Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Page 88 & 89, those four lines and then taking them on for a test drive:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Targetting the 3rd of a chord is the first step in targetting chord tones I think. There's more options and Fewell mentions them: b9 to 5 for example.
    Yeah, from what I understand GF was a legendary educator, and as such seemed to have taken more of "leading the horse to water" approach than a spoonfeeding one. I think this is yet another part of the book where he hands the reader/player the keys, and then expects that they will take a wander and explore the kingdom themselves.

User Info Menu

Very nice, Frank!

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Yeah, from what I understand GF was a legendary educator, and as such seemed to have taken more of "leading the horse to water" approach than a spoonfeeding one. I think this is yet another part of the book where he hands the reader/player the keys, and then expects that they will take a wander and explore the kingdom themselves.
    That has been my feeling early on when I started to work with his book years ago: kind of "hidden" lessons - stuff he doesn't tell you to do but you would come up with yourself if you read and study seriously.

User Info Menu

Ex 8.4 "write your own melodies"

Tried to make each one sound different. The last one I did some targeting of the 5th, that was a mistake that I didn't realize until it was already recorded. Hardest part was the notation. Seems my rhythm is a bit loose, makes notation difficult.

Edit: there is a mistake in the notation. On the last bit those G7 chords are wrong, they are actually F7 chords.

Last edited by fep; 01-08-2021 at 02:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Beautiful lines, Frank - I like them a lot!

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting these vids. I should revisit Chapter 8. In another thread here the Bruce Forman top 10 Jazz tune Podcast is discussed. Bruce says guitarists should focus on 3rds....that's the guitarists job (or something to that effect)

But without digging up my book what does Garrison say about 7ths in Chapter 8?

Writing your own lines down is the way to go I think because it will stick with you so much better then memorizing someone else's lines and it will be "you". Then you can steal some ideas from the greats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    But without digging up my book what does Garrison say about 7ths in Chapter 8?
    The "classic" guide tone line is from the7th of one chord to the 3rd of the next. That way you can clearly hear the chord change.

User Info Menu

Exercise 8.5

This one was tedious for me, I kept getting lost. I did it anyways to be complete. The chords move at two chords per bar and with the position shifts it was hard to keep track of which chord and which position I was in (I like to see the chord grips in my mind while I'm playing single note lines). Some of these lines fall between CAGED grips. Glad this ones over, moving on.

User Info Menu

Exercise 8.6

1st Chorus page 95
    2nd Chorus page 96
    3rd Chorus my own thing based on lesson

User Info Menu

Frank: I like what you did with your own chorus - very nice!

User Info Menu

Ex. 8.7

Cut my finger so now I'm using a pick.

The picking was a bit of a challenge, especially the sweeps Garrison style. A little bit bumpy, it is what it is... or I yam what I yam.

User Info Menu

Very nice, Frank. When I learned that solo for the first time a couple of years ago I found it immensely inspiring for my attempts at improvising over that tune.

User Info Menu

Ex. 8.8

Last exercise of the chapter. Hooray! Onward to chapter 9.