The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

It seems like some of us might be feeling a little bit behind or overwhelmed, which is understandable considering the state of the world just now. If this describes you, then great news! You can continue to work on the single-note improv material from previous chapters, because this month is all about comping.

In this chapter, GF provides us with a simple yet very effective method for comping using guide tones (3rds and 7ths), plus one or two additional herbs and/or spices. We get plenty of practice on common major and minor progressions, and then get to hone our skills on two -- count 'em, two! -- tunes: Rhythm Changes and Beautiful Love. And of course, there's nothing stopping us from applying this to our previous tunes as well.

Let's do this.
    Fewell's Melodic Approach - Ch. 7 (Comping with Guide Tones)-chv2mcpwgaaph4n-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This reminds me of Fareed Haque's (spelling?) course on comping. I've only cracked a few pages, but it's very similar in it's two note approach with adding a color note on top. Either way, a great way to teach how to comp without stepping on toes. I'll have to go revisit Fareed's course now too.

User Info Menu

I'm lagging behind but still working on the material. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    This reminds me of Fareed Haque's (spelling?) course on comping. I've only cracked a few pages, but it's very similar in it's two note approach with adding a color note on top. Either way, a great way to teach how to comp without stepping on toes. I'll have to go revisit Fareed's course now too.
    Yeah, it's pretty well just a simplified version of Fareed's method, so if you've done Fareed's course, you already know this stuff. Fareed's approach has a lot more options and flexibility with the dominant subs, secondary ii-Vs, etc., so I think it's a great thing to do in parallel with this book. They fit together really well.

User Info Menu

Ex 7.4 Rhythm Changes

User Info Menu

Sounds great, Frank! I really like that walk up at the end of the bridge.

I'm still practicing this stuff but haven't had a chance to record anything yet. Hopefully in the next few days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Sounds great, Frank! I really like that walk up at the end of the bridge.

I'm still practicing this stuff but haven't had a chance to record anything yet. Hopefully in the next few days.
    Thanks, that walk up it's just going right up the scale and putting some notes underneath, all on the D, G, and B string. I would name the chords going up the scale as F13, F7sus, F13, Eb/F, F7, Fsus, then I just played a C note. You really could do it by after the F13 you just alternate Eb and F triads.

I noticed there's no backing track for the last tune of the chapter. Maybe that was an oversight? I will create one using band in a box and share with the group.
    Last edited by fep; 07-23-2020 at 07:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Can't let Frank be alone here. Funny faces and my cycling shoe collection all included at no extra charge.

User Info Menu

Can't let Frank be alone here. Funny faces and my cycling shoe collection all included at no extra charge.

Excellent, and punchy!

User Info Menu

Nice, Bahnzo! I came for the cycling shoes, but I stayed for the sweet grooves.

User Info Menu

Good swing feel, Bahnzo!

User Info Menu

Ex 7-7 Love is Beautiful (Beautiful Love) backing track, Drums and Bass: Box

Chord Chart to Backing Track: Box

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Ex 7.7

This is using the written music with little variation. I should probably do another one and I do more of my own thing.

Last edited by fep; 08-20-2020 at 05:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Exercise 7.7 Take 2

This time I used Fewell's concepts but did my own thing. This was a bit in my wheelhouse as I already favor playing three and four note chords on the first four strings.

Now, on to chapter 8.

Last edited by fep; 08-21-2020 at 07:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Sounds great, Frank! Looks like this style of comping is very natural for you.

User Info Menu

I have absolutely LOVED this chapter, and have gotten a lot out of it. Here is my version of "Beautiful Love" based on the example in the book. It's not as slick, but it's all me --so that has to count for something. I would like to just keep working on this material another month, but I also want to support the study group by catching up. I'm going to just post this and move on.

User Info Menu

Sounds great. And that's a uniquely beautiful guitar.

User Info Menu

Nice rlrhett. And the good news is that you can keep working on this material!

You can comp your way through the changes of each exercise and tune going forward, and you can comp through the changes of all the previous tunes that we've covered as well. Nothing wrong with including a few minutes of comping in your practice sessions.

And these small, easy-to-grab voicings are great for adding in to improv as well. You can end lines with them to imply the harmony, and you can move back and forth between them and single-line improv. I'd really like to work on that more myself.