The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Alrighty friends, this month we continue to put it all together, now adding minor ii-V lines into the mix!

Chapter 9 sees us resolving b7-3 and b9-5 guide tones, using a variety of direct and indirect resolutions. Combining this with our newfound skills in major ii-V resolutions provides us with the foundation to play the changes in almost any standard tune.

We get to flex those skills at the end of the chapter by revisiting the classic standard, Beautiful Love, first encountered in the comping chapter.

Let's do this.
    Fewell's Melodic Approach - Ch. 9 (Minor Guide Tone Lines)-thumb-up-terminator_pablo_m_r-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Watching! But fallen off the group to work on some chord melody arrangements. Finding time is a bigger problem than keeping time... Cheers!

User Info Menu

Well folks, I think I'm going to bail on this study group. If anyone else wants to pick things up for the next chapter, have at it.

Happy GFing, everyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Well folks, I think I'm going to bail on this study group. If anyone else wants to pick things up for the next chapter, have at it.
    Happy GFing, everyone.
    Hey Jay, Thanks for leading us this far! I'm back working on Chapter 4 as it really takes me a while to grasp this stuff. Hope to see you around the Forum.

User Info Menu

Happy GFing, everyone.
    Sorry to hear this. Is it because of a seemingly lack of interest from other participants? Right now I'm working on learning the solo for "Tune It Up" and practising II-V-Is so I can record a proper clip. I'm still around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Sorry to hear this. Is it because of a seemingly lack of interest from other participants?
    This is actually my second time through the book. I wanted to review some of it, and just thought it might be fun to work on as a group if other people were interested. But given that no one else has posted anything for the last couple of chapters, I think I'm going to move on to other things.

I'm happy to keep the threads going each month if people find that helpful, but I probably won't be actively posting any recordings.

User Info Menu

This is actually my second time through the book.
    Mine as well. Got a bit sidetracked lately by working on other (guitar-related) stuff and probably needed a break from learning jazz guitar as well but I've been following the thread nonetheless. Would be great if you'd continue to introduce the chapters if nothing else. Cheers!

User Info Menu

I’ll keep posting, I’m just back a couple of chapters. If nothing else, posting videos makes me more accountable in my practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Would be great if you'd continue to introduce the chapters if nothing else. Cheers!
    No problemo! I can do that.

User Info Menu

No problemo! I can do that.
    Cheers - it will be a proper continuation when the guy who started the group posts the new thread for the remaining chapters.

User Info Menu

I'm back near the beginning of the book. I play some of this material daily. I haven't posted in a long time. May not for another month----got a mixer (digital audio interface) recently and will be recording with Reaper from now on. (Or at least for the foreseeable future.) The learning curve has been steep for me (even with fep's help).

But I do intend to do some of this work and post videos, though they may be months behind.

I understand those who wish to move on. Godspeed!

User Info Menu

I'm still interested, and try to fit it in... been in a bit of a funk lately.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I'm still interested, and try to fit it in... been in a bit of a funk lately.
    Lot of that going around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

And some improv at the end

User Info Menu

Pg 107, four lines in the style of Charlie Parker "who frequently employed these various guide-tone resolutions to outline the chord changes". I'm sure if I tripled the tempo it would sound more like Parker,

Line 2 & 4 are the same as 1 & 2 except with octave displacement. I like the octave displacement device.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Pg 107, four lines in the style of Charlie Parker "who frequently employed these various guide-tone resolutions to outline the chord changes". I'm sure if I tripled the tempo it would sound more like Parker,

Line 2 & 4 are the same as 1 & 2 except with octave displacement. I like the octave displacement device.

Outline 3 from Bert Ligon’s Connecting Chords with Linear Harmony book. Another good resource if you’re looking to dig in and focus on just this one small skeletal line. Tons of examples of lines in the book, transcribed from actual solos that embellish the descending m7 arpeggio resolving to the 3 of the V7—octave displacement, rhythmic alterations, approach notes, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Outline 3 from Bert Ligon’s Connecting Chords with Linear Harmony book. Another good resource if you’re looking to dig in and focus on just this one small skeletal line. Tons of examples of lines in the book, transcribed from actual solos that embellish the descending m7 arpeggio resolving to the 3 of the V7—octave displacement, rhythmic alterations, approach notes, etc.
    My goal is really just to finish the Garrison Fewell book. I think the book is really good. I have so many books I've started over the years but few that I've finished.

I like to work with concepts and then develop my own lines or fit them into modifying my vocab. Thanks for checking it out.

User Info Menu

Sounds familiar...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Sounding great fep. Dig the beard.
    Are the drums from BIAB?
    Thinking of getting the book but am back busking so not sure how much time I have. Decisions, decisions....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Sounding great fep. Dig the beard.
    Are the drums from BIAB?
    Thinking of getting the book but am back busking so not sure how much time I have. Decisions, decisions....
    Ha! Beard... never tried one, I'm pretty religious about sunscreen and a beard gets in the way. With all the isolation and mask wearing of the last year, perfect time to try one. It came in grey/white . I keep it short and still can rub in sunscreen.

Drums are from EZDrummer2. I think BIAB do the job well, but EZDrummer fits into my work flow better. Find something on guitar I like, find a drum pattern that works, start recording, add bass, sing in lyric ideas, build from there. I have EZDrummer as a plugin in Reaper on my main template, I can play in a rhythm with my Korg pad control, EZdrummer searches based on that and lists the grooves that fit that rhythm best, the groove folders include several variations of each: intros, verse, chorus, pre-chorus, bridge fills, endings. And you can modify them also. Good tool for songwriting.

One more thing to do on Chapter 9, playing over the changes of Beautiful Love while utilizing the concepts. This will take a while as I'll be spending time reviewing and trying to get to were this stuff comes out more naturally in an improvisation.

I like the book and have a goal of finishing. It builds concepts at a good pace starting with arpeggio extensions, and on to alterations, chromatic connections, guide tones etc., to bebop lines. By this chapter, chapter 9, the book has built it's way to Charlie Parker type lines. Sounds good to me even though I'm at less than half the tempo that Parker might play them.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the EZ drummer 2 recommendation from. I'll check it out.

Does anyone know if this Garrison book is available on Kindle or PDF (to save costs?).

Ty

User Info Menu

Last exercise of chapter 9, playing over Beautiful Love. Onward to chapter 10...