User Info Menu

So now we've got the tools that we need to solo over minor, major, dominant, and half-diminished chords, as well as ii-V-I sequences in both major and minor keys. Let's put it all together!

This month we'll get some practice applying our skills to ii-V based tunes, specifically the standards Blue Bossa and Autumn Leaves. GF walks us through a 4-step process for exploring the harmony and building a solo. Then he gives us a sample of melodic comping (as you might play in a trio situation) as well as a sample solo before letting us off the leash to shake our thang!

Let's do this.
    Fewell's Melodic Approach - Ch. 10 (Soloing Over Standards)-0huraqwsccsxdoohnp2i_1082117779-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks, Jay!

User Info Menu

Thanks Jay. Watching with interest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Thanks Jay. Watching with interest.
    Do more than watch, my man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu View Post
    Do more than watch, my man!
    I'm trying! I'm back on Chapter 4 and working on transposing "Blues For Charlie" in different keys. The exercise has turned out to be more difficult than expected. Add to that, I'm relearning a couple of chord melody Christmas tunes. Need. More. Time. Cheers.

User Info Menu

I'm going to have to use this thread as a place holder. I'm guessing I won't be here until Christmas. This book is just so rich --if you take the time with it. Nothing is mind blowing unique, but somehow it is incredibly comprehensive.