The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

Alright folks, the moment we've all been waiting for has finally arrived! This month we're putting all of our hard work together, and using it to build a solo.

Following a few pointers and hot tips, we will be applying our newfound skills to the classic standard Just Friends. Fewell gives us a model solo to show us how it's done, and then we're thrown into the deep end -- sink or swim!

Let's do this.
    Fewell's Melodic Approach - Ch. 6 (Building a Solo)-vhxnerb-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That sample solo is great and very inspiring. Learned and memorized it first time around.

User Info Menu

I'm lagging behind but I'm in!

User Info Menu

I feel this is a pretty straight ahead chapter. I've already been using his approach when analyzing songs, and I'm sure many of you have as well.

One thing I totally forgot was the Em7b5 being a Gminor extension. I probably need to go back and do some refreshing. But I also noticed he says he'll address the II-V minor in a later chapter and I wonder if anyone else was just playing it as the I minor anyways? IE: he's saying (now) to use the Gminor over the Em7b5-A7b9, but I've been just playing Dminor over it. I suppose it's a little "6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another", eh?

I gave his solo a first listen. Why the hell can't I sound like that? I know all those things he's playing....it's all very familiar now, right? But I'll be dammed if I can put it together like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    That sample solo is great and very inspiring. Learned and memorized it first time around.
    I definitely need to learn it. I think he does such a good job of moving between changes and making it sound natural and that's something I struggle with so much. I guess that's why he's a pro and we play in our living rooms.

User Info Menu

I'm WAAAAAYYYY behind, guys.
    Been working on other things---including my own songs, which must be a priority because, well, they're mine---but I realize that I need to find more time for Fewell's material or else I'll lose what I have gained so far.

I'll be paying attention. Not sure when I'll post again. Happy to see this group is rolling along!

User Info Menu

Same here, Mark.

But with me it's my learning style. It always takes me years to work through a book because I like to fully ingrain everything. I find it difficult to move on to the next chapter, even when I know it would do me good.

Derek

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    Same here, Mark.

I find it difficult to move on to the next chapter, even when I know it would do me good.

Derek
    Moving on doesn't mean you can't review past chapters...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    I gave his solo a first listen. Why the hell can't I sound like that? I know all those things he's playing....it's all very familiar now, right? But I'll be dammed if I can put it together like that.
    Ha, I'm with you! I guess that's why he called it A Melodic Approach rather than A Running-Patterns-Over-Changes Approach.

My first time through this book I was also doing Howard Roberts' Superchops course, and I used that course as an opportunity to really strongly ingrain these patterns over different sets of changes. As a result I am reasonably comfortable with the patterns and switching between them, but I have a tendency to noodle through them in relentless eighth-notes.

It's hard to be aware of what your options are, but not necessarily use them. And to realise that it's fine to repeat notes, use space, only play two or three notes in a measure, and so on. That's where it helps to slow down and remember that melody is the goal, not hitting the 3rd of every chord.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Ha, I'm with you! I guess that's why he called it A Melodic Approach rather than A Running-Patterns-Over-Changes Approach.
    I learned the first 16 bars tonight, and it's not just a Melodic approach, but it's also rhythmic. His solo really swings. I know he's talked numerous times about paying attention to that, but it's one more thing to work on..for me anyways.

User Info Menu

Just me playing GF's solo. And getting fancy with the video effects....

User Info Menu

Excellent!

User Info Menu

Here's a quick run through Fewell's solo with a metronome... a couple of rough spots, but whatchoogonnado.

User Info Menu

Good job, Jay!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Bahnzo;1040762]Just me playing GF's solo. And getting fancy with the video effects..../QUOTE]

Loved it! Can't wait to get this solo under my fingers. Thanks for the inspiration.

User Info Menu

Here's a quick run through Fewell's solo with a metronome... a couple of rough spots, but whatchoogonnado.
    Well done Jay!

User Info Menu

Here's my crack at "Lovers No More". It starts with a run through GF's solo, and then a couple of choruses of my own nonsense:

User Info Menu

Here's my crack at "Lovers No More". It starts with a run through GF's solo, and then a couple of choruses of my own nonsense:
    Nailed it! I'm still working on the solo and can only hope that my results are half as good. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Great job, Jay!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I'm WAAAAAYYYY behind, guys.
    Been working on other things---including my own songs, which must be a priority because, well, they're mine---but I realize that I need to find more time for Fewell's material or else I'll lose what I have gained so far.

I'll be paying attention. Not sure when I'll post again. Happy to see this group is rolling along!
    Me too!! But the last couple of days I've been working on the book, reviewing from the beginning and I'm on CH 3 review right now.

And my own stuff, just released:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    Just me playing GF's solo. And getting fancy with the video effects....

That sounds really great, both of you. That's a long solo to take on.

User Info Menu

Here's my take on Fewell's Exercise 6.1. It took some work to get it this far. I took a little extra time to learn the melody as well as the solo.

Funny thing, I was ready to put up a video of me playing the exercise on my L5 at 108 bpm. On a whim, I picked up the 175 and bumped the bpm to 120. I think I was relaxed because I already had a decent, post-able clip. So what you are seeing is the only time I was able to get through melody + solo at 120 bpm.

On to chapter 7, although I already know that I will be spending a lot of time reviewing previous chapters.

User Info Menu

losaltosjoe, really well done. I enjoyed that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    losaltosjoe, really well done. I enjoyed that.
    +1!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Here's my take on Fewell's Exercise 6.1. It took some work to get it this far. I took a little extra time to learn the melody as well as the solo.

Funny thing, I was ready to put up a video of me playing the exercise on my L5 at 108 bpm. On a whim, I picked up the 175 and bumped the bpm to 120. I think I was relaxed because I already had a decent, post-able clip. So what you are seeing is the only time I was able to get through melody + solo at 120 bpm.

On to chapter 7, although I already know that I will be spending a lot of time reviewing previous chapters.

Pretty sure that was exactly what that was supposed to sound like. :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro