The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 76

User Info Menu

I was making an improvisation . One guy told me that the 0:19 is not correct because is not connected to the next phrase. I still can't see it.
    Maybe its about taste? Do you agree is not a correct chord for that moment of the music?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Slow it right down. I mean, right down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fingernylon
    I was making an improvisation . One guy told me that the 0:19 is not correct because is not connected to the next phrase. I still can't see it.
    Maybe its about taste? Do you agree is not a correct chord for that moment of the music?

To me it sounds like it should go to a 7th chord right there and you muffed the change. Is what you played exactly what you intended to play?

User Info Menu

I dig it. Screw that guy. Critics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I think you're going on an E descending E, E/D#, E/D THEN C#7 (which is nice), then head back to E, but you briefly revisit C#7. It's all pleasant meanderings. The C#7 is a very nice surprise. It doesn't HAVE to go to an expectant place. Music s all about those little unexpected surprises. I like it. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Slow it right down. I mean, right down.
    What do u mean? its very slow

User Info Menu

Hey. Don’t listen to people. Even me now. Just create and share. You have a teacher or someone who you greatly admire who can offer good advice, yeah. Ok. But otherwise people have their own agendas.

User Info Menu

If that’s me, not an interpretation of a put down. It’s just I believe creativity should just be that. I know what he did. I stated it. And I think it’s cool. But that’s just me.

thanks for listening and the feedback.
    well I mean, i just play by ear, i heard those changes in my head. I m not aware of music theory when im playing, i just play by ear. To me it also sounded fine...i was trying to find why he said it was bad chord...

my question would be if can you recognize the blue danube theme on the improvisation. I was playing this for lots of guys and i think they couldnt figure out was a blue danube waltz variation. So maybe its just recognizable on my head so this is something i need to fix

User Info Menu

The thing is, what are you trying to do? are you doing a fast lick with chords in a rhythmic pattern? sounds like that to me, and the point that you were worried about is no less cohesive than the phrase before... to me, it seems showy, and not very clean or lyrical, but good
    (intonation not so much)

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    The thing is, what are you trying to do? are you doing a fast lick with chords in a rhythmic pattern? sounds like that to me, and the point that you were worried about is no less cohesive than the phrase before... to me, it seems showy, and not very clean or lyrical, but good
    (intonation not so much)
    iys supposed to be the blue danube waltz main theme. i just complete the chords with phrases related and addind some different passages like that chord sequence i quoted on the description

but i guess the blue danube is not recognizable...

User Info Menu

I heard it. I like it!

just work on polishing it and I think you have something there.

User Info Menu

One guy told me that the 0:19 is not correct because is not connected to the next phrase. I still can't see it.
    Sounds fine to me. There's no law that says the harmony in one phrase has to lead into the next. Traditionally the harmony flows within a phrase, ends on a cadence, and the next phrase is a new start, you can modulate to a new key or whatever. If it sounds good to you, go with it. It's good to listen to advice, but feel free to ignore it!

User Info Menu

That chord is totally fine.

I'm pretty sure I'd know it was a variation on "Danube" without you telling me...I'm guessing it was one of the "many notes are bad" internet guys looking for a way to rag on you (though I do think you can space the whole thing out a bit more, since you're going rubato)

User Info Menu

thanks for listening and the feedback.
    well I mean, i just play by ear, i heard those changes in my head. I m not aware of music theory when im playing, i just play by ear. To me it also sounded fine...i was trying to find why he said it was bad chord...
    That's totally fine. It sounds great. You gotta be careful with no-it-alls on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    That's totally fine. It sounds great. You gotta be careful with no-it-alls on the internet.
    yes the problem is that this guy is not a random guy , he really understands about music and has deep studies. he is my teacher and he is not gonna try to put me down, he liked a lot the recording and my phrases but he pointed this out as a mistake that i still cant understand

may i ask you if you could recognize the blue danube in my improvisation?

User Info Menu

If something sounds good to you do it no matter what it sounds like to others.

User Info Menu

yes the problem is that this guy is not a random guy , he really understands about music and has deep studies. he is my teacher and he is not gonna try to put me down, he liked a lot the recording and my phrases but he pointed this out as a mistake that i still cant understand

I wonder if this is really just a lack of communication between your teacher and yourself. E.g. did he really use the terms "wrong" or "mistake"? I know my teacher would never use those terms (since they communicate next-to-nothing).

Instead my teacher would say something like: did you intent to play that chord in bar 7? E.g. when I play a different chord than what is listed on the lead-sheet music he provided me.

My point being: ask your teacher more questions.

User Info Menu

Thant's great. Except that the chord is not wrong.

User Info Menu

I think it's totally recognizable and quite charming. This is a bit trickier than it seems at first, but the sooner you start working on it the better: don't listen to the critics.

User Info Menu

It's fully possible that, since, the whole of that improvisation is diatonic to E major, that the sudden introduction of a C#7 is incongruous. This isn't a jazz piece, it's not a Wayne Shorter number, it's not full of interesting jazz sounds. The Blue Danube is a straightforward waltz and the improvisation is virtually classical.

If this is that teacher's view I can see the point. I also appreciate that, for jazz players, any sound is good. No wrong notes, and so on. It's part of the creed and I'd subscribe to it myself.

But, as I say, this isn't jazz as such. I don't even think it's meant to be, either. A C#7 can be introduced in E major but it would have to resolve properly, like going, say, to F# minor. And from there through B7 back to E. That could be done skilfully and would probably add to the interest.

The question I'd ask is whether this was the intention or did the OP just play it inadvertently? I'm not sure he's answered that succinctly yet. I suspect it just came out.

So, if he's happy with it, I suppose he can disregard the teacher. But it might be better - as he has a teacher - to explain his position to him and see what he says.

User Info Menu

Incidentally, while we're at it, it's not true that there are no wrong notes. Sounds very good, but there are wrong notes. There are notes, even in a complex jazz piece, that simply clash and just sound definitely 'wrong' to the ear. They're not interesting sounds over a particular harmony, they just sound like unskilled mistakes.

The idea of no wrong notes is often attributed to Miles Davis but that's basically inaccurate. The actual quote is:

'There are no wrong notes in jazz: only notes in the wrong places'

Bill Evans said:

'There are no wrong notes, only wrong resolutions'

And good old (Toot) Monk said:

'I played the wrong, wrong notes'

Which I think is hilarious :-)

There's no such thing as a wrong note — Musespeak

User Info Menu

I've just played this and revised my opinion somewhat about the C#7. It fits but not quite.

You can fit a C#7 into the arrangement in the second section. In fact, it's quite nice:

E7 - % - % - %
    A - % - C#7 - F#m
    B7 - % - E - %
    F#m - B7 - E - %

BUT it clashes with the melody which begins in the C#7 bar with an F# (definitely a wrong note). But if you change it to an F then it fits.

This is in C. Anyone for a twirl?

Incidentally, although this idea works up to a point I don't think it's necessary.
    Last edited by ragman1; 10-03-2020 at 01:34 PM.

User Info Menu

"One guy told me that the 0:19 is not correct because is not connected to the next phrase. I still can't see it."
    ...and I think he was right.
    My suggestion is that you have to practise more correct-maybe try play with metronome for example.You have to keep the form of the song in your head.
    After that you can play your own style with rubatos and more free .You wil feel more comfortable about this song.
    May be this help.
    Best
    Kris