The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello all, first post here.

I can say that I registered in this forum to ask your help here. It’s been driving me crazy.

I am trying to transcribe the solo that Doug Raney is playing on his version of Billie’s Bounce. You can find the video of his live version on YouTube. I cannot identify the very first phrase at the beginning of his solo at 0.16

He is playing it on F7 I think but I cannot relate it to any scale or arpeggio that I know. Do you know what he is playing?

Thanks, Enrico

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

At a quick listen it sounds like he starts on the 5th, goes down the F7 scale (including chromatic half steps down from F to Eb), some enclosure around the 5th below (i.e. 6, b5, 5), eventually ends on the flat 5. Pretty typical bop descending phrase really, based on F7 scale with some chromatics.

I can tell you the exact notes if you like, doesn’t sound too hard to figure out. Got some things to do first though!

User Info Menu

ok now I've done the washing-up, here are the notes! Starts on beat 3 of the F7 chord, mostly descending notes:

C Bb A G F E Eb F
    D B C F Eb B

He slurs upwards into the last F and B notes.

Only 2 notes not in the F7 scale, the E and the B, both are standard passing notes. Ending on the flat 5 (B) is very typical of bop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    At a quick listen it sounds like he starts on the 5th, goes down the F7 scale (including chromatic half steps down from F to Eb), some enclosure around the 5th below (i.e. 6, b5, 5), eventually ends on the flat 5. Pretty typical bop descending phrase really, based on F7 scale with some chromatics.

I can tell you the exact notes if you like, doesn’t sound too hard to figure out. Got some things to do first though!
    yeah. there is a slight clam when he hits the f, so the line sounds a bit awkward. F7 bebop scale from the 5 down to the 7 then 9, 6, b5,5 and 1 b7 b5

User Info Menu

If tune's in F, that line is being played over Bb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    If tune's in F, that line is being played over Bb.
    yes, that's the beauty of the 13 in the F7 scale, it's the 3 of Bb7 as well, so the line works whether the band goes to Bb7 or stays on F7.

User Info Menu

It’s a fairly basic blues in F so first chord is F7.

(edit, ok I see what you mean, it could go to Bb7 in bar 2).

Ok thanks. At present I am doing some transcriptions of several musicians on Billie’s Bounce, including Jimmy Raney version and I didn’t find any difficulty in recognizing lines. This line to me sounded somehow awkward. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s the chromatics or maybe the flat 5 at the end that was tricky. I don’t know. Thanks.