The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 76

User Info Menu

Timing. You seem to roll great licks, then have a 8th note pauze before you hit the chord. Also maybe your licks may need evening out of the timing. Chords are no issue at all to me. I will never be able to play those licks btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I think it's totally recognizable and quite charming. This is a bit trickier than it seems at first, but the sooner you start working on it the better: don't listen to the critics.
    Uh, in this case his critic was his guitar teacher. Not a good investment to pay someone for lessons and then not listen to them.

This is why the advise I gave was for him to ask his teacher to provide more info.

User Info Menu

Ok... your advise is better than mine. I liked what he did and just wanted to encourage him. You're right, he could ask the critic to explain or offer the 'right' alternative. Trusting your own ears isn't bad advice though.

User Info Menu

I actually really liked it.

User Info Menu

Don’t see anything wrong with your playing. It is so melodic and chromatically interesting.
    it’s clear you have quite the ear and the chops to match. Great playing. I think your harmonic choices are elaborate and include chromaticism, constant structures and a daft use of the diminished chord.
    And if that’s wrong, I dont wanna be right.

hi , thanks for the comments, i found one possible solution for that chord sequence and i will post it as soon as possible,
    but i have a question, i made this

https://vocaroo.com/kvJWYddTwi9

i was practicing some phrases, but then i started to improvise. i think the music starts from min 0:30
    i dont like that the rythm of the chords is very predictable in the beginning till min 1. But my question is if the music i play in the recording has a structure or not?

User Info Menu

my question is if the music i play in the recording has a structure or not?
    This is getting absurd! You tell us, you know what you were playing!

If you really don't know whether it has a structure then it hasn't, obviously. If you were playing a set tune then it has a structure. If you were just noodling around then it doesn't.

I'd like to hear you play a proper tune with a beginning, middle and end, in a properly rhythmical way. When the melody is over then improvise to your heart's content - but make sure you're following the structure of the tune. That's what jazz players do - but you're not playing jazz. What you're doing is obviously classical.

User Info Menu

The chord kind of turns Blue Danube into a Blues piece at that point. It is incorrect as it was written that's for sure. Sounds like it's leading somewhere else.

User Info Menu

Listen to my sound clip in post #24. It's not blues, it's a leading chord into the minor. It's okay providing the melody is adjusted to it. It would be more like blues if it went to a dominant (C#7-F#7-B7-E).

Which I suppose it could be if one was so inclined. It would probably mean jazzing the entire tune up, though :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bobby d
    The chord kind of turns Blue Danube into a Blues piece at that point. It is incorrect as it was written that's for sure. Sounds like it's leading somewhere else.
    Well to my ears now sound incorrect and found a better chord. But i dont think to turn some classical music into other genre Is necessary wrong. I believe in freedom for create

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    This is getting absurd! You tell us, you know what you were playing!

If you really don't know whether it has a structure then it hasn't, obviously. If you were playing a set tune then it has a structure. If you were just noodling around then it doesn't.

I'd like to hear you play a proper tune with a beginning, middle and end, in a properly rhythmical way. When the melody is over then improvise to your heart's content - but make sure you're following the structure of the tune. That's what jazz players do - but you're not playing jazz. What you're doing is obviously classical.
    Please chill.
    Why absurd? Even an new improvisation can follow a structure or at least some. I Made some impro long Time and people complaint on lack of structure that's why i asked. Cause maybe now it has a More recognizable

You say i play classical music? I'm which recording the blue danube ir the improvisation?
    If it's the improvisation i dont understand why you say it's classical music lol...

I think even the first one has some jazz flavour

User Info Menu

This is jazz. When you understand these harmonies then you can play jazz. What you're doing at the moment isn't jazz. Jazz is difficult and you have to study it.

So what style or genre Is it in your opinion

User Info Menu

It's jazz. That's why they're called the European Jazz Trio. They play jazz.

By the way, I meant to say this before. Blue Danube is a really terrible choice to turn into jazz unless you're as skilled as the EJT. It's endless bars of C and G7. To think of chordal substitutions is pretty difficult. Also it's a waltz which is a lot trickier than 4/4 unless you're used to it.

If you want to get jazzy, why don't you try a jazz tune like Autumn Leaves or something like that? You couldn't just play one major scale over that, you'd actually have to think a bit :-)

No i meant what i plaid in both recordings. The first of blue danube and this one
    Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

User Info Menu

It's not jazz, fingernylon. If you don't see that, too bad.

User Info Menu

This is jazz on a classic guitar. It's pretty good too.

yes ok not jazz, but what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    This is jazz on a classic guitar. It's pretty good too.

thanks for this, i really liked it. his tone and the ideas,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fingernylon
    yes ok not jazz, but what is it?
    It's basically classical, isn't it? It's not folk or blues or some other obvious genre. It's based on the major scale, there is no jazz vocabulary in it, and - to be straightforward about it - it sounds like classical guitar music sounds. It may not be a composed piece and you may be improvising something but that only means you're just playing whatever you want at the time.

Like I said, if you want to play jazz, play a jazz tune. Then you can rightly say it's jazz. I mean, you obviously have the technique, why not apply it properly?

Glad you liked the video. I did too.

I understand your point

So this Is a versión of sophisticated lady. So you think Is jazz? The theme Is from jazz repertoire but it sounds More like classical because of the melodies and also it doesn't have swing feel right?

User Info Menu

Well, I can't argue that the song isn't a jazz tune but there's no gypsy band and no swing. What they're doing is called rubato. But Stephane Grappelli used that kind of violin playing a lot and he was definitely a jazz player.

Violin playing, of course, isn't the same sound as saxophone or guitar. Even when they play bebop it sounds a bit classical!

User Info Menu

But I found this which I like. Definitely not classical!

Yes i see and understand your point. So rubato Is itself classical music? I dont understand what you mean by rubato. Other guy also said that what i am doing Is rubato. According to dictionary rubato means to slow down or speed up a tune with expressive functions
    The oleo stuff started great but turned very repetitive so couldn't end lol