Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Alright kids, after a foray into the joys of comping using simple and straight-forward principles, this month we return to single-line soloing putting all of these concepts together.

We start with a few exercises to get us used to resolving 7ths to 3rds, which will finally get us sounding like we're really playing the changes. Then we cover a few different approaches to resolution, including direct, indirect, and chromatic.

Finally, we get to practice all of this over Miles Davis' classic, Tune Up!

Let's do this.
    Fewell's Melodic Approach - Ch. 8 (Using Guide Tones in Soloing)-download-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dreadfully behind but still very interested in the progress everyone is making. Cheers, Joe

User Info Menu

I'm way behind too, though the book has found its way back onto my music stand and I'm reviewing the early chapters.

Kudos to all who have carried on and are up to date in this important study.
    And a big thumbs up to those who have done any of the work---we're better off for doing however much we've done so far. And having done some, we're a bit more likely to get back in the swing of things and do more! (At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

User Info Menu

Having read this thread I started looking if this would fit me, then I got lost in possibilities.
    So I started with the free download book. It’s given me a taste, fun, and exercises. Thanks to this study group!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Sorry I had to bail several months ago. I’ve been focused on the stuff I am working on for lessons but would like to revisit this book someday.

User Info Menu

Seems that this chapter demands a lot of determination and focus, You have to visualize the fretboard really well in order to see triads at the moment. Triads are so important, I wish I knew this some years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sjl
    Seems that this chapter demands a lot of determination and focus, You have to visualize the fretboard really well in order to see triads at the moment. Triads are so important, I wish I knew this some years ago.
    All true, slj. You get out of it what you put into it.

User Info Menu

How are we going this month, folks?

I haven't had a chance to video or record anything, but I've got most of the exercises under my fingers pretty well and I'm currently working on the sample solo. I'm hoping to get something laid down over Tune Up before the end of the month, but we'll see what the week has in store for me!

User Info Menu

I'm still following but have been sidetracked a bit by playing / practicing other stuff but I'll be back aboard!

User Info Menu

Reading on this thread and the forum is a big motivation for me but many days my forearms are to painful. When it’s all physically working I do sometimes get nice lines but pure on ear and it’s not secure. I’m hoping this course next year for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

No problem, Eck. These threads will still be here for the next generation of GFers!

By the way, I find that a good warm-up is moving gently and freely up and down the neck using the triads+extensions from pp. 18-22. Even spending a few minutes a day loosening up with that will help to give you something on the fretboard to visualise, and to start connecting your ear to those shapes.

User Info Menu

Here's a crack at Tune It Up!.. Fewell's sample solo followed by my own nonsense:

User Info Menu

Nonsense? No way! Very very nice Jay! And inspiring!