingernylon
    Thanks Christian But could it be considered jazz?
    God I don’t know.

It sounded a bit jazz/ragtime to me. It had some of that flavour.

To be a ‘jazz musician’ you need a range of specific skills and experience with that music.

But I don't honestly know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

But I don't honestly know.
    Actually, it's a good question. If the backing is a known jazz tune, are any notes played over it that fit the chords* 'jazz'?

*Or even if they didn't :-)