The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

Nothing too deep, just curious...

1] With regard to style, articulation, and phrasing, what instrument do you most sound like other than guitar (not tone, but feel)?

2] Why do you think this might be or how it came about?

3] Do you tend to develop it or suppress it (like a bad habit)?

For me
    1] Trumpet
    2] The coolest lines I really like tend to be trumpet lines
    3] Seems to have developed itself, I like it

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

1. Saxophone, maybe.

2. I listened a lot to Paul Desmond and Johnny Hodges when I was first starting out. Some Stan Getz too.

3. I don't think about them while soloing, but I work on being able to play, instantly, the melodies that occur to me during a solo - which they may have influenced.

User Info Menu

I don’t know but I too see a parallel between jazz guitar and trumpet.

Piano is too much, sax is too legato, and trumpet is kind of choppy - like a plectrum.

User Info Menu

Clarinet, if anything, I guess. Not really close, but perhaps closer than other instruments. I probably got it from listening to the Goodman sextet/septet. I never tried to develop it, I just play the way I play.

User Info Menu

At the moment, a Hammond organ because I just got an EHX C9 pedal. 8-)

User Info Menu

Hi, P,
    #1 Tenor Sax
    #2 Hammond B3

Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Drums, maybe. Percussion. I like to strum muted chord shapes to generate strong rhythms. Several of my songs call for that. I like riffs that convey strong rhythms.

If I do anything on a guitar that sounds like a horn, I'd be surprised to learn of it.

User Info Menu

1. For fingerstyle I hear my thumb as an upright bass, the top voice maybe as a clarinet, and the in between notes as a piano or horn section with light percussion.

2. As a youngster I listened to a lot of orchestral music, some jazz, and I loved jazz piano. My first instrument was piano, and the second was clarinet. They were my reference points when I started guitar.

3. I like exploring different styles and the range of the instrument. I want to develop as a player, albeit slowly since I only have so much time to put into it. I’ll never suppress or apologize for my personal taste. On the other hand, when playing in an ensemble it’s important to be able to play in an appropriate style for the group.
    Last edited by KirkP; 07-14-2020 at 01:26 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm at a loss on this one. I suppose I most sound like guitar. (And teacher gives me an "F" on the assignment).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I'm at a loss on this one. I suppose I most sound like guitar. (And teacher gives me an "F" on the assignment).
    It is a sort of abstract question... and nobody wants to admit to banjo.
    Wondering with the discussion about singing lines if anyone tries for voice?

User Info Menu

Could be a Harp or a Horn as far as phrasing or style. I have some pedals I use to also make a Hammond Organ sound.

User Info Menu

with todays sound options pedals..amps and all...

sax lines tenor alto
    keyboard sounds piano/organ type feel for chords..and harmonized scale fragments

and the guitar itself..the tech options have increased beyond belief...
    crystal clear to thick bass like feel

and so many hi tech players to get ideas from..

the learning experience is a 24/7 thing of beauty

User Info Menu

Bass (walking bass lines)

Flugel horn (lead lines)

User Info Menu

Organ or saxophone, I think.

I've listened to a lot of saxophone but haven't transcribed all that much. Never transcribed organ, but I've always liked the dramatic sound.

I think I came by it by being influenced by two very different guitarists, Carlos Santana and Jim Hall. There's also a little BB King in there. I don't know if anybody else would hear it that way.

User Info Menu

Kazoo!! despite my best and prolonged efforts my guitar playing is frighteningly awful !! I think simple wind instruments are my thing

Will

User Info Menu

I like this question!

a while back someone on JGO described me as a ‘frustrated alto sax player’ which I enjoyed.

My inspirations come from all over really. My conception of what constitutes a jazz line comes primarily from sax. I might have neglected trumpet a bit; just looked at a few Miles, Brownie, Louis and Hubbard things, a few Lee Morgan licks maybe. Should do more!

i don’t always feel a huge desire to do
    obvious guitar things; like Benson or Sco licks or whatever. That stuff sounds great but doesn’t appeal so much to me.

what I prefer is finding a guitaristic thing that suits the music I’m trying to play that’s not always guitar based. Those guys came up with their shit listening elsewhere and they creatively adapted other instrument’s language to guitar.

go through jazz guitar history and you’ll find players sounding like horns, singers, piano even drum kits... the guitar has always taken inspiration from elsewhere, that’s part of the fun. When I want to make up a bass line for a solo part I’m going to look to Paul Chambers and Ron Carter for inspiration, and so on.
    Last edited by christianm77; 07-20-2020 at 04:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    It is a sort of abstract question... and nobody wants to admit to banjo.
    Wondering with the discussion about singing lines if anyone tries for voice?
    Haha I actually took quite a lot from banjo for my early jazz stylings. There’s a 16th note wrist flick strum thing that jazz banjoists do that you don’t hear in many guitar players even doing the trad thing. It’s a neat sound if you can get the knack and doable on guitar.

The only guitarist I’ve heard doing it is Pete Townshend. Who started on trad jazz banjo (Entwhistle was a Clarinetist you can’t half hear it.)

Also Tuba... Paul Chambers always sounds like a NOLA tuba player when playing two-feel

voice: I think vocal versions of tunes are always my first point of contact but don’t think too much about that. But I was a singer (classical) so maybe?

User Info Menu

I play lap steel primarily these days and aspects of the instrument cross over into my guitar playing and vice versa.

User Info Menu

For me, it's also trumpet.
    I'm not sure why.
    But before I wore out Charlie, Django, and Wes' records, I listened to Jonah Jones' "Muted Jazz" too many times to count.
    Amazing solos!
    Then I saw him on TV a few years later, and he played the same solos!

User Info Menu

B3

User Info Menu

Mongolian nose flute.

User Info Menu

An instrument of torture.

Inquisition style.

User Info Menu

I shoot for Rhodes, when comping.

Otherwise, I'm fine with sounding like a guitar. I like guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Mongolian nose flute.

Hi, G,
    With or without nasal hair? Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, G,
    With or without nasal hair? Play live . . . Marinero
    I’m not telling you the secrets of my technique.

My rendition of ‘Giant Steppes’ strikes fear into the hearts of my enemies.