The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hello to all the Friends and Fans of Jimmy Raney,

This is not a Study Group but a Group for Study.

It is a group of guitarists that appreciate the work of Jimmy Raney. Members will work on or study different solos by Jimmy Raney with specific attention being paid to the works featured in Jamey Aebersold's Play-A-Long Book and Recording Set Volume 20.

I was a part of the Jimmy Raney Study Group but found that I could not keep up with the pace of the group nor could I perform the solos at the speeds featured on the recording. Yet I did not to discard the value in learning the solos. So I decided to learn the solos at my own pace and up to a speed that is practical for my purposes.

Most of my professional guitar work comes in the form of Corporate Events, Weddings and Restaurants. None of these playing situations require Burning Bebop Solos. However, they do require creative, practical and melodic solos over recognizable tunes like "Autumn Leaves" or "Just Friends".

I see this group as a place where players can demonstrate work on the Raney solo of their choice. Everyone does not need to be working on the same song at the same time.

Players can:
    upload their progress and/or finished products,
    ask for help, tips, advice, resources,
    inspire and motivate each other

Hopefully we walk away with melodic lines that can be used in a variety of musical situations.

To start us off I will upload some of the Raney solos that i have used in the previous group.

Please join in the fun !!
    It's Raining Raney

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Hi All,

I was a part of the Jimmy Raney study group but quite honestly I was not able to keep up with the tempo of the tunes or the rate that the group was moving at.

I still wanted to learn the tunes so I am planning on performing them here at a tempo that will be beneficial to me.

I play Just Friends at about 116 bpm. So I learned the solo at 116 bpm. I memorized the head and inserted Raney's solo (taken from Jamey Aebersold Volume 20).

I made a few changes to the solo to fit the chord changes that had on iRealPro.

Comments are welcomed.

User Info Menu

I posted this on the other thread but will re-post here. This is the first chorus of "Bout You and Me/How About You" played slower, maybe 125 bpm, with just a "Drum Genius" drum track for backing. I learned this some time ago, and am reviewing and refreshing the solos I have let get rusty. If anyone else wants to learn this solo, maybe my fingerings will help, or maybe someone can help me with better ways to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I posted this on the other thread but will re-post here. This is the first chorus of "Bout You and Me/How About You" played slower, maybe 125 bpm, with just a "Drum Genius" drum track for backing. I learned this some time ago, and am reviewing and refreshing the solos I have let get rusty. If anyone else wants to learn this solo, maybe my fingerings will help, or maybe someone can help me with better ways to play it.

Sounds Great Lawson !!
    I am currently working on this one and it is much trickier than it looks.
    It is very Rhythmically challenging.

I am currently working on:
    "How About You" (it's about 75% completed)
    "Just Friends" in G. I transposed it into G because that is the key that I typically this song in. In doing so I had to slightly alter some of the phrases because they went too high on the guitar and sounded shrill.

User Info Menu

I had a kind of "lightning strike" moment today. I was playing this and big chunks of it "came back" and using the Raney backing track, but with just the bass and drums, I got to about halfway through the second chorus before crashing and burning, all at the set tempo which is 170-ish, pretty quick for me actually. I was quite surprised.

This is a rather tricky solo, but it's really vintage bebop and well worth learning at any tempo.

Just a note: I recorded the Polytone Minibrute II amp using the preamp out for direct recording. Normally I mic this amp, but just decided to try the direct.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I had a kind of "lightning strike" moment today. I was playing this and big chunks of it "came back" and using the Raney backing track, but with just the bass and drums, I got to about halfway through the second chorus before crashing and burning, all at the set tempo which is 170-ish, pretty quick for me actually. I was quite surprised.

This is a rather tricky solo, but it's really vintage bebop and well worth learning at any tempo.

Just a note: I recorded the Polytone Minibrute II amp using the preamp out for direct recording. Normally I mic this amp, but just decided to try the direct.

That sounds great !
    I have done approximately the same amount of that solo but not at that speed.
    Great work Lawson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    That sounds great !
    Great work Lawson

This is my second time around, though. Actually I've thought about trying to adapt these solos to a solo-guitar model, chord melody of the head, then somehow use the Raney solo as the frame for some kind of chord-melody-with-lines thing. I have no idea how that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    That sounds great !
    Great work Lawson

I came across this video. It is not directly related to the work we are doing here but it has some interesting ideas.
    I thought I should share this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joelf Guest
    Jens is a good cat. We met in the Hague, where he lives. He knows what he's talking about...

User Info Menu

I'm refreshing the solos I've learned so far, and this is chorus 1 of "Hotel Grande" based on "There's a Small Hotel." I actually think it's one of the prettiest solos in the book. Not quite at the full tempo, but close.