The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

I think people think jazz is wanky alienating music with too many chords and no groove.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

for sure , christian, i dont think i ever played a great up tempo with players who didnt take too long solos , and it is well executed , that the audience didnt apreciete it greatly .

and like you said, a really hip medium tempo hard swinging jazz blues should reach out to anyone who likes the blues

the "jazz world" took it to another leval , of course there was a natural progresion of finding new things , but, the critics left the audience behind. people dont really support avant guarde . i played avant guarde n the beginning along with all other styles of jazz, (except the armstrong style back then haha figure that?) and was a cuban fan playing bongos and congas and boogaloo congas on funk bands.

but you cant build an audience unless you are critic annointed and totaly at the top

what i really loved about the greats and seeing them pass through chicago when i was younger, they seemed to have a lot of tricks. about how to pull the audience in to their story . they were manipulating it purposefuly not just existential stream of conciousness. art blakeys soloists seem to start out dynamicly and slowly build to a huge climax , with no noodling or fumbling around, or going backwards on the intensity. it was seriously directed and geared to pull you in and tell a story

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I heard somewhere the stylus would literally jump off the wax if it was too loud and muck up a perfectly good cylinder.

But this is a little later, and I think the technology had improved. Perhaps an early jazz buff could confirm or debunk?

The Hot Fives and Sevens didn't actually represent a gigging organisation. It was a studio super group lol.
    I've played early jazz (on upright) in venues with decibel meters that would cut the power. It was always the trumpet, not the drums, that triggered it.

User Info Menu

Cool, striking how close that is to a samba rhythm (and FWIW early samba recordings like Pelo Telefone did not have drums other than some handheld percussion)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    Cool, striking how close that is to a samba rhythm (and FWIW early samba recordings like Pelo Telefone did not have drums other than some handheld percussion)
    i think Afro-Bahian rhythms form the basis of samba AFAIK?

User Info Menu

Bit late to this thread but fantastic insight in the the Hot Five/Seven ''groove''. I've probably listened to those records more than any others in my jazz collection. Love me some Louis.

User Info Menu

Fabulous

User Info Menu

How the hell did i miss this? Wonderful. This is like a Christmas present to my ears.

The clave is in everything, yo!

User Info Menu

I tell you what rather like Bonsritmos I don’t think I fully understood this era of jazz. When I started feeling the opinaje it made it so much more fun and involving to play.