I've been struggling at this Jazz thing for a while and whilst I'm still not happy with my playing, I feel I need some pressure in order to get better so I've decided I'll be posting examples of my playing over tunes I've been working on. Criticism is very much welcome and appreciated.

My first post is 2 choruses of Half Nelson (1 chorus melody, 1 chorus improvisation)

Also apologies about the poor sound quality, recorded this using my phone and have the fan on in the background as it is rather hot.

EDIT: my goal is to be able to play at about 160 bpm with control over what I'm playing within two years, and my ultimate goal is to be able to improvise solo guitar arrangements over tunes I know.

This tune was played at about 100 bpm and whilst I feel like I had control over what I was playing, I did struggle a bit (as you can hear)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, I think it sounds great and it’s a good idea to post your progress. Are you playing chord melody or playing the melody over a pre-recorded rhythm/backing track that you’ve made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by craigmill
    Hi, I think it sounds great and it’s a good idea to post your progress. Are you playing chord melody or playing the melody over a pre-recorded rhythm/backing track that you’ve made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    just the melody for now, and I’m using ireal pro for the backing track.

Currently doing a lot of work with single note improvised lines and working on comping separately. Every now and again I make a stab at creating chord melody arrangements but nothing with which I’m pleased yet.

User Info Menu

I would map out and play chord scales, then arpeggios, then some more interesting chord outlines** in steady eighth notes. Then practice that last one over and over (chord outlines that is).

Practice voice leading at each chord change, even if you have to pause at those points for a little while while practicing. Break it down and target chord tones in isolation at the chord change to help with that. (Meaning, as a drill play a chorus where you play just one chord tone for each chord all the way through the chorus. For example, roots only, then 3rd, etc. Then play two tones for each chord, then three, then a 7th chord arpeggo. Make sure that you know where all the tones are and can access them at will. It's a bit tedious but pays off).

Then vary the steady eighth note rhythm with a few triplets and some syncopation, etc. That will help make things a bit more interesting melodically.

Concentrate on one area of the fretboard at first, then expand to others after getting the above under smooth control.

** chord outlines is a separate topic.
    Last edited by GTRMan; 06-26-2020 at 07:56 PM.