User Info Menu

Hi Folks!

Do you have any advice how to impelemnt open strings into single note soloing/improvisation? How to practice that?

Some examples:
    1:20

2:46, 3:52

Cheers!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Listen to Gabor Szabo.

User Info Menu

I unfortunately cannot give you specific exercises to work on, but this video has given me some ideas that I hope to work on and explore further at some points.

Starting around 12 mins in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chemiorro
    Hi Folks!

Do you have any advice how to impelemnt open strings into single note soloing/improvisation? How to practice that?

Some examples:
    1:20

2:46, 3:52

Cheers!
    Ah Reiner! Such a great sound.

i don’t know about Reiner, who I think has been quite mathematical, but many players are quite experimental about this. You take the theoretical/mathematical and see whether open strings belong to a mode/voicing etc, or you could just experiment and see what sounds good.

the important thing really is just to get used to it. Maybe make a note of sounds you like?

I like Peter Bernstein for open strings as well.

User Info Menu

Campanellas or over-ring scales are cool too. Can you play a given scale with a combination of open and and stopped notes over ringing as much as possible?

Great for fretboard knowledge

User Info Menu

Carl Verheyen talks a little about open strings here:

If your not familiar with him, not a jazz guy, he's a studio musician with his own band also...

User Info Menu

There's a video where Eric Johnson talks about playing an open string to enable jumping the left hand to another position. Same thing Carl Verheyen ^ is talking about.

User Info Menu

Three jazz guitarists who often incorporate open strings in their playing are Ralph Towner, Gene Bertoncini, and Bill Connors (listen to Swimming with a Hole in My Body). Significantly all have some classical training. Perhaps seeking out some advice from a classical guitarist might be of help. Be glad to reach out to my friends at Austin Classical Guitar if you would like.

Dan