The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 298

User Info Menu

"...all you've said is the roots of the chords move by intervals."
    Yes, basically that's it. It's so simple it's hard to accept sometimes. It is liberating. The chord quality is up to the artist's intuition and taste, his experience. It's a creative process, involving the freedom to explore, not a theoretical construct. Have you tried it? As soon as you reduce it to guidelines like what chords Wayne Shorter tends to like you are making it somewhat pedantic and squashing the creative exploration.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

reading some comments reveals several are way way ............................. out of their depth.

User Info Menu

Wayne Shorter and the Real Book are not related.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marvinvv
    reading some comments reveals several are way way ............................. out of their depth.
    Why don't you enlighten us and contribute something instead of just sitting there and lazily calling out others that you perceive to be beneath you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1

thanks rag...good stuff

ever since I heard McLaughlin play a steel string acustic on My Goals Beyond..I prefer that sound/feel on slow tempo " oblique jazz" tunes ..

you capture that feel very well..

scales/chords be dammed !!

User Info Menu

I used to think that when musicians spoke of "function" they must have meant what I heard as change, motion, orientation, shape, posture, etc. attempting description of the aurally perceived uniqueness of the sounds of all possible harmonies globally with respect to the tonic or locally among each other. I noticed only a few had been named, but took the word to extend to all of them, because they all sounded different in their sense of "pressure" and "direction" and other more subtle things...

Later I was disappointed that function classifies relatively few of these different wonderful sounds into a small set of group labels, including a majority exclusion group. I have not worried about function since then - it can't offer or approach the harmonic resolution that actually comprises music.

User Info Menu

Hey Pauln... Function is an incredible tool for performing, composing, arranging etc...Those three little labels are just general catorgories. Keeping it short.... shorter, The trick I was taught about using Function... from Contempory Composers, (I've studied with a lot), as well as with Jazz players whom compose lots of tunes...anyway is to use Function, or organized labels for the power of harmonic movement, as just another tool, to help organize what your playing or composing. Function opens a huge door of subs... which in turn creates more options for creating relationships and developing them..... So the trick is to understand what's under those three little labels, and how to...Expand Functional Relationships through the use of other harmonic organization. I mean the obvious are... Blues, Blue Notes, Modal concepts, MM, Harmonic Rhythm yada yada... the only limits are our unawareness.

Get into the SD thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marvinvv
    Wayne Shorter and the Real Book are not related.
    Thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Christian -

Okay, here it is. I expect yours soon!

Background:

I listened to Wayne and Miles' versions and a couple of others. The vid I put up is Wayne doing a live solo (not on the original). Sounds too lyrical to me to be true to the chords I've got, as I said, but that's okay; the crowd liked it.

So it's a question of finding decent notes over the chords. I'm not CST but I thought each chord/sound had to be done independently, but with coherence.

Don't forget it's just me at home, there's no band. The backing is sparse which probably only makes the whole thing rather bleak.

I used the Real Book version of the chords. If that won't do, or isn't right, too bad. It's what I had.

Not wrong... but I don't say 'these are the scales'. I took what were probably the 'correct' versions and tried them. But I threw some out because I preferred other sounds in context.

The Fm11 ought to be Dorian, I suppose, but I went for Aeolian because it was softer. I thought Dorian was harsh, at least the way I played it.

The EM7#11 ought to be Lydian but I used C# mel because I preferred it. Likewise the GbM7#11 was Eb mel.

I used Bb alt over the Bb7+. All the Db7#11's, again, should probably be Ab mel but I did Db alt.

I thought about using a Db triad over the AbM7#5 but didn't because it was too obvious. So I stuck with an Fm sound.

Cm7 was Dorian. That was good enough. And the Dmb6 was just a sort of AM7 sound.

I'm perfectly sure a better player could make something more of it but I do what I do. At least you have a version. Which, apart from its bleakness, sounds okay to me - but I could be too close to it to see it clearly.

Sorry, you get the tune twice. Gets you in the mood :-)

Thanks for the atmospheric rendering of this tune...

I'm learning this tune ATM. I notice a strong feeling towards a sort of Abmaj7#9 or G/Ab tonality at the chord the real book has as Abmaj#5... I'll dig a little deeper tomorrow. Lovely melody.

I've always heard Dbm7b6 as an inverted Amaj9 type thing too. Hear it's a pedal point so the sound is a little more disguised if that makes any sense.

Once I feel I've properly internalised the melody I'll have a stab at it. The chords are slow, so the challenge here comes less from making the changes (as it does in some other Wayne tunes) and more from playing compelling melody ... but then that's true of any ballad I guess...

User Info Menu

Appreciate your encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Get into the SD thing.
    Scale Degree? Subdominant? Social Distancing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I used to think that when musicians spoke of "function" they must have meant what I heard as change, motion, orientation, shape, posture, etc. attempting description of the aurally perceived uniqueness of the sounds of all possible harmonies globally with respect to the tonic or locally among each other. I noticed only a few had been named, but took the word to extend to all of them, because they all sounded different in their sense of "pressure" and "direction" and other more subtle things...

Later I was disappointed that function classifies relatively few of these different wonderful sounds into a small set of group labels, including a majority exclusion group. I have not worried about function since then - it can't offer or approach the harmonic resolution that actually comprises music.
    Hi pauln,

I think it is not quite correct even in concern of traditional classical functionality. Or maybe I misunderstand your post.

I will try to make a post today demostrating function in classical music in the most essential sense (not as terminology but as living vivid tool - that was actually a basis for one of the most exquisite and elaborated artistic languages.

Besides classical to me 'function' can be anything that obtains a more general structural quality. As I said somewhere above - one particular chord (like Cmaj7 for example) can become a particular 'function', a turnaround can become a function (as ii-V often is in jazz) --- in specific contextual relationship.
    Function is always some sort (even minimum) of abstraction... a bit more than 'what sounds right now.' A generalization.

In tradtional painting there can be for example different composiotional elements - like background and foreground (just as an example) and they can be expressed through different elements (figures, landscapes etc.) and techniques (light, perspectives of different types, colours etc.): so in that case background will be 'function' and the elements will be particular 'sounds/chords/intervals'.
    Note that it does not exclude personal meaning and value of particular figure or element of course -- on the contrary - they can be functioning on their level too.. this is what makes subtlty and complexity of artstic language.
    Last edited by Jonah; 05-07-2020 at 02:27 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Thanks for the atmospheric rendering of this tune...

I'm learning this tune ATM. I notice a strong feeling towards a sort of Abmaj7#9 or G/Ab tonality at the chord the real book has as Abmaj#5... I'll dig a little deeper tomorrow. Lovely melody.

I've always heard Dbm7b6 as an inverted Amaj9 type thing too. Hear it's a pedal point so the sound is a little more disguised if that makes any sense.

Once I feel I've properly internalised the melody I'll have a stab at it. The chords are slow, so the challenge here comes less from making the changes (as it does in some other Wayne tunes) and more from playing compelling melody ... but then that's true of any ballad I guess...
    Getting the timing on the tune's a bit tricky.

Is that a Dbm7 or just a Dbm (with a b6)? I think mb6's are generally considered as inversions of a M7. So if you had a normal Dbm6 at the 9th - 9x899x - and dropped the Bb to A, voila, it's an AM7/C#. Which means it takes A major or C# harmonic minor. But I ended up playing F# Dorian over it (because the notes of the melody are more like that) so who knows?

As you say, making something of it improv-wise is the thing.

User Info Menu

Or A Lydian (which is F# dorian anyway)

So everyone uses x 4 7 4 5 x which is like your cliche ‘modern chord’ haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Hi pauln,

I think it is not quite correct even in concern of traditional classical functionality. Or maybe I misunderstand your post.

I will try to make a post today demostrating function in classical music in the most essential sense (not as terminology but as living vivid tool - that was actually a basis for one of the most exquisite and elaborated artistic languages.

Besides classical to me 'function' can be anything that obtains a more general structural quality. As I said somewhere above - one particular chord (like Cmaj7 for example) can become a particular 'function', a turnaround can become a function (as ii-V often is in jazz) --- in specific contextual relationship.
    Function is always some sort (even minimum) of abstraction... a bit more than 'what sounds right now.' A generalization.

In tradtional painting there can be for example different composiotional elements - like background and foreground (just as an example) and they can be expressed through different elements (figures, landscapes etc.) and techniques (light, perspectives of different types, colours etc.): so in that case background will be 'function' and the elements will be particular 'sounds/chords/intervals'.
    Note that it does not exclude personal meaning and value of particular figure or element of course -- on the contrary - they can be functioning on their level too.. this is what makes subtlty and complexity of artstic language.
    While that sounds fascinating,
    I don’t think we are really interested in the classical definition for the purposes of this thread.

Which does rather raise the question ‘what is (and isn’t) a functional progression in jazz? And what’s lazy shorthand?

I think what jazz musicians mean by functional is that the music has some sort of easily identifiable cadential motion.

this crops up in Wayne tunes of course.

User Info Menu

While that sounds fascinating,
    I don’t think we are really interested in the classical definition for the purposes of this thread.

Which does rather raise the question ‘what is (and isn’t) a functional progression in jazz? And what’s lazy shorthand?

I think what jazz musicians mean by functional is that the music has some sort of easily identifiable cadential motion.

this crops up in Wayne tunes of course.
    I would not speak on behalf of other people...

What I offered was not 'classical definition'... it is more general idea of function in any artistic system. that is why I offered comparison with painting.

Cadential motions mark the momemts of form but function is more general idea.

Of course you can call function anything you like - but it is nice when the term has some relevence to its direct meaning... function is - in brief - purposes - in music or other arts it is connected the purposes are in the contents (one cannot discuss functions without understanding contents)...
    the contents is vast: from you want it softer or louder, or morw quiet more anxious to you speak about God, Love, your hometown - whaever...

Like...
    There are functions in the factory, and there are positions that are involved in relization of those fucntions, and persons who occupy positions.

In music it is basiclaly the same
    Last edited by Jonah; 05-07-2020 at 04:58 AM.

User Info Menu

So everyone uses x 4 7 4 5 x which is like your cliche ‘modern chord’ haha
    I didn't know that. Seems okay. Easy to get to from x4546x.
    Last edited by ragman1; 05-07-2020 at 09:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Don’t know what I was thinking with that Abmaj7#9 thing listening again today...

User Info Menu

Here’s an initial Jordan Klemons style approach to this. I’m doing his thing of taking the melody notes and extending the chords up to them. That’s why bar 1 is Fm9 here, not Fm11. The melody note is the extension used in all these voicings, hence the difference with the real book. They don’t necessary represent the way Herbie for instance voiced them.

once that’s done, I unpack the appropriate major or minor triad, and add a tension tone, usually a note from the seventh chord not represented in the triad.
    Attached Images Attached Images One way of thinking about Non Functional Harmony-7e9cbdc6-f565-4f0c-bfbc-ff24d2cf07d2-jpg 

User Info Menu

Actually a D triad with an added 4 might be better in bar 14

User Info Menu

I think this song is in a bluesy C minor with some references to Db half whole.

Your mileage may vary.

User Info Menu

Don’t know what I was thinking with that Abmaj7#9 thing listening again today...
    No... :-)

I'd have to hear the JK thing before passing judgement

User Info Menu

Or just play a Dbm and to hell with it

User Info Menu

Although your scale choices suggest you hear it more in Fm, Rag.

User Info Menu

So, a couple of points of comparison with other Wayne tunes I know.

Again, like Deluge we have this Db7#11 to Fm resolution. This is really not that strange in terms of standards harmony.

This resolution is actually very old fashioned (like 20s/30s). I think Wayne likes it because it harmonises the b5 of the blues scale... so here I’m tending to think of Fm as the key now.

I hear Wayne thinking of a link between that Bb7 and the Db7. Diminished symmetry.

The melody that descends from the b9 of Bb7 could be thought of the Db7 Lydian Dominant, but Wayne has a lot of form using the diminished scale and symmetry so I reckon that’s what it is. It also fits both the Bb7 and Db7 chord. But he does use the b13 on Bb7 which is more consistent with the standard altered sound.

Again we have this movement - Cm Dbmaj7#11 much like Speak no Evil.

Move back and forth from Cm to Db7#11 is typical bebop style thing - see Night in Tunisia.

(The Abmaj7#5 obviously has an intimate relationship with F melodic minor.)

So that leaves us with 3 unusual chords.

First the Emaj7 and Gbmaj7 in bars 3 and 4. These are relatively unrelated to either Fm or Cm. They also don’t belong to a common mode. Their movement to Bb7 is also not an obvious functional relationship. Gbmaj7 is not that unusual in Fm but we would usually expect it to move to Fm or C7

The melody here goes Ab-Gb-F. You have a nice contrary motion with the bass which reminds me of a Inutil Paisagem by Jobim only the other way around.

then we have this Amaj7/C# or C#m7b5 thingy. As the previous chord is on the same note (Db7#11) you can see this as a darkening modal interchange.

And that’s all I have for now on how this tune behaves, I need to properly learn the melody and listen to what the musicians on the recording - especially Wayne - play.

User Info Menu

I can't remember what I did now but in the first post I said 'And the Dmb6 was just a sort of AM7 sound', so that's probably it. Maybe a bit Ab6-ish in the end.

You know, I've been thinking. This stuff might be money for old rope. Think of a strong but meaningful sort of melody, put some random changes underneath it, and give it to a top bunch of players. Instant hit. I reckon it's much harder to write a really good song that stands the test of time.

That one may be Iris for Wayne, I don't know. I heard someone describe his 'Dance Cadaverous' as beautiful the other day so I looked at it. Put the changes down and just did the melody on it. You can listen if you want. Complete nonsense, really :-)
    Last edited by ragman1; 05-09-2020 at 01:15 AM.